AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seems that when I turn my volume up past 0 on the B&K I get a humm out of the speakers. As I turn the volume louder the humm gets louder. It sounds electrical. I called B&K and they said that this was normal. Has anyone else had the same experience?

·
Registered
393 Posts
sejngordon,

I'm making an assumption here that your not listening to music or a DVD at the 0 volume setting. That would be very very loud. Hearing a little "humm" with nothing playing at that volume level IMO is normal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sejngordon
I seems that when I turn my volume up past 0 on the B&K I get a humm out of the speakers. As I turn the volume louder the humm gets louder. It sounds electrical. I called B&K and they said that this was normal. Has anyone else had the same experience?
You probably have a mild ground loop. 0 is very loud on the b&K.

try searching hear for 'ground loop'. It is proably coming from cable tv hooked to one of your components.

·
Registered
983 Posts
A great deal of amplifiers and preamplifier combo's have this noise. Many receivers mute the volume when the receiver is not playing so you turn it up and no noise. I know the B&K does not. It is just another circuit that isn't needed unless to fool people that a component has a greater S/N ratio than it does. It is common to hear some noise and normal with most stuff when cranking the volume with no signal present.

The point is to have the noise floor 90 db or greater less than the signal so that it is inaudible and completely masked with music playing. The higher the signal to noise ratio the better especially with sensitive speakers. B&K isn't the very last word in S/N ratios but it's not bad at all and I don't think you should worry about it int the least. The 0 position on the B&K is indeed very loud. In fact I'd be surprised to find an Amp/pre combo or receiver, that doesn't mute when no source is present, to be completely silent.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.