AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local hi-fi store and saw me a pair of b&w 686 for $450

they sounded amazing....for what i would be listening to them with it would be sweet.

but my only issue is they are running a cary balanced cdp and a krell amp.

so im wondering if ima get them home and just want to return them with all the missing power and insane spending limit missing from the sources

any help?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was willing to put 1k into a WHOLE system but idk if i am ready to throw a grand into speakers yet, seeing as they will be going into a little second bedroom of a 2br apt. I was planning on making my own listening room with the new apt and i still have to buy a tv (CL OF COURSE).

just trying to pull something decent together and be happy with it!

· Registered
140 Posts
Honestly, the CDP and amp shouldn't have made that big of a difference if any difference at all. That is unless you were listening at near reference levels, in which case the amp may have been adding to the experience.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean they will sound good in your home. Room acoustics play a huge role in overall SQ(They make up about 50% of the SQ, Speakers are the other 50%).

To answer the question though, I feel like there are better deals to be had at that price point to be honest. B&W starts getting good in the higher end.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well see thats what a forums all about!

getting the answers and the guidance i was looking for!

my int amp sounds better then anything ive ever owned...and it makes crappy speakers sound HORRIBLE! but for some odd reason my jbls sound great on there. the horn tweeter is a little bright sometimes and can be a little annoying on not so perfect recordings! but when things are all clear they amaze me.....for the 85 bucks used i paid!

all i want is something that will do a sonic difference that wont be a waste of money!

and something that can stand up to the bass response of my 8" woofers on the hls-810's

i honestly thought my jbls sounded better then the whole set of paradigms I had!

so this is making things really hard when coming to replace them....and my whole system!

· Registered
38 Posts
Just keep in mind Preston that you liked the B&W's in the store, then heard someone else's opinion on them - (not that I don't appreciate their opinion - but his and mine are just opinions.) Don't be swayed so easily.

I demo'd the 686's and almost bought them before buying the 685's. The only way to know if you align with the B&W 6xx is to try them out. I've owned mine for 6 months now and haven't regretted it at all. I'm powering the 685's with 50wpc. It's more than adequate for my room.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, ima ask this place if i can demo them and see how they work. I loved the way they sounded and the looked, but they wernt as sensitive as I figured they would be

is how sensitive they are going to matter in my tiny room? on 50x2

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Hmmm. Been a long time since I heard b&W's in a store. They used to be pretty laid back. Only seemed bright compared to "American" speakers with pronounced mid-range. Never knew them to be fatiguing, as that is usually caused by odd order distortion. Kind of agree with Vector. If you are young and still have exceptional HF hearing, you could just back off the treble tone control a tad. That is what it is there for.

50W is a LOT of power. Unless you are trying to reproduce a Who concert, I would not worry.

· Registered
38 Posts
I have my 685's in a small-ish room with an NAD integrated stereo amp and unless you're going deaf, 50 honest-to-goodness watts per channel is more than enough power to power those 686's.

When you demo'd them did you demo them with a subwoofer or without? I demo'd the 86's and made sure to tell them to turn everything but those speakers off. I would think any dealer worth their mettle should be offering you the chance to ensure the speakers work as well with your equipment at home at little/no risk.

· Registered
38 Posts
also wanted to mention, I stumbled across your other thread and it's a pretty widely accepted "thing" that B&W speakers + hardcore/"very heavy metal" music aren't exactly a match made in heaven. That's not to say that I think that type of music will sound like crap on B&W's, but I've heard that Paradigms *might* do better or even Definitive Technology (which I've heard do great with action movies, vid games, and metal music) - just food for thought. My music tastes have changes a lot of the past few years so the "hardest" thing I listen to anymore on a regular basis is something in line with a Mars Volta album, which is quite busy, but not grinding like some of the metal I used to listen to, like say "Chopped in Half" by Obituary...
...come to think of it, I wonder what that would sound like in here...hmmm

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks alot everyone.

I have heard quite a bit of the past and present paradigm line up they are just to warm for my music. Alot of what I listen to has very busy drum lines and they seem to wash out the symbols. Now when I had them in my set up I found them very relaxing with rock and fantastic for rap. But metal/hardcore/death metal Just seemed to laid back. I still had my jbls at the time so I figured id do a quick side by side and thats what showed me what I was missing.

I do in fact need a speaker that is forgiving. Alot of the bands I listen to Dont get checks to record fancy cds so the quality isnt always a god send. And my jbls will show a bad record like Its its job.

Today my Aux and tape mon. lights went out in my pioneer so i think ima start looking for something new.

Its going to really suck when It goes, nothing ive ever owned has made me happier, even with the crackle when using volume lever! AND ITS OLDER THEN ME!

maybe put together to pre/amp from adcom or rotel from an older line for no more then 300

I just cant do those cheap bestbuy/radio shack 2 channel stereo receivers! make everything sound so bright IMO!

and I really want to hear some def techs. Havent gotten around to that yet!

so were looking for something thats forgiving with crappy recordings and Is okay with mp3 playback!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSIinPA /forum/post/16899271

When you demo'd them did you demo them with a subwoofer or without?

It was just off a cary/krell combo with the whole 6 lineup in one room. he would just move the bananas from speaker to speaker. It was a dedicated 2 channel room which was nice, seeing as i HATE home theater

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.