AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase a stereo system for my house and I would like to know your opinions on that specific amp and speaker pairing.

Unfortunately, I am limited to B&W and Rotel pairings and cannot audition them together since I will have to order them.

This system is a little more than what I would have like to pay but seems like the best option here.

I need bluetooth streaming as well as a PC USB connection to the amplifier that is why i moved from the RA-12 directly to the RA-1570.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If you're buying blind it may be wiser to buy second hand that way if you don't like it, you bought it half price so if you decide to sell one, or both, depreciation has already occurred.

B&W & Rotel are a common match, I believe because in the UK the distributor for both makes is the same one.

I'd at least have demo some speakers brands. I do have B&W speakers a pair of old 601 standmounts. They're not bad, but have to be careful with matching amps. Also you could buy some bargains second hand - I bought a pair of speakers for $150, that when new sold for same price asthe B&W 683's!

£1100 is a fair bit of money buying speakers blind

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're buying blind it may be wiser to buy second hand that way if you don't like it, you bought it half price so if you decide to sell one, or both, depreciation has already occurred.

B&W & Rotel are a common match, I believe because in the UK the distributor for both makes is the same one.

I'd at least have demo some speakers brands. I do have B&W speakers a pair of old 601 standmounts. They're not bad, but have to be careful with matching amps. Also you could buy some bargains second hand - I bought a pair of speakers for $150, that when new sold for same price asthe B&W 683's!

£1100 is a fair bit of money buying speakers blind
Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately I have no choice but to buy blind since the dealer doesn't have what I am looking for in store.

Also, Living in Beirut (Lebanon) I will never find high end speakers and amps for sale. If I was living in the UK that wouldn't be a problem I guess.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the 683 S2 and they are very picky with amps. I have not heard it with the Rotel that you mentioned though. I am using a Marantz sr7009 pre out to my Sansui G9000 and it is excellent. Love the combo. They do love power

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
There's no doubt that combination will have great synergy. However, the speakers are always the most critical part of a stereo system. We can't tell you that you will like the 683 S2s or not. That's where auditioning comes in so it's unfortunate you are unable to do so (but very understandable). If you have had experience with other models of B&W speakers and liked them then there is a better chance you will be pleased with the 683 S2s. I owned a pair of 683 S2s and really enjoyed them. IMHO, they were much improved over the 683 S1s with the new tweeter and better bass response (most likely due to cabinet redesign and new woofers).

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I would also add that the 683 S2s sound best when crossed over at 60-80 Hz and in combination with a subwoofer. I imagine the Rotel unit you are looking at doesn't have bass management capabilities.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If you have had experience with other models of B&W speakers and liked them then there is a better chance you will be pleased with the 683 S2s.
Yes if you've heard a speaker from that range you can buy a speaker from that range, although it's still risky - when I demoed a couple of the larger B&W speakers I preferred the smaller one. I found the biggest B&W model (604) inferior to the 603. The 604 bass was too muddy and bloaty. Perhaps they were too big for the room, amplifier not sufficient, or perhaps if he used a bit of bass management/ high pass on the largest speakers to tame the low bass.

I have bought a couple of speakers blind, there isn't much choice in av stores around here, so Kef Reference Model 200 was bought blind. I liked that so bought the matching Kef Model 2.2 Reference stereo speakers blind. Both of those were about half the price of new. When I heard Celestion A5R going I tried them as L/R just to see what the treble is like- I liked what I heard. So kept a look out of Celestion A series. Bought Celestion A1 blind for about 6 x less than new price! Then kept eye out for Celestion A3 and paid around 4.5 x less than new price.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Yes if you've heard a speaker from that range you can buy a speaker from that range, although it's still risky - when I demoed a couple of the larger B&W speakers I preferred the smaller one. I found the biggest B&W model (604) inferior to the 603. The 604 bass was too muddy and bloaty. Perhaps they were too big for the room, amplifier not sufficient, or perhaps if he used a bit of bass management/ high pass on the largest speakers to tame the low bass.

I have bought a couple of speakers blind, there isn't much choice in av stores around here, so Kef Reference Model 200 was bought blind. I liked that so bought the matching Kef Model 2.2 Reference stereo speakers blind. Both of those were about half the price of new. When I heard Celestion A5R going I tried them as L/R just to see what the treble is like- I liked what I heard. So kept a look out of Celestion A series. Bought Celestion A1 blind for about 6 x less than new price! Then kept eye out for Celestion A3 and paid around 4.5 x less than new price.
Sure. Perhaps I should have said there's a "slightly" better chance of liking them. As I indicated in my previous post the 683 S2s have much more controlled bass than the S1s. I found the S1s had "bloaty" bass but only if they didn't have a lot of space around them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you think these will pair with Peachtree 125SE? I am considering Rotel RA1570 paired with a set of bookshelves. Preferably from bestbuy magnolia under $3K to $3500?

Also, what are your thoughts on getting these used from EBay?

Thanks
Murat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts