AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using the TMT5 trial and also mpc-hc with a Radeon 5670. Under normally lit frames, the BR picture seems at least as good as DVD, maybe better - but in low to medium light the playback is EXTREMELY grainy at 1080.

DVD playback is perfect on my HTPC, but not BR. So far I have made these adjustments in the Catalyst Control Center with no luck:

* disabling Edge-enhancement

* disabling De-noise

* uncheck 'Enforce Smooth Video Playback'

* change auto de-interlace to "Vector"

* disable dynamic contrast

The Blu-rays that are grainy on my HTPC are perfect on my PS3, so that rules out the TV.

Any other setting that you can think of or should I try out powerDVD?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Could depend 100% on which movies you're talking about - is it film grain? If so, that's intentional and you're seeing exactly what the director intended. W/o getting into a big discussion on that here (it's been beaten to death), there might be nothing wrong at all...

·
Registered
332 Posts
what ati drivers do you have?

i tried 10.11 today and blu-ray looked like **** (had the same experience as you, normal light scenes did not look as sharp as they use to and low light scenes looked absolutely horrible). went back to 10.7 and looks great again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/19637828

what ati drivers do you have?

i tried 10.11 today and blu-ray looked like **** (had the same experience as you, normal light scenes did not look as sharp as they use to and low light scenes looked absolutely horrible). went back to 10.7 and looks great again.

I am running the 10.11. Hopefully I can find the 10.7 online.

Let me give the 10.7 a shot and I will post an update. My fingers are crossed...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.