AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in and listen to B&W 600 S3 series (602 and LCR 60). I did not listen to CM 2 and CM C but was wondering if anyone had and if there is a big diference in sound quality between 600s and CMs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
IMO the B&W 602s are probably one of the best price/performance speakers in the B&W line. And they sound great with HT and music when you add a quality sub.

I didn't spend a lot of time auditioning the CM series - they appeared to not offer much above the 600 line except real wood cabinets.

The CDM (and probably the new 700 series) are a significant step up in both sound quality, aesthetics and price. FWIW I own the CDM 9NTs.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time auditioning the 600 series and the CM series at the local B&M and the differences were fairly significant even to my non-audiophile ears. The differences were great enough that I would expect some folks who like one speaker would not like the other.

The specific models were the 604 vs. the CM4 in a stereo setup. I also auditioned the 603 vs. the 604. Electronics were Rotel. It was a typical good closed-door listening environment one would find at most dedicated AV B&Ms that carry these brands.

The 600 series are very good speakers, but vocals sounded markedly chesty compared to the CM. The highs were also more open and airy in the CM4 and I was blown away by the difference in imaging.

On the plus side for the 604, I liked the low bass much better than I did on the CM4. I was surprised at this, because they have the same (or very similar) rated bass extension/level. I was also concerned that the CM may have actually been too "thin" sounding in the midbass, accentuating the sense that the 600s were chesty. The two sets of speakers really didn't sound like they came from the same manufacturer - they were that different.

As a point of comparison, I found the 603 and 604 to be very similar in sound (as one would expect) with the exception of better bass on the 604 where I could actually go without a sub (again, as one would expect).

I could see myself liking the 600 series more for HT and the CM more for music.

Just my $0.02.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.