AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys who have had your reference series processors 20 or 30 upgraded think of the upgrade

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just got mine back and will be posting my comments sometime later this week. B&K was great about getting the unit back to me with a nice new manual-REF 31. Later.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get the new face plate

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I also have the Ref 20. Not sure if I want to upgrade or go straigh to the Ref 40. Only problem with upgrades is that although you get the same software as the newer version, the reale estate on the Ref 20 doesnt allow you to upgrade to component switching or other things like it

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the ref 30 so the only thing I am missing is the balanced inputs which I don't care about anyway I purchased it used for the purpose of the upgrade because of the great deal I got on it. I just was wondering if the up grade was worth it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just got mine back and believe it is worth it-you get THX Ultra 2, music and cinema,DTS neo six, and PL 2. The sound is great and you have even greater flexibility with setting rear speakers and the sub. All and all a nice deal. You do not get a new face plate, but you do get cool blue lights that show it is a Ref 31 and a new Ref 31 manual. I think it is a very transpaent pre amp anyway and it is just as goods or better when you get it back with all the new surround options.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the blue light in the display or on the face plate.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It is on the unit. When you power it up it says Ref 31. The display light was red but now is a cool blue. I think the question to ask your self is do you want the new surround options. If the answer is yes, by all means I think it is worth it. If you don't then it probably is not. I personally really like the ULTRA 2 surrounds because it makes better use of the 7 channel capabilities of the unit.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Randybes,

In your honest opinion, if you were given a blind test would you able to tell any difference in sonic quality before and after the upgrade

(specifically ,with DD and DTS performance) ? Have you demo'd the Ref 50? If so, does it sound exactly the same as the Ref 50 after the upgrade?

Other ref 30 owners have said the 30 and 50 sound very similar with a slight edge to the 50 ( again only with dd dts, we all know the 50 has more video switching, PLII, balanced outputs etc etc)..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is only one more component input on the B&K ref50 than the ref30 and as far as sound goes its the same DAC,s and processing in the upgrade so how they can sound difference has to be in the setup if they do

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I believe they upgraded the DACs (not for sure just read it somewhere, B&K didn't mention it) but to be honest, I don't know whether I could tell the difference sonically when evaluating straight stereo anyway-but I am not a big believer that components that are well made with good parts would sound different so I would not upgrade for that reason. I would and did upgrade for the additional surround modes and the additional set-up options (THX 2 boundary, setting the rear speaker distance between speakers etc.)

I have not demoed the 50 but I doubt that for straight stereo I would tell a DBT difference. I think I could tell a difference based on the set-up options between dolby digital one for the other because there are things you can do with the 50 that you can't do with the 30. That being said, I don't know if they were set-up the same. I wouldn't have upgraded for that reason though. As I said, I upgraded for the additional surround modes.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's good news, for folks in my situation where I want to spend around $1k for a used B&K Ref 30, and later upgrade as you have done. I love the ref 50 warm sound.. so if the 30 and 50 sound very close as others have also noted, then this is good news indeed.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Randybes what are the new options for the rear channels are you referring to and what about boundary confiscation how does it work? Also according to B&K yes the DAC's are the same as the ref50 hence they are new in the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well,

THX 2 makes use of the rear channels so it is not just on DD EX if you choose to use it. You now set the distance between your rear speakers. Please see the thread in audio theory on my question about boundary compensation. I think it compensates for a bass boost from normal rooms when using a THX sub or other sub that truely goes down to 20HZ but don't quote me on that:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got the 307 also but have decided to hold off. I was so excited going from my ancient Denon AVR-2500 (DPL only) to DD 7.1 that this upgrade seemed to be only a nice to have, not a need to have. Perhaps when more movies make use of the back surrounds it will rank higher on my upgrade list. OTH, DPL II would be really nice for TV watching. (Click, Click, the sound of the 307 moving up the upgrade list :eek: )

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
how much is the upgrade?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For which product.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.