When I saw this story in today's New Atlas email newsletter, I thought it must be a joke. But April Fool's Day is long past, and this turns out to be legit. Bang & Olufsen's Play division —which focuses on portable speakers, headphones, and the like—has teamed up with Danish craft brewer Mikkeller to create Beobrew, an American-style IPA that is infused with music.

Wait, what? A music-infused beer? What the heck does that mean? Mikkeller lowered a B&O Play A1 portable speaker —sealed in plastic—into the fermentation tank and played music from an iPod for two weeks. The playlist was curated by Le Gammeltoft from Heartbeats to "tailor the music to the taste." Danish performers were selected, including Balvig, KIKOS, Louis Petri, Moody, and October Dance.

Mikkeller lowered a B&O Play A1 portable speaker into the fermentation tank in order to "infuse" the brewing beer with music.

According to Mikkeller head brewer Kyle Wolak, "By playing music in the fermenting tank, we are adding a fifth ingredient that takes the beer to a new level. As the music plays, it pumps out a unique pattern of vibrations that assists the yeast during fermentation and encourages the yeast to produce more flavorful esters than it would have without the presence of music."

An iPod was loaded with a playlist of contemporary Danish music curated by Le Gammeltoft from Heartbeats.

The result is a 6.8% IPA that is described as having a bright and aromatic taste with citrus-fruit and floral notes. Aside from the effect of the music—if any—the taste is attributed to the use of Simcoe and Centennial hops from the Yakima Valley in Washington, USA. Beobrew is bottled in amber glass with a hand-drawn label by Philadelphia-based designer Keith Shore.

How can this process possibly affect the taste of the beer? I have no idea; in fact, I seriously doubt it can. Still, I'd want to do a double-blind taste test with two glasses of the same beer—one glass with the music-infused version and the other left untreated. Actually, I'd prefer someone else to do that taste test; I really hate IPAs!

Beobrew will be available this summer in Mikkeller bars in Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Spain, and the US as well as Ace Hotel locations in New York and Los Angeles. You can also order it to be delivered to your home at Mikkeller's website .

Here's a short video about Beobrew: