AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
They do measure better which is a predictor of preference in the 80 percent neighborhood according to research in the field.

Looking forward to your impressions of the 703/706.

Geoff, do you know what the dip in the midrange is from?

I didn’t think that was a crossover point.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Irregardless some people like a boosted treble and for those that do, there’️s nothing wrong with that. It’️s partly why this hobby isnt a one sound fits all.

I didn’️t say there was anything wrong with liking a sound like that.

But the sound is colored regardless, and very commonly heard as harsh.
I do agree with you on that. Not my particular sound flavor either.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I didn’t say there was anything wrong with liking a sound like that.

But the sound is colored regardless, and very commonly heard as harsh.
Are you referring to the sound of B&W being commonly harsh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Odd. I felt the opposite was true but I only listened to a couple songs. I might say that about the Klipsch I tried though. I guess people would describe them as bright. Felt like they would be hard to listen to potentially at high volume.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Odd. I felt the opposite was true but I only listened to a couple songs. I might say that about the Klipsch I tried though. I guess people would describe them as bright. Felt like they would be hard to listen to potentially at high volume.

No problem, Audio is subjective.

If you take a look at the B&W frequency response they use some sort of notch filter (I think) in the 2-3khz range which is where harshness really becomes prominent. But other than that the high treble starts really ramping up which is where you start hearing “detail”.

Kind of tricking the consumer in a way.

The way Klipsch Horns voice themselves can tend to be a bit strong in the treble area, but their latest version of the RP has been said to be much less bright and more neutral. Lots of professional reviewers and audiophiles love them.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
No problem, Audio is subjective.

If you take a look at the B&W frequency response they use some sort of notch filter (I think) in the 2-3khz range which is where harshness really becomes prominent. But other than that the high treble starts really ramping up which is where you start hearing “detail”.

Kind of tricking the consumer in a way.

The way Klipsch Horns voice themselves can tend to be a bit strong in the treble area, but their latest version of the RP has been said to be much less bright and more neutral. Lots of professional reviewers and audiophiles love them.

Yeah I'm consider getting a pair of 600"s. If I like them keep them. And if I don't keep saving. Seems like a win win with Cruchfields bookshelf policy.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Let's not paint B&W as some sort of outlier in the boosted treble game. Lots of speaker companies use this tactic to give the perception of more detail (Klipsch, Polk, Martin Logan, among many others). Even though the treble is boosted and the speaker is not considered neutral, it can still be appreciated for it's other qualities (like Klipsch is appreciated for raw volume capability with few watts and few $).

Frequency response is not the end-all and be-all of speaker design, despite lots of "evidence" to the contrary. The BBC Dip is an obvious example of a non-linearity considered beneficial by many. There are no perfect speakers, and we all make compromises of some sort in our quest for audio nirvana. So, OP, if you like the B&W and have little patience for testing out other options ... let your ears and pocketbook decide.

BTW, I absolutely hate exaggerated treble, but it has it's place, as many others do like it.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

No need to justify a speaker you like that doesn't "measure" as well as some others.

If you like it that is all that should count to be honest.

A speaker that measures well will likely not be a "love it/hate it" speaker and it has been shown that while 80 percent or so of folks "prefer" the better measuring speaker, 20 percent do not.

In my secondary room I have some speakers that measured very poorly when tested by Sound & Vision, but I really like them and have zero desire to replace them.

I've also owned 7 B&W speakers over the decades and liked them all and, best of all, they are each and every one still in use to this very day by myself, friends and family.

I still think you should bring the B&Ws home and if they still please you just keep them and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I was there yesterday and compared them side by side. With the same amp, so whatever I am at home using is irrelevant. I was able to switch back and forth between the two on the fly in the middle of a song. imo the Bowers were clearly better. The reason I started this thread was the question are they worth $800.

I understand this is subjective, but performance wise are there other speakers that are better for less. I care nothing about the look or the brand. That had nothing to do with it. And the Elac debuts are known for being easy to drive, at least that was the consensus when I bought them. Its the next line up that is 4 ohm. But regardless I was able to compare both speakers with the same amp so thats a bit of a moot point.
I have the full B&W set-up: 606 fronts, 706 surround, HTM6. Moved from DefTech SM450/350, etc. Use an SVS SB-3000 sub.

B&W sound magnificent. Well worth the price (which, based on the technology incorporated, is very competitive).

For some strange reason there seems to be a lot of B&W hate/suspicion on AVS. And the "hotness to the treble" seems to be something people throw out not because they've heard it in the new line but because they read it somewhere (people love to regurgitate) or experienced it in an older line. Read the 606 reviews. They couldn't be more positive.

Bottom line is the 606 are completely redesigned and use some of the superior tech from B&W's higher-end lines. So assigning them issues heard in previous B&W models is silly.

In a nutshell, yes, they're worth the $ and also, let your ear be the judge.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have the full B&W set-up: 606 fronts, 706 surround, HTM6. Moved from DefTech SM450/350, etc. Use an SVS SB-3000 sub.

B&W sound magnificent. Well worth the price (which, based on the technology incorporated, is very competitive).

For some strange reason there seems to be a lot of B&W hate/suspicion on AVS. And the "hotness to the treble" seems to be something people throw out not because they've heard it in the new line but because they read it somewhere (people love to regurgitate) or experienced it in an older line. Read the 606 reviews. They couldn't be more positive.

Bottom line is the 606 are completely redesigned and use some of the superior tech from B&W's higher-end lines. So assigning them issues heard in previous B&W models is silly.

Thanks man that's helpful. Do you have a better speaker for the surrounds than the fronts? I couldn't find surrounds in the 7xx series.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Thanks man that's helpful. Do you have a better speaker for the surrounds than the fronts? I couldn't find surrounds in the 7xx series.

Oops. Mean my rear are the 607s. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
5,487 Posts

my guess would be that you can use 6 series for surrounds with no differences heard....:)..to get back to the point of the thread, if you like the B&W buy them and try them at home .. it's your ears ..what you like is what you like , and frankly , if your anything like me sometimes that changes as well , certain things are important to you , whether it's dynamics, treble clarity, linear response , bass .. don't let a buncha nameless guys on a website influence your thoughts as to what you like..we try to give ideas based on info you provide , so keep driving your own hobby , don't let us..;)

Reactions: pase22

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
my guess would be that you can use 6 series for surrounds with no differences heard....:)..to get back to the point of the thread, if you like the B&W buy them and try them at home .. it's your ears ..what you like is what you like , and frankly , if your anything like me sometimes that changes as well , certain things are important to you , whether it's dynamics, treble clarity, linear response , bass .. don't let a buncha nameless guys on a website influence your thoughts as to what you like..we try to give ideas based on info you provide , so keep driving your own hobby , don't let us..;)
Excellent point! We can make suggestions and recommendations, but at the end of the day you go with what works best for you. How I or anyone else feels about your choice is irrelevant.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Geoff, do you know what the dip in the midrange is from?

I didn’️t think that was a crossover point.
No clue but I'm guessing it would be essentially imperceptible.
The crossover point isn’t specified, I would assume the crossover is between 2k-2.2khz. That’s the dip?

There’s also an anomaly at 500 hz, I’m assuming this could be cabinet resonance but doesn’t look strong enough to be considered detrimental. Maybe the best listeners would hear it(?), but probably not your average listener.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I was there yesterday and compared them side by side. With the same amp, so whatever I am at home using is irrelevant. I was able to switch back and forth between the two on the fly in the middle of a song. imo the Bowers were clearly better. The reason I started this thread was the question are they worth $800.

I understand this is subjective, but performance wise are there other speakers that are better for less. I care nothing about the look or the brand. That had nothing to do with it. And the Elac debuts are known for being easy to drive, at least that was the consensus when I bought them. Its the next line up that is 4 ohm. But regardless I was able to compare both speakers with the same amp so thats a bit of a moot point.

Did you read CNETs review? He calls them bright!

Btw, I grew up with my dads B&W 603 S2s and have heard all B&Ws since because there is a draw to them from my youth. The only ones I haven’t heard yet is the new D3s.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I appreciate the back and forth. I'm trying to learn and am open to hear everyone's perspective.

The B&Ws are a pricey purchase for me. But at the same time i want an upgrade to be a true upgrade.

But since the RP600m is so much cheaper but still solid I may have to give them an audition.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,729 Posts
The crossover point isn’t specified, I would assume the crossover is between 2k-2.2khz. That’s the dip?

There’s also an anomaly at 500 hz, I’m assuming this could be cabinet resonance but doesn’t look strong enough to be considered detrimental. Maybe the best listeners would hear it(?), but probably not your average listener.

Most B&W speaker are intentionally designed with an inaccurate colored response, including a notable dip in the 2-3k region

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
The crossover point isn’️t specified, I would assume the crossover is between 2k-2.2khz. That’️s the dip?

There’️s also an anomaly at 500 hz, I’️m assuming this could be cabinet resonance but doesn’️t look strong enough to be considered detrimental. Maybe the best listeners would hear it(?), but probably not your average listener.

Most B&W speaker are intentionally designed with an inaccurate colored response, including a notable dip in the 2-3k region

But if you look at that graph specifically there’s a deep dip at 2100 typical of a poorish crossover, followed by a spike at 3k, then flat from 4-6k before another higher spike to 8-15k Hz, the typical “BBC dip” from 2-5k hz isn’t presented the way it is in the 705 S2.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts