1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am pretty sure I got it narrowed down to these two sets of speakers:

The B&W 303 series

The DynAudio 42 series

I know these are not elite level sound systems...but I think they will suffice for a MidFi set up.

I was hoping I could get some opinions from anyone that has listened to these speakers.

And I wanted to know how you all would best test these at the store? I plan on taking a few CD's with me. One jazz, one trance, one pop/top 40 rock.

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

no one has an opinion? too low end for you guys to have tried? :(

ANY advice is helpful..I am going to do my sound test tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just installed a b&w 3 series 5.1 system(303,lcr3,asw300). It's mainly a home theater setup so I didn't test too much stereo music on it. I'm not totally convinced the 303s are the best choice for stereo material, but the system as a whole is quite good for surround sound. I haven't heard the DynAudio speakers, but listened to Paradigm Titan/Atom, Boston Acoustic, and MK and found the B&W system to be the most balanced, but not always the best in all categories (frequency response, imaging, sensitivity,etc). The build quality of the 303s are top notch, and they back it with a 5 year warranty. So I guess I would recommend the whole B&W package if that's what you are looking to buy. It's a good system that's well above the Bose,Polk,Infinity,JBL stuff you find at large discount chains.

Some things to keep in mind at the shop:

- bring material you are familiar with

- listen at the level you normally listen to music (is don't crank it up unless that's how you usually listen)

- remember that the room makes or breaks the system, a truly top notch shop should let you buy one and swap it for another with no hassle if it doesn't work out.

Hope this helps you out in some way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! :)

this is the kind of info I can use. unfortunately I need this system to pull double duty as ht and audio station..although I primarily listen to music from my pv via kilpsch pro medias or sennheiser headphones...

thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to testing it all out. if you don't mind, would you feel comfortable telling me how much you paid for that 5.1 speaker setup..becuase that is the EXACT B&W setup I am considering..and I have no real frame of reference for cost when I walk in there...all I have seen is the price at the B&W website.

thanks again, I hope you enjoy your new setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by exsilio
thanks! :)

this is the kind of info I can use. unfortunately I need this system to pull double duty as ht and audio station..although I primarily listen to music from my pv via kilpsch pro medias or sennheiser headphones...

thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to testing it all out. if you don't mind, would you feel comfortable telling me how much you paid for that 5.1 speaker setup..becuase that is the EXACT B&W setup I am considering..and I have no real frame of reference for cost when I walk in there...all I have seen is the price at the B&W website.

thanks again, I hope you enjoy your new setup.
The speakers were part of a package deal so i don't have the exact breakdown, but I figure they were about $1000 or so. The list is around $1200. Two things to remember: B&W are should by 'hand shake' deal so no online retailers to drive down the price, and these are pretty low margin speakers so don't expect a huge discount.

Maybe i can help you out a bit more if you post some more info about your equipment setup and room.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Cagec,

thanks again, this info really does help.

Well my equipment isn't that impressive, but it works for me aesthetically and functionally. Until I can afford better.

Sony C70ES DVD/Receiver: 6 ohms / 120 watts per

No reference equipment here, although ES is supposed to be decent line for Sony.

Room is medium sized. I have some Energy Take 5.2's I got from good guys, but I feel I still truggle to hear dialog...they sound great and got good reviews, but I really want to get some nice speakers...dialog in movies is very important to me..as is music..I liek to hear it as crystal clear as I can...or can afford. ;)

thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by exsilio
Hi Cagec,

thanks again, this info really does help.

Well my equipment isn't that impressive, but it works for me aesthetically and functionally. Until I can afford better.

Sony C70ES DVD/Receiver: 6 ohms / 120 watts per

No reference equipment here, although ES is supposed to be decent line for Sony.

Room is medium sized. I have some Energy Take 5.2's I got from good guys, but I feel I still truggle to hear dialog...they sound great and got good reviews, but I really want to get some nice speakers...dialog in movies is very important to me..as is music..I liek to hear it as crystal clear as I can...or can afford. ;)

thanks again
i hooked the B&Ws up to a similar yamaha receiver (RX_V630) which seems to be a good match. i think i mentioned that the lcr3 center was a strong point of the system. you won't have much of a problem hearing dialog. i even tested it alongside some higher end MK and B&W L/R pairs and it held up well even with $4500 a pair mains. the sub is also a pleasant surprise in how well it fills a room. that was actually my biggest reservation given the larger room size the system is in, but it really kicks out the LFE.

also the maple cabinets fit the decor of the room very well, which is a plus.

i think you will be happy with the sound of the system, and considering the price you're getting quite a bit for the money.

enjoy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. I have my CD's ready to go test tomorrow...let's hope I hear good things.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have 303's and the LCR3 center. I went with the vtf-2 sub from hsu research. the sub is $500 and I've read reviews that say it performs as well as B&W's $3000 sub. That might be a stretch, but it sure blows away the $500 B&W sub (ASW600).

I listened to the Dynaudio's when I bought my B&W's. I liked the Dynaudios a little better, but they are $700 a pair and the B&W's are $300. Needless to say, my budget allowed for the $300 pair! :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
B&W's and Dyns...

IMO, the non Nautilus line B&W's sound thin in the mids compared to the Dyns. I have not heard the 303's but have heard the 603's and 604's which are the next line up for B&W and felt that the Dynaudio Audience series sounded better. Smoother highs and stronger mids. Keep in mind that Dyns are not the most sensitive speakers and are 4 ohm loads so you'll need good amplification to drive these loud.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for all the info!

Well I thought the Dyns were 399 a pair, not! They are, as noted, $70...a lil too much for the budget...however I lsitened to the 303's and did note the slight lack of midrange some of you noted, however the 600 S3's are smaller in sizer, but better sounding...and just $50 more for the pai..so I piced 2 pairts of those, the ASW 300 sub and the LC60 center for great dialog..it was more than I aniticpated spending..but isn't that always the way? hee hee

Well now I need stands...any recommendations? They can get rediculously expensive..I saw some that I liked, aesthetically and functionally, but they were made by Linn and cost $220 a pair..yeesh! They had some for $99 a pair, but they were not very attractive.

So if anyone has tips for a good place to buy stands in the San Jose area, or online lemme know. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking at the same exact setup. Liked the Dynaudio's but they are a bit over my budget. I have listened to the BW 303, but will try out the 600s as well. Can you tell me were did you get your setup in the bay area and what did it cost. The only price reference that I have is from BW website!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Roy,

Yeah the Dynaudios were just too high for me as well. I am upgrading other components besides the speakers so I had to budget myself...mostly..I did go a tad over budget. Reason being...I needed stands...but decent stands were $225 for a pair...so for that money I got to think maybe I should get the floor standing versions for the fronts..so I did. :) about $125 more than the stands..but I think this will make the music even better when it is pumped in stereo mode.

So I got the:

Fronts: 602.5 S3 (x2)

Rears: 600 S3 (x2) (303's were nice, but were a bit too bright and cold...the 600's were smoother by far...to my ears at least; and the upside? they are smaller than the 303's, so perfect as a pseudo satellite speakers)

Sub: Subs really cost...so I went with the ASW300...I would have liked the 600, but I didn't NEED it...and the cost is a lot higher for 600.

Center: LCR 60 S3 (walking in to the sotre I figured this would be the first place I would upgrade since dialog in movies is very important to me. it's big, but worth the extra cash)

Stands: Linn Katan Stands (x2)

Regarding cost, well I didn't get a deal...I know margins aren't that high at this end of the pool...so I didn't feel like haggling. The prices you see on the BW site are what I paid.

And I went to San Francisco Stereo, they have three locations in the Bay area, I would check them out.

http://www.sfstereo.com

Good luck and have fun! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've recently purchased Dynaudio 52's for front speakers, 42's for rears and 42c for centre. they make great HT speakers, way out of proportion to their size, delivering very clear, dynamic sound.

Music CD's sound fantastically detailed too and very natural with excellent spatial detail even with large massed choirs. Typically, B&W's have more pronounced treble, too much for some ears but its a personal thing. My previous speakers were B&W.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Roy-

I too bought my speakers at San Francisco Stereo. Great Store, great service. The 303's are $300 a pair and the LCR3 center is $220. The 2 low cost B&w subs that they have are the asw300 for $350 and the asw600 for $500. I went with a sub from hsu research ( www.hsuresearch.com ), the vtf-2 for $500.

Have Fun!

Pete

·
Registered
538 Posts
I to have listen to the dynas and b&w.i prefer the dynas. but like you no the price is what kills.I do no for a fact the dynas are marked up 100% if the dealer pays 1000.00 it will sell for 2000.00 so keep this in mind when you ask for the best price. I think the audience line is more comparable to the entry NT.so the prices are very close.I no your locale dealers have said the prices are fixed etc .but usually when you tell them nicely you will go buy the other brands because they want to sell product you can get them to open up ( i would never pay retail for a car and i wont pay retail for audio)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am pretty much sold on the speaker, I will go for the 600 (wall mounted) for the four channels and most probably the BW sub. But I am unsure about the amp, the Rotel 1055 at SF stereo sounds great, I am also considering the Denon 3803. Which amp are you using in your setup?

Thanks,

Roy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.