AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro:
Hello everyone, I’m Scott and I guess consider myself Mid-Fi. I had a lot of friends in the late 90’s - early 2000’s that were much more serious than me. I often inherited deals on their used equipment as they got new. It was in the last hurrah of the MD days and we often recorded live shows of our friends’ bands and local bands and would share/critique each other’s recordings.

My 2-ch rig:
B&K AVR 505 powering a pair of Klipsch KSF 8.5
B&K ST-260 powering a pair of Klipsch KSB 2.1, inverted on top the KSFs

Issue:
I lost a neutral in my house wiring and had a brief power surge. I was quick to shut the main breaker off but lost a coffee maker and unfortunately, the ST-260 wouldn’t power up after the wiring was fixed. My gear’s power is hooked up through a surge protectors. The amp’s rear panel fuse was blown so I replaced it. The amp powers up now but immediately produces a constant loud hum/tone. So, obviously the amp suffered some damage. (I haven’t inspected the inside, and didn’t notice any burnt electronics smell)
There’s only one audio gear repair shop in my area and they only work on vintage stuff.
Question:
Is this amp worth the effort and cost to repair? I’m really not excited about having to ship this heavy amp around the country.
Thanks for reading my post and any advice in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here’s a couple photos of the inside. Definitely something mildly acrid in the back corner of the top PCB board. I plugged in the amp and briefly powered it up, then back off. Almost immediately the acrid smell intensified, however near the center area of the PCB boards. No smoke or obvious visible indications from what I can see of the PCB board components. I just need advice if the amp is worth seeking out a repair shop.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Here’s a couple photos of the inside. Definitely something mildly acrid in the back corner of the top PCB board. I plugged in the amp and briefly powered it up, then back off. Almost immediately the acrid smell intensified, however near the center area of the PCB boards. No smoke or obvious visible indications from what I can see of the PCB board components. I just need advice if the amp is worth seeking out a repair shop.

View attachment 3124946

View attachment 3124961
Hi -

Don't know where you are but check out Stargate Electronics, they are in New York and have been fixing B&K equipment since they were bought out by ATI. Ask for Steve, he does alot of the work himself. He does charge around $120 diagnostic fee to check it out. I sent him a B&K Ref 200.7 that he fixed for me back in the day.

Hope this helps ya

Toys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I’ll have to contact them, however I live in South Cemtral Pennsylvania and shipping the amp won’t be cheap. So, if I modestly estimate shipping $25 each way + $125 for diagnostics, I’ll be in the amp $175 before taxes and actual repair costs. I bought the amp for $200 and that’s about what they’re selling for on the used market. Might just run the the Klipsch sets in parallel for a 4 ohm load, which I think the AVR505’s output is rated and can easily handle and try to find a buyer for the amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts