AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting rid of my B&K ref 30. I am leaning towards a Sunfire Theater Grand II or maybe even the Outlaw 950...(once people start posting about its sound).

I am wondering if anyone has ever done a side by side with the Ref 30 and the Sunfire. I live in a very rural area (pass 5 cow farms to get home) and the nearest stereo store is about 50 miles.....so the chances of me ever hearing both side by side are slim to none. I like the Ref 30 alot...with exception of its bass management...(just ordered an Outlaw ICBM yesterday). I am looking for a litte bit warmer sound than the B&K. Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ross,

IMO I don't think that there is much difference in sound quality between the Ref. 30 and Sunfire. As far as I know the Outlaw 950 is not out yet. What amp or amps and speakers are you using with your Ref. 30? What don't you like about the Ref. 30 bass management?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Just wondering why your getting rid of the ref 30?

Not that I blame you, just wondering if it has something to do with the upgrade delay or if it's just the sound as you indicated......................... Sorry no experience with the Sunfire.

The Outlaw 950 is really getting a lot of attention for a unit that is not even out yet. It looks like a real sweet piece though. I will be purchasing one as soon as they come out, at that price, why not!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running 3 Acurus A250 amps, 2 Denon Poa-2400 amps & Denon POA-2800, Mirage M1, M3, 895is and Boston VR16 Center. For sub bass I use 2 klipsch sw-200's and 2 orion 15" subs that are mounted inside my seating platform. They are more for thump than sound, and are powered by one of the denon 2400's(200wx2).

I just ordered an Outlaw ICBM and will decide after I add that, if I will keep the B&K. I just cant seem to get a good bass balance with the built in management.

I keep reading that the Sunfire has an almost tube like sound and I think that is what I am after. The B&K while very accurate, seems maybe a little harsh. This could also be my speakers, but all but the 895is and the Boston center have been totally rebuilt with new drivers.

The center channel, while not a Mirage, is the only center I have found that can handle decent power and maybe is tonally close to the Mirages. My chance of finding 2 Mirage MC-SI centers is pretty slim.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though not one of my major considerations for getting rid of the Ref 30 I now have.........The upgrade delay with B&K is a joke. When I first bought a Ref 20, the salesman stressed the whole time I was there, that B&K's upgrades were a reality and not like other companies....who never produced them. This salesman also sold me a line about how the upgrade would be about $500 and that B&K may even "institute a trade up plan"(send them your 20+cash, and they will send you a 30). I bought my Ref 20..just before the 30 came out. I called B&K multiple times about the 7 channel and bass management upgrades. That was about 1.5 years ago, I believe. Talking to Jerry in service there is great. He knows his stuff about the B&K products, but like everyone else is in the dark about any upgrades. I think I first talked to him in july of 2000. He said try back in feb of 2001. I called april of 2001. Got another service person...who said they were in the process of locating parts for a possible upgrade. Soon after my 20 hit Ebay and I bought a used 30 from a friend who moved up to a Krell unit. The upgrades for the Ref20....with exception of the RS232 upgrade are not available.

I am not holding my breathe about any upgrades for the 30 I now own. I'm wondering if any other B&K owners were told similar things by their salesmen and what their experiences with calling about upgrades are....

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Sunfire Theater Grand II is not the "standard" 7.1 controller, it has two front surrounds, not the side and rear as industry standard. I did an in home demo for 30 days on this unit, it is very musical and good for HT. IF you are really looking for bang for the buck, the Integra Research RDC-7 is awsome. I purchased it after demoing the Sunfire. It has a great upgrade path, compaired to the "Send us an additional 1K and your unit for a new one", which I hear is on the horizon. The RDC-7 had an upgrade, $50 got you a cd and a cable for your computer to download yourself. Can't get much easier than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.