AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new at the home audio forum, and I was hoping you could give me some advice.

I'm considering purchasing a used B&K Reference 50 and Reference 200.5 locally for a fairly good price (don't want to list because of rules).

My budget is around $1500 but I'm willing to go up to $2000 if it means I can get something that won't need upgrading for awhile. I think the 200.5 should be good for quite a while.

I've heard great reviews about the 200.5 and almost certainly will pick it up.

I'm afraid to buy the pre amp because I'm afraid it is outdated and I will want to upgrade again in 2-4 years. Note that I want to upgrade my speakers to Paradigm signatures and that is still 1-3 years out.

My main interests are sports, movies (I don't have a blue ray yet), and very light music.

I also don't have the speakers for 7.1 but would like to have this capability in the next 1-2 years. Also is it feasible to get the 200.5 now and add a 2 channel amp later?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm definitely going to have him demonstrate both units before I buy anything.

It seems the 50 must be factory serviced to update (unlike the 70), so I need to verify what firmware is on the unit. Any other things I should look out for?

The guy I'm buying this from also has a Marantz AV8003. Would this be a better buy if I can get him down to a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk_reef00 /forum/post/0

I'm definitely going to have him demonstrate both units before I buy anything.

It seems the 50 must be factory serviced to update (unlike the 70), so I need to verify what firmware is on the unit. Any other things I should look out for?

The guy I'm buying this from also has a Marantz AV8003. Would this be a better buy if I can get him down to a reasonable price?

The AV8003 rocks but I think with that budget you could get a killer deal on the new AV7005....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts