AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently stepped up to a new DVD player (Denon DVD-2900) and need some help configuring the DVD-A/SACD input for the Ref 30. Does anyone have a Ref30 configuration that works well with this setup? Presently I have the DVD input set for DVD-A, and a dedicated preset for DVD-A. The sub-woofer output seems low, I have to crank the B&K sub level to max and the 2900 sub level to max as well. This is all new territory for me since I have never had a DVD-Audio or SACD player.

I have configured the 2900 as recommended by Denon, however I am not fully satisfied with the sound just yet. Additionally I don't have any DVD-A or SACDs to do sound comparisons.

I have the B&K software suite if that is any help. Please advise.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Andy,

Can you try upping the level control on the subwoofer, then backing down your subwoofer level for DD/DTS decoding?

The only other option is to pick up something like the Sony TA-P9000ES and using that, or some other option. It sounds like the sub/6th channel out is not at an appropriate level.

Finally, if you aren't using an SPL meter, your results will almost certainly be off for the sub, on the "too high" side.

When I used the Ref30, I setup the DVD input for the digital input and something else (Maybe the input designated TV I don't recall which) for Multi-channel audio. Whatever way you want to work things is up to you :)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
I have configured the 2900 as recommended by Denon, however I am not fully satisfied with the sound just yet. Additionally I don't have any DVD-A or SACDs to do sound comparisons.
Maybe the sound will get better with some hi-res software.:D

It will!

John is correct,

Pick an unused input other then DVD for your DVD-a/SACD.

Rename it SACD & apply the B&K DVD-A input to that source.

It will now read as SACD DVD AUD and can be your dedicated hi-res 5.1 analog in put for both.

Now make your dvd digital connection to the dvd input on the Ref30

Now this would be setup for DVD video's.

If you plan to make this player your cd player also,

I think the 2900 has two digital outs, run the other digital to the ref30 CD in.

You may want to compare DACs between the two and use analog.

Within the software shut down any video input on each input source that has no video.

If you need some personal help feel free to PM me,

I will give you a number to call.

-Jerry

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John & Jerry,

Thanks for the input. I will use an unused input, I didn't think of renaming it. As far as the sub level is concerned, I am using a Radio Shack SPL meter. The sub level is still not equal with the other channels when the Ref30 and 2900 at set to max. I will try John's suggestion by upping the sub volume control, then re-calibrate the system.

I tried the 2900 analog out vs the Ref30 digital in last night. The 2900 had better imaging and better definition. The only advantage the Ref30 had was a larger sound-stage and better bass. Still using normal CD right now.

I have been stuck on video for years, I forgot how much fun audio can be. Overall I am extremely pleased with both the audio and video performance of the 2900, it's a big step up from my Sony DVD-S7000.

Thanks Again,

Andy

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Odd I am also having a problem with the sub level on the 2900. DVD-A seems fine but when i play 2 channel audio from the Denon using the on board DACs the sub is barely on. I can feel it producing something when i touch the cone but its VERY low. I have this with 2 channel discs. I am also confused by the 'bass extender' feature, what is it supposed to do?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.