AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is as follows:

Denon 2809 Receiver (running as a pre/pro)

NAD T955 Amp

B&W 683's (F), HTM61(C) and 685's (S)

SVS PC13-Ultra

Panasonic DMP-BD35

I upgraded from a Marantz receiver (SR7500) to the Denon 2809/NAD T955 combo. I did this against my better judgement (to get something that could do the new audio codecs and there was a lot of talk about the 2809). It is typically hinted at that Denon and B&W may not excatly be a match made in heaven. This couldn't be truer...the Marantz receiver had a much "warmer, laid-back" sound that tamed the "revealing" nature of the B&W speakers (which tend to be very detailed, but they can be a bit bright). Well, the Denon has a bright, very forward, very detailed sound that doesn't mesh well with the B&W's. The most annoying thing is the Denon really brings out those S's and T's (vocal sibilance?) present in dialogue. It is to the point of being obnoxious at times.

To those wondering...adding an outboard amplifier does not make the unwanted nuances of a receiver (pre/pro) go away...in fact it can make them worse. Adding the NAD amplifier was the best thing I ever did for dynamic range, bass extension and midrange to an extent. The dynamic headroom was the most notable positive change and the NAD amp has less "rated" power than the Denon (I never used to get startled by loud sounds in movie soundtracks, until now). However, it makes the vocal sibilance problem a bit more pronounced.

These B&W speakers are quite impressive...the Denon just attenuates my full enjoyment of both movies and music. As far as functionality and flexibility goes I have no complaints about the Denon at all (I am a hardcore AV nut, so the "crappy" manual and "difficult" setup didn't bother me).

Long story even longer...now I am trying to decide what to get to replace the Denon 2809 (I am having issues with the surround channels not functioning properly). The NAD amp seems to be a respectable piece of equipment, so I am under the impression that a really good pre/pro wouldn't do anything but good for my setup. Any thoughts or recommendations for pre/pros and receivers?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi Ken,

Did you run the Audyssey configuration on your setup? I have B&W 600 S1 series speakers and have been happy with the sound of the Denon avr-989 (same as 2809) after calibrating with Audyssey.

Bryan

·
Registered
51 Posts
kris7565,

After months of research and reading this and other tech forums, I decided on one of the new Pioneer Elite receivers for my blu-ray HD audio upgrade needs. One of the primary features that swayed me to the Pioneer is the ability to manually adjust it's built-in 9 band graphic EQ, even after running the MCACC room calibration set-up routine. In your case, a slight cut of the 4k, 8k, or 16K EQ frequencies should help with your B&W's. Finally, Pioneer also allows the internal amps to be switched off, if using an outboard amp.

Good luck,

StimpyWan

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb /forum/post/15577474

Hi Ken,

Did you run the Audyssey configuration on your setup? I have B&W 600 S1 series speakers and have been happy with the sound of the Denon avr-989 (same as 2809) after calibrating with Audyssey.

Bryan

Yes...I did run Audyssey. I have played around with the Audyssey and Audyssey Flat curves. I found that both curves, while making the sound a bit "fuller", made things even brighter. I have also fiddled with the Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Volume. I found both of these features to only be of benefit when listening at lower volume levels. 9 times out of 10 if I start a movie with all of the Audysesy features enabled, I end up turning them all off at some point. The one thing I will say about the Denon is that it certainly has a lot of features and it does a great job at bass management. My subwoofer has never sounded better.

·
Registered
580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris7565 /forum/post/15578723

Yes...I did run Audyssey. I have played around with the Audyssey and Audyssey Flat curves. I found that both curves, while making the sound a bit "fuller", made things even brighter. I have also fiddled with the Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Volume. I found both of these features to only be of benefit when listening at lower volume levels. 9 times out of 10 if I start a movie with all of the Audysesy features enabled, I end up turning them all off at some point. The one thing I will say about the Denon is that it certainly has a lot of features and it does a great job at bass management. My subwoofer has never sounded better.

What I'm curious about is whether the Marantz would sound any different with Audyssey enabled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts