AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts from folks who are running B&k avr 507. I am proceeding down a path to upgrading HT system and plan to start with the a/v receiver.

Perhaps even a simpler question--- I was originally pitched a yamaha 2400 and was somewhat curious how much happier I would be with the b&k?

Any thoughts appreciated. thanks all!

·
Registered
78 Posts
MUCH HAPPIER with the 507...(I also have the 2400, it runs my bedroom system).........

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have used the 507 before I decided to go separates. And it definetely one of the best if not THE best receiver out there. The only one that really gives it a run for its money is the Denon 5803 IMO. But the 5803 might have a slight edge in processing power with it's dual Sharks but it is also current limiting so the amp section isn't as good as the 507.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also very curious to hear more feedback from current AVR507 users. I am getting a new setup in the next couple of months, and I am seriously considering the 507 vs the Denon 5803 and also vs the Outlaw 950/770 combination. From what I have read so far, the Outlaw setup would have a definite power and punch advantage, the Denon seems to lead in the feature department, and the B&K has great convenience with a smoother, warmer sound than the others.

·
Registered
334 Posts
One of my thoughts was to buy the Denon 3805 and then use the Outlaw Monoblocks as the amplification, or the B&K507. I might have to post this question outside of this current thread so I won't hijack it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BertWilson
the Denon seems to lead in the feature department, and the B&K has great convenience with a smoother, warmer sound than the others.
Denon and B&K promised to upgrade to i-link loooong time ago, as I remember for Denon in 5800 :D It's leading in the features development ... LOL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This reply is probaly a bit late for you, since you have already purchased the unit. I have purchased a couple of 507's last year after doing tons of research and reading posting on this site. The first until I purchased was from a dealer that was dropping the BK line and I was able to purchased for $2,400, no doubt, a great price. I took it home and was inspired, the layout, connections, shell, all quality. However, my inspiration was repressed after listening to pops, humming and other unexplained noise from the unit. I took it back to the retailer and was refunded the full $2,400 - I thought I purchased a bad unit.

Since I really wanted to like to unit for the sonic values, I decided to give BK another chance, so I took my original reciept (from the 1st purchase) the local tweeter and purchased a second unit for $2,400. Another great price.

After lugging the unit up to the media room (it's heavy), I reconnected it the speakers, DVD, etc. Much to my dismay, I got the same humms, pops, etc from this unit. I spoke with BK and they thought it was bad power at my house until I informed then it was a new house and the electrical was earth grounded and I have a Richard Gray conditioner.

I was also not impressed with the 2-channel ability of the unit. So, I took it to a local high-end shop and compared it to a Rotel receiver. IMO and others, the Rotel sounded better, it was more detailed and controlled the low-end much better.

Instead of opting for another reciever, I purchased the rsp1066/1075 combo, did more comparsions at home. IMO, the Rotel combo at $2,400 MSRP beat the BK at $3,500 MSRP hands-down. The final decision is yours, I really wanted the BK and really wanted to love the sound quality, but my ears were the true test. I suggest you do the same. Listen to opinions of others, but in the end, it's your money that pays for the unit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really the first bad thing that I have heard. I did demo it at several dealers and did not experience these things. The nice thing about paying up for equipment is having the flexibility to send them back!

The pricing I experienced at several locations was a little higher than $2400 but not by much. At the end of the day, you may choose to pay more or less for intangibles like service, etc.

After I play with it a bit, we can catch up on the hissing and popping. Man I hope I dont get that noise.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bilesja
Really the first bad thing that I have heard. I did demo it at several dealers and did not experience these things. The nice thing about paying up for equipment is having the flexibility to send them back!

The pricing I experienced at several locations was a little higher than $2400 but not by much. At the end of the day, you may choose to pay more or less for intangibles like service, etc.

After I play with it a bit, we can catch up on the hissing and popping. Man I hope I dont get that noise.
I just ordered a REF 50, and even though it's not a receiver, I will also report back if I get any noise.

·
Registered
331 Posts
B&K stands behind their products in the event of problems. Excellent warranty service and telephone advice from their technical people is common. The problems cited by ngpier are not typical. However, if I was in his shoes, I would of bought something else too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello, all!

I just found this site, and I usually don't join (in fact have NEVER joined) in discussion or "chat" rooms, but your conversations are so intelligent and helpful that I decided to take the plunge.

I have recently moved, and had to leave behind my dedicated home theater :( I am now in the process of setting up a new system :) in our new home. I was driving PSB Gold i speakers with an AVR 5700 receiver as part of that system, and absolutely LOVED the combo...very clean and powerful for both music and movies. However, I am having the same question now...B&K seperates (Ref 50 and 200.7) or Denon AVR 5803, or perhaps the new Yamaha RX-Z9 (which I haven't heard). I haven't had the opportunity to actually listen to my PSB's (which I'm going to keep for sure) with the B&K units, but I will say that the local B&K rep is actually hyped about me bringing my PSB's into the store to A/B them with the Denon 4802 he has there (they don't have a 5803 in stock).

First I must say that I think there's something to a dealer that allows you to bring your speakers to the store to demo the receivers/amps (but for what we're talking about in terms of $$ here, they should), which speaks well for both B&K and Denon. My question to you all is (and this may not be fair)...is the sound from the AVR 4802 going to be comparable enough to the 5803 to even warrant using it as a stand-in for the 5803 in an A/B with the B&K's? Anyone who has experience with this??

I'm also interested in all your opinions and info as to where you may have purchased an AVR5803, as I've read many posts saying that they paid around $2700-2800. The lowest I've found in a search on the web is $3100 or so.

One last thought...the iLink on the Denon allows direct connection with Denon's 5900 DVD player (although apparently SACD is not yet supported through this yet...an upgrade is supposed to be coming from what I've heard). I think this is worth consideration, as the other units we're discussing here do not have this capability, or am I wrong?

Whew! Too much info, but thanks for any input you guys can give!

-Doc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.