AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was in search for a Harman Kardon avr3650 or 7550hd or Elite SC-35 and was offered by a friend of mine a hand-me-down B&K avr507.

Strictly speaking of sound quality, how would you order these? Is the B&K going to be that much better than the elite and the HK?

My sound preference tends to lean toward warm and airy

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANPre /forum/post/20853457

My sound preference tends to lean toward warm and airy

Do your current loudspeakers and room acoustics lend a "warm and airy" sound? Properly functioning modern components will add/subtract next to nothing from objective sound quality.

AJ

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The B&K is a very different animal from the Elite or HK.

The b&K is a better quality product in my opinion, however, it is also very outdated and does not have many of the features of newer and new AVRs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your opinion. In my listening tests done back when I purchased the DTR7 , I felt the same way. I only purchased the DTR7 because I found a super deal on it. I now regret that.

I wasn't sure if Harman Kardon and / or Elite models of today can compete with the sound quality of the older B&K ( I have since moved and higher end audio equipment is non existent in my area - so I can not do listening tests without a 5+ hour drive)

Judging by your comments, the B&K is still the way to go as far as sound quality, am I right? I remember back in 05, there was a definite difference in "presence" between B&K and Elite / Harman / Onkyo / Denon.

The other features sure are nice, but I can live without them as my music comes first - then the movies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.