AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Avs is having a great sale on b-stock sony projectors now and mine arrives April fools day. I'm hoping the jokes not on me. I have never purchased directly from AVS before though I did help a friend to buy a b-Stock sony pj a few years back.

I don't know what to expect this Tuesday and I was hoping other members might share their b stock experiences.

-Brian

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the sony hw30es.

I'm replacing a sony vw60 that I've had for five years.

The hw30es will be my fifth pj. I started in 1999 with a Sony VPh1271. After I had a marquee 8500 followed by a sony vph G70.

This will be my first 3D projector... I have a plasma 3DTV elsewhere. I used to view 3D on my vw60 via a 3D-VIP device but the vw60 really lacked brightness for 3D.

One of my kids is sad to see the old projector going because it was always behaving and so on and she's not sure where it goes from here.

I'm hoping to craft a custom cable to hook up my optoma 3D emitter to the hw30es directly.... This will let me avoid buying a new emitter and will also let me use a optoma 3D glasses pair I already have.

I hope to use rf for the 3D and never need to run the cable for the sony emitter.... Also I will never have the glasses lose sync problem.... Also the rf glasses can be tuned to eliminate most ghosting.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,078 Posts
I've purchased new from AVS before and couldn't have been happier with the deal. When they had a few B-stock Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4K units last year, I jump at buying one for a substantial savings. B-stocks are supposed to be very little used (demos and such) with under 200 lamp hours and come with full warranty. At almost half the MSRP, I could live with that. In my case, Sony sent them new units, I guess it was the last of their 1000ES inventory to make way for the 1100ES. So that's what I got....a new one for B-stock price.

I would have been happy with an almost new one for the money I saved. AVS can also be trusted to take care of their customers too. They're great people to work with and very helpful. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I buy everything I can B-stock/open-box/refurbished - I've had great experiences over the years and saved a ton of money. No matter how large your budget it will always go further if you take b-stock. Let somebody else be the sucker who takes the depreciation hit.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tend to buy refurbished a lot... With B-Stock you sort of roll the dice it seems... sometimes they are new, sometimes they are returns, sometimes they are refurbished...

Lucky for me I see mines coming a day sooner.... Wonder if I'll even be able to tell what it's history was.

·
Premium Member
24,828 Posts
I got a B-stock JVC RS10 from AVS and it was fine and trouble free.

In any case if there are any issues you can be sure AVS will take care of you.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Not to rain on everyone's parade but I purchased a B-Stock VPL-VW90ES from this current B-Stock sale and I'm going to be calling the return hotline tomorrow to return it. I'm convinced there's something wrong with my unit. The native contrast on my unit is horrible and even with the dynamic iris engaged it can't match the black level (or come relatively close) to my Sharp XV-Z30000 (a DLP projector). Convergence is pretty bad and lens quality seems horrible. I say lens quality seems horrible because it supposed to have (from reviews) a lens thats pretty similar to the JVCs. The image is horribly soft and I have terrible contrast performance. Judging from what I've seen and read this HAS to be a bad unit. I've seen the HW50ES and it had far more contrast so seeing how this is a step up model with more native contrast this should have better performance. Anyways tomorrow is the last day for me to call them to return it within their 15 day time frame. I still have 2-3 hours on it so I'm good there as well. Sigh...

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I do believe AV Science checks out all B stock models after they arrive in Rochester and before they are shipped. As I understand it, its a pretty thorough checkout. Perhaps Mike G can elaborate.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
There was a checklist inside the box I received outlining what was checked. I don't want to power it back on because then I'd probably go over the 4 hour lamp limit and I wouldn't be able to return it. If this is truly the performance of the VW90ES then I am appalled that people payed a far higher price for A-Stock units. Though, I don't think this is the case. I'm almost certain there's something wrong with my specific unit. The only thing I can think of regarding contrast is that the unit is being forced to use incorrect RGB levels and that's why the image lacks so much contrast. In the menu there is a setting to manually select which RBG levels (PC or Video) you want to use. When changing them NOTHING happens. There is also a "Black Level" setting which does work but doesn't add to what I'm seeing as very poor contrast performance. I'm fairly certain it should look better than my Sharp Z30K. I know a Sony VPL-HW50ES did. Either way, even if I was using improper RGB levels I should be able to fix it by changing Brightness in the menus. Playing with the Brightness setting didn't really do much for overall contrast performance so I'm assuming what's being sent to the projector is correct. The lens and convergence are what they are and I think it's quite far from how a current chassis JVC looks. I think I got a lemon, it has to be because there's no way someone would pay $5000+ for a new one of these with this kind of typical performance. This isn't a knack towards AVScience, I just think my unit is a lemon.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My B-Stock HW30es arrived today.

It was in original packaging.

It appears as new.

All timers read 0 hours.

Barring any thing weird that could come up, I'm totally satisfied.

Plus, it's beautiful.

-Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brian,

I am looking to buy HW30ES "B-Stock" from AVS , there are still couple left

Glad to hear your projector has 0hrs on the lamp. I would like to get some feedback on this projector being it's 3 years old. I am unable to view a demo of it , most stores have HW55ES which looks amazing but outside by budget. Trying to decide between Epson 5030 & HW30ES.

My current Sony LCD proj is on it's death bed. Thanks & enjoy your new PJ.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The lamp timer has 0 hours and the operation timer also has 0 hours.

I am certain I will be happy with this pj for tens years. I'm that impressed with it.

4k? Maybe later.

·
Registered
31,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by av4fun  /t/1524808/b-stock-experiences#post_24556003

Brian,

I am looking to buy HW30ES "B-Stock" from AVS , there are still couple left

Glad to hear your projector has 0hrs on the lamp. I would like to get some feedback on this projector being it's 3 years old. I am unable to view a demo of it , most stores have HW55ES which looks amazing but outside by budget. Trying to decide between Epson 5030 & HW30ES.

My current Sony LCD proj is on it's death bed. Thanks & enjoy your new PJ.

Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
My RS4810 is a b stock from AVS (from Mike who is always great to work with) and the unit performs just like new. I put on just over 100 hours (the lamp was at 0 when I got it) and recently got it calibrated - it's been great. Really nice image once calibrated (by Chad B).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
AVS is the gold standard for a B-stock experience. That is really all there is to say about it.

·
Registered
31,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1524808/b-stock-experiences#post_24568343

My RS4810 is a b stock from AVS (from Mike who is always great to work with) and the unit performs just like new. I put on just over 100 hours (the lamp was at 0 when I got it) and recently got it calibrated - it's been great. Really nice image once calibrated (by Chad B).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n  /t/1524808/b-stock-experiences#post_24568672

AVS is the gold standard for a B-stock experience. That is really all there is to say about it.

Thanks guys. Nice to hear from customers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts