AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell, these two rec'rs are very similar. The main differences appear to be:

1) Onkyo has 96/124 DTS, while B&K does not (not a big deal?);

2) B&K has MX-700 remote, while Onkyo has regular, but good remote;

3) B&K has a few more ins/outs than Onkyo;

4) B&K 150wpcx7 and Onkyo 130wpcx7;and

5) $500 more MSRP for the B&K.

Any one care to offer their advice or opinion? Thanks!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I used to sell Onkyo and I sell B&K and others these days and my opinion (as that of my friends working with me) of Onkyo as a brand is that it sounded harsh and cold. To me sound quality is paramount so I'd pick B&K, Denon, HK etc. before the Onkyo

I also believe feature for feature the other receivers are better too.

Just MHO

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
When you sold Onkyo did you tell your customers that you thought it was cold sounding?

As a previous owner of the higher end of all brands that you mentioned I thought that the Onkyo was warmest and Denon was coldest.

My reason for no longer owning them: 1. Onkyo - fan noise 2. B & K - amp failure in first unit. first and replacement sounded sterile 3. Denon - nothing good to say 4. HK - buzzing in unit and speakers.

I now own seperates at no more cost and better sound.

As you say, just HMO.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
I have previously owned both the Onkyo 989 and the B&K AVR307. While both are previous versions of the newest models, the greater difference is in processing. Basic design and constructiuon remains the same.

That said, I consider the B&K appreciably superior in the amplifier section, and marginally better in the analog stage. Beyond that, there is only variation in features in the digital front-end and one should base a decision on what offers a feature set most suited to one's needs. In my case, the B&K was the preferred piece in this area as well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
"When you sold Onkyo did you tell your customers that you thought it was cold sounding? "

When customers asked about my preferences in sound I was honest with them if that is what you want to know.

I was not allowed to disparage a brand in any way and tried numerous times to like the sound and convince myself it was the room/speakers or what have you. It just is not my taste. I quit in part because it was hard for me to sell that product that I wouldn't buy myself.

Interesting you found Onkyo warm sounding. I have an Integra dealer friend of mine that loves the sound but I've never ever heard anyone say it was warm sounding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.