AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay im running my 602's with a denon 2801, I heard them in the store with rotel seperates (sounded amazing compared to my weak receiver). the idea is for me to upgraded the preamp/amp, and universal disc player then i'd be more happy with the sound I'm getting from my current speakers. Then once i've got enough to buy B&W N802's and the rest of the speakers and new sub all at once, buy them.

The question is, what pre-amp/amp combinations are you guys running with 602's and how much better can they sound with great equipment?

I'm looking at Krell HTS 7.1 preamp/amp, Mcintosh mx-132 or mx134 preamp and 5channel amp, or little lower end with B&K REF 50 and 7 channel amp. Thanks so much guys. College kid trying to plan for the future here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I second this question.

Im running 602 s3's in the front, and recently dumped my ($50) sony reciever for the HK-225 (55 watts/channel). The gain is enjoyable, as the sony was hurting the speakers, but with the 225, i can listen at my loud movie levels yet experience no distortion.

I've heard the 'sonic reference' bit about rotel and b&w, and ive heard different b&ws being powered by such, however i have not heard of any blind testing using higher end amps vs. something such as a mid range HK or other high bandwidth consumer (not prosumer) recievers...

I wonder if the money is better spent in other applications, such as room acoustics.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm not running any High end amps or anything, but I'm pretty amazed by the sound my Yammy Rx-v1400 gives out with my 604s and 602s and 601s. It is much better sounding than my friend Onkyo amp he's got with the DM603s.

I did however take my 602s over to another friend's house who has the Yammy Rx-Z9 and WOW...I couldn't believe the sound...very very nice. Though the +1500 difference, I'm not sure if I'd say it was worth it or not...sound quality wise. I think I'll just end up getting a Rotel 7.1 Amp to push the speakers better.

Rotel will definitely make the B&Ws sound fantastic... However I think the Rotel/B&W sound is very close to the Yamaha/B&W sound. Both of with I personally like. SO I figure the Yamaha Pre with Rotel Amp will work wonders.

I will warn you if you get the N802s make sure you have a big beefy AMP...if you have anything less than that, they will sound like garbage. My friend got 6 - 802s and was trying to push them with a high end Onkyo setup, didn't work at all. I got him to get the Yamaha RX-Z9 and Rotel Amp setup, and it was like night and day difference!!!

...which is why I want to get a Rotel Amp down the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.