AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a new to me (dealer demo) set of B&W 704's. For some reason one speaker has the binding posts set up in a way that i'd consider wrong (see pic's).

Can anyone give me any insight to this? I'm mostly concearned because they use some sort of external jumper to connect the HF to the LF drivers. This obvcourse means that one of the jumpers is sending the HF + to the LF -.

If it were the same on both I wouldn't be concearned.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcramseysoral /forum/post/18130951

I am the proud owner of a new to me (dealer demo) set of B&W 704's. For some reason one speaker has the binding posts set up in a way that i'd consider wrong (see pic's).

Can anyone give me any insight to this? I'm mostly concearned because they use some sort of external jumper to connect the HF to the LF drivers. This obvcourse means that one of the jumpers is sending the HF + to the LF -.

If it were the same on both I wouldn't be concearned.

The jumpers look fine to me. It's the binding posts that I would question. In the first picture the positive is on the top left and on the lower right. In the second picture the positive is on the top right and bottom. Sometimes the correct polarity is stamped into the black plastic on the plate. Someone could of just unscrewed the top of the post and put it on the wrong side. You should be able to unscrew it and put it on the proper side. I can't tell by the picture to see if the plates are actually stamped or not.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Secret Squirrel, where do you see anything in those pics that tell you the binding posts are different from one to the other? The only thing I can see for sure is that the lower right has a red spot on the post - in both pics - just like my 602's.

John, other than what is shown is the pics, what leads you to believe something is crossed?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEarz /forum/post/18133329

Secret Squirrel, where do you see anything in those pics that tell you the binding posts are different from one to the other? The only thing I can see for sure is that the lower right has a red spot on the post - in both pics - just like my 602's.

John, other than what is shown is the pics, what leads you to believe something is crossed?

In the first picture there is a red disk on the top left post and a red dot on the lower left post. This leads me to believe that something has been switched from post to post. If these where untouched red would only be on one side in both pictures. No matter red dots or washers. I think something has been switched here. It should be a simple fix as long as the OP can tell which is truly the correct Positive side.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/18133407

In the first picture there is a red disk on the top left post and a red dot on the lower left post. This leads me to believe that something has been switched from post to post. If these where untouched red would only be on one side in both pictures. No matter red dots or washers. I think something has been switched here. It should be a simple fix as long as the OP can tell which is truly the correct Positive side.

No - the red "dots" are a plastic plug that was never removed from that particular binding post: all four would have had one when the speakers were new.

They are common in European speakers because the binding posts are approximately the right size and type to fit a European electric plug, and their inclusion is a safety feature of some sort (may be mandated by the EU?)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgriel /forum/post/18133619

No - the red "dots" are a plastic plug that was never removed from that particular binding post: all four would have had one when the speakers were new.

They are common in European speakers because the binding posts are approximately the right size and type to fit a European electric plug, and their inclusion is a safety feature of some sort (may be mandated by the EU?)

So what do you see wrong about the pictures? Anything?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the first picture show's the red binding posts Red top left and Red bottom right. The plates are stamped and I’ve set it up accordingly. Also the auto calibration on my receiver show's that the polarity is correct.

I'm just not hearing the bass response that I’d expect from a tower speaker. Also the top end is extremely open (almost dare I say hyped).

I knew when I purchased these they would benefit greatly from an external amp. But now were taking about a external amp as well as a powered sub.

I just don't want to put out another dime until I know they are performing as they should. If anyone has some other thoughts on testing the drivers that would be helpful.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What are you using to power the 704's? If you don't have a sub, be sure your receiver has the 704's set to "large". How do you have them set-up; pushed up against the wall, tucked into an entertainment center, pushed up against the side walls, in a corner, etc. How far apart are they? What is the rest of your room like; floor type, bare walls, lots of windows/no windows, etc. What is the size of your space? Is enclosed or part of an open floor plan with high ceilings? All of these can have an effect on the sound you're hearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What are you using to power the 704's?
A Yamaha HTR 5990 putting out 120/[email protected]

If you don't have a sub, be sure your receiver has the 704's set to "large".
The auto calibration "checks speaker size" but I'm not sure how accurate that is so I'll be sure to see if I can manually do this

How do you have them set-up; pushed up against the wall, tucked into an entertainment center, pushed up against the side walls, in a corner, etc.
The user manual say's 20" from the closest wall and I'm probably 16"

How far apart are they?
They are set up flanking each side of my fireplace and probably 5.1/2-6' apart

What is the rest of your room like; floor type, bare walls, lots of windows/no windows, etc.
One side of the room is a large open walkway and the other has a large window covered by some light drapes. There are hardwood floors and the towers are somewhat surrounded by an L shaped couch. I know this is going to absorb some of the bass but I had JBL's in the same spot previously and never had any issues with bass absorption. The overall dimensions are roughly 20x12x8.5'

I've also tried several modes on my AVR. Even with 3db of bass boost I'm still not even getting the "punch" I'd expect. Truthfully they seem to be decent below 90hz. My hope is that if I were to dedicate that part of the spectrum to a sub then they would be better able to handle the stuff between say 90-300hz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.