AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new HT. Mostly for DVD's but some music, too.

Large basement room (25'x25') but only 1/3 - 1/2 is for HT.

We have very limited access to comparison shopping in our town;

really only one store has speakers side-by-side.

What I have hear so far:

B&W 703 driven by a high-end Rotel AMP

Thiel (? model) on Denon 3803

Kplisch RF-7 on Denon 3803

Definitive, Klipsch RF-35 on Denon (lower than 3803 - forgot)

My main referrence music is the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

B&W were *very* nice but nothing directly to compare to.

Kplisch RF-7 sounded clean and bright, too

I wasn't that impressed with the Thiel side-by-side with the Klipsch

Definitives sounded muddy.

My question:

1) Is a Denon 3805 or 4802R a good match for the B&W or Klipsch?

I don't know how I will be able to demo the B&W on a Denon.

2) Am I crazy thinking the RF-7 was close to the B&W 703's?

(I couldn't do a side-by-side)

3) Are the B&W 703's a reasonable buy or should I just wait and

try to save up for the 803?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would try to hear the B&W CDM 9NT, too (some people prefer them to the 70x).

And I advise you to listen to more different music, e.g. orchestral, voice, piano, hard rock (and of course always a piece of music you like and think you know very well).

Jurgen

·
Registered
752 Posts
Denon matches very well with the Klipsch,. However, tube amps are quite regarded with Klipsch. The Klipsch are also more efficient then the B&W's so you won't have to drive them with as much power, especially in a HT system. The B&W's are more of a laid back speaker and very different from the Klipsch.They will also require a bit more power to produce higher db's.

You call the sound Bright for the Klipsch. Most people are not use to the sound of horns. I personally like horns. They are very detailed in there deliverance. This also aides in there efficiency. Now granted I am a bit bias since I am a Klipsch guy.

The one thing you need to keep in mind is what your ears like not the opinion of myself, anyone else, or a magazine. Take your best sounding disc in with you and listen to both. If you happen to be able to hear them at the same place make sure they are set up in the same room and that you can be A-B them. If they are in different rooms ask them to be placed in the same room. If you don't have a dealer with both find out about there return policy or if they have a trial period. Remember you are the customer and shelling out the bucks Don't listen to the salesmen opinion only your own. spend quality time with both and don't let them push you along. You are dropping big bucks for either.

Good luck!

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
I concur with Jurgen. From my perspective, I don't see the RF-7s in the same league sonically or quality wise with either the CDM stuff or 700 line.

So to answer your questions:

1) I honestly don't know.

2) Yes, you are crazy :)

3) Listen to both the 703s and 803s and see if the monetary difference is worth it to you sonically. That's a decision only your ears and wallet can make.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
drjrt, I'm in a pretty good position to give you an opinion on the differences on B&W 703 vs Klipsch RF-7, worlds apart? First I have and still own 4 Klipsch KLF-30's and a KLF-C7 (immediate predecessors to the RF line) for over 5 years. Also have a Denon 5600 receiver. I'm in the process of upgrading to 4 B&W 804's and a HTM1 (already have). I had the 703's on order but they will not be available in cherry for a few weeks (see my thread " A few B&W 700 series ?s " for more info).

1. Yes

2. Yes, The overall sound and build quality of the B&W's are far superior to the Klipsch's. The only SQ advantage that the Klipsch have is the horn loaded drivers have a room filling attention grabbing presence. Over time this is more fatiguing than the B&W's sound.

3. Yes, The 703's use the same Fixed Suspension Transducer as the HTM1, 804's, and up. I see little or no advantage (except bass) to the 803's over the 703's. For the extra money you can buy a better sub to cover the base deference.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree on the build quality being better on B&W's than the RF7's, but I do not agree in that they are not in the same league.

Both are very detailed speakers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is great feedback and I really appreciate it.

Although my own experience with these issuses

needs to direct my decision, the inability to compare

side by side makes it hard. Everyones input helps

"fill the gaps"!

I'm going to load up on a few more CD's and go back to

the stores!

I have an old M&K 12" subwoofer and bookshelf speakers.

I may blow my budget on the B&W for L/R/Center and

use my M&K for the sides/Subwoofer for now.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I personally prefer the Klipsch.

Do not think you are "crazy" because you like them too. That's giving too much weight to other people's opinions (both pro and con). You're the only one that is going to pay for them and live with them. If you like the sound, go for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.