AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the Ref 50 and the 200.7 for about 3 weeks and I have to say that I’m impressed with the system to date. I have gone thru a couple of pre amps and receivers in the last couple of years and I have finally found one that covers all the short falls of the previous units. The new blue display and blue power light on the amp are really an improvement over the green, I can see the display on the Ref 50 from across the room, but unlike the green displays, it doesn’t seem to distract you when viewing a movie in a dark room. The remote control (MX 700) is great, viewing in the dark, every thing is backlit, and programming it with the computer was pretty strait forward, and the IR on the remote is strong, I have pointed the remote away from the units and they still receive the signal, this is nice when you are sending out macros, so you don’t have to keep the remote perfectly facing the device until the macro is finished. I have replaced my pronto with this remote, it’s that good. B&K included a serial interface to hook your unit up to a computer, they have also included BKcSuite software, which includes documentation for wiring diagrams, owners manual’s, and B& K ‘s Suite software for interfacing and configuring your unit with a computer, for example I uploaded my current Ref 50 setup and modified the favorites and my custom config’s and system setup with my laptop, then I saved the setup and downloaded into the Ref 50, I really like having this feature. Also the users manual on the disk (1002 update) shows the Ref 50 as a Signal to noise ratio of 98db (not 89). The DAC’s are AKM AK4394 192/24 bit, not Burr Brown’s like I have read on another site. The unit seems to run considerably cooler then the Ref 30 or even the Sony 9000 preamp, this may be due to the Ref 50 being a larger unit (better convection cooling) then the Ref 30. The 200.7 amp is identical to the Ref 7270 amp inside with the exception of the added balanced connectors on the back of the 200.7.

I would say the sound in direct 2 ch. mode sounds about the same as the Ref. 30. The surround sound of this unit is really where I notice the difference between previous units, the center dialog is very legible and precise. Both the rear and back surround speakers sound incredible, they really come alive. I’m not sure how much of this is due to the THX Ultra2 movie mode or the preamp improvements. Dolby Prologic 2 sounds really good, I have a large collection of older Laser Disc’s and PLII movie mode seems to greatly improve the surround sound effect. I really like the overall warmth, smooth and very detailed mid-range and very deep bass of the B&K, especially compared to my Sony TA9000, Onkyo 939 and Pioneer 49tx (which I had hooked up to the 7270 amp, because the Pioneer had a problem of shutting down), which tended to be very bright sounding on my Infinity Ref 6’s and my Def Tech’s.

I have just finished watching Ice Age and Star Wars II with the family, both movies sounded great, better then any movie theater we have ever been in. Everyday I'm more impressed with the B&K units.

Doug

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for the review:)

I am expecting to get my Ref 50 next week(I cant wait).

Fred

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thanks for the review. I feel the same way about my 3 1/2 week old Ref50, Ref200.5 :)

ps. I plan on adding a Ref200.2 in the next few months.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've audtioned most of the big boys... Lexicon MC1, Proceed avp, Theaturemaster ovation, Meridian 861, and after I heard the Ref50 I must say it's one of the best I've heard period. The dialogue is the most precise I REMEMBER hearing, didnt' do A/B tests mind you. I did directly compare to Rotel RSP-1066.. NOT EVEN CLOSE.. sounded completely mechanical vs's the ref 50.. this is a winner.. Just wish I had the bread these days to upgrade..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Doug,

Glad to hear you're pumped on the 50/200.7 combo - nice hardware!

Quick question. Are you using the XLR or RCA interconnects? If XLRs, do you have a couple RCAs laying around that you could wire up to compare their relative performance (just your mains should do)? The reason I ask is that B&K is "firesale"ing the 7270 Series II. I understand this is the same amp as the 200.7 except it does NOT have XLRs and it DOES have channel gain adjustments. I've been told there's a 6db difference in S/N between the two connection types - I'm skeptical to say the least. If you do play around with your wiring, please be careful - I wouldn't want to be the cause of any smoking amp boards or speakers. Thanks in advance.

Austin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great question, I have in fact tried both and I really do not hear any difference, I have inside pictures of both the 7270 and the 200.7, they are exactly identical inside, except they removed the channel gain adjustments and in there place are the XLR connectors , and your right, the price that B&K is letting them go for is really hard to justify paying a lot more for the 200.7, there is one exception though, the 200.7 has radius edges to match the Ref 50, the edges on the 7270 are strait. Hope this helps.

Doug

·
Registered
226 Posts
How would the ref50 match up with a Sherbourn amp?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Raistlin

I dont think that B&K has authorized internet sellers, but I could always be wrong

Chim

The Sherbourn amp would be a good match up for the Ref 50. They have a new 7.1 amp and they are experts in amps. Their pricing is very good

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Chim,

I will let you know about how it mates with my Sherbourn 5/1500A by friday(hopefully):)

Fred

·
Registered
774 Posts
B&K does not allow internet sales. I can recommend a dealer in your area who will give you a good price, but you must get it from an authorized dealer to get the warranty.

[email protected]

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've had my ref50 for a little more than a week but have been away some of that time. I'm still doing callibrations and getting used to the software and all the surround modes. I haven't tried programming the remote yet. I will say that Music oriented DVD's sound just awsome. The Last Waltz, Down From the Mountain, Buena Vista social Club, Grateful Dead's View From the Vault 3, Eagle's Hell Feezes Over, all sound incredible. With the projector/ 100" screen going the musicians seem to have pretty muched moved in to the theater. Even at 'can't talk' concert volume the sound is clean and involving. Not the least bit abrasive or harsh. I watched one movie all the way through (Insomnia) Soundscape and diaologe where both excellent. I haven't listened to a lol of pure stereo yet as the all these new bells and wistles are too much fun to play with. I will post more impressions after I have lived with the unit for a while. -Noam

system:

B&K REF50

Toshiba SD9200 DVD / DVDA

Adcom GFA555II (200 WPC x4units)

Infinity Kappa 7 main's (modded w/ dyanaudio softdome tweets)

Infinity Kappa 6 center (modded w/ Morrel softdome tweet)

Infinity RS4b surrounds

Infinity RS6b rear surrounds (modded w/ Morrel softdome tweet)

Shiva sonosub (DIY)w/ Parts Express plate amp

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looking forward to more indepth impressions.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Internet sales are grounds to have your dealership pulled. You have NO WARRANTY if you purchase from an unathorized dealer. So be careful out there.

The PC configuration software is amazing to me. I would buy B&K for this if all other things were equal. Makes the sophisticated setup a breeze.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I know of an Authorized B&K internet dealer.

Would it be fair to say that the amp in the AVR 507 is a slight step up from B&K's lesser series 7 channel power amp, and several steps below its Ref. 7 channel PA?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks, Doug. Great info. At just under $2k, the 7270 is pretty compelling.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVNut
Great question, I have in fact tried both and I really do not hear any difference, I have inside pictures of both the 7270 and the 200.7, they are exactly identical inside, except they removed the channel gain adjustments and in there place are the XLR connectors , and your right, the price that B&K is letting them go for is really hard to justify paying a lot more for the 200.7, there is one exception though, the 200.7 has radius edges to match the Ref 50, the edges on the 7270 are strait. Hope this helps.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.