AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has either listened to or compared both of these speakers?

They are similar in size and driver complement, although the Focal's are more expensive. I am interested in any feedback as I have listened to both, but not in a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
803d may dip to 3ohm while 1037be not that low meaning the former is more amp critical

all depends you like diamond and kevlar or otherwise

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I am a B&W dealer, but having heard the Focal 1037be's, I found them to be one of the few Focals I really liked, but have not heard them directly compared to the 803d's, I'm afraid that I can't be of much help. While I really love the 803D's , I would also encourage you , in this price range to look at the Pioneer S-1EX speakers as I, and others I was with, did hear them directly compared to the Focals at another dealer, and they were almost unanimously prefered. Hope that helps somewhat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Schadenfreude

What was your impression of the bass quality and quantity on the Focals? I know that often the Focal product can sound lean and the B&W's are not usually associated with this characteristic.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 /forum/post/0

I am curious if anyone has either listened to or compared both of these speakers?

They are similar in size and driver complement, although the Focal's are more expensive. I am interested in any feedback as I have listened to both, but not in a side by side comparison.

The more "fair" comparison would be between the Focal 1037Be and 802D as far as price/class.

The 1037 strangely is a far better speaker than the 1027. Its not simply bigger woofers. The midrange seems much more open, and the highs more refined. Obviously this was designed as a full-range speaker as it will play down to 25 hz in many rooms. Focal woofers need ALOT of break in time. They are very tight from the factory and need a good 200-300 hours before they will loosen up blend with the rest of the speaker.

The 802Ds will definately have more bass, but the Focals will be a tighter bass. This will be a preference thing mostly. The Focal tweeter tends to be sweet sounding, which obviously is going to be different than the 802Ds diamond tweeter. You need to listen to both brands. Spending that kind of money, it would be ridiculous to not hear them first.

If you want to compare the 803D, compare it with the 1027Be.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude /forum/post/0

.....I would also encourage you , in this price range to look at the Pioneer S-1EX speakers.....

Schadefreude, is your shop carrying these now? Are they getting much notice? Other than an actual Pioneer store, I don't know of anyone in the LA area that is carrying the line.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
If you want to compare the 803D, compare it with the 1027Be.

This I've heard, and then the B&W gets the nod, again, among several people.

Quote:
The more "fair" comparison would be between the Focal 1037Be and 802D as far as price/class.

While I've not heard them side by side, I am familiar enough with both of them to suspect that the 802D is the better unit, but then again it may be a matter of personal taste.

Quote:
Schadefreude, is your shop carrying these now? Are they getting much notice? Other than an actual Pioneer store, I don't know of anyone in the LA area that is carrying the line.

Alas, there are only 6 dealers across the nation displaying them, but I have a good relationship with one of them.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:

Alas, there are only 6 dealers across the nation displaying them, but I have a good relationship with one of them.

Thanks Schadenfreude,

Just six? How are they going to get any exposure/sales? If it is just six for the Pioneer Sx-EX models, how does one even get ahold of thier big brothers the TAD's?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
how does one even get ahold of thier big brothers the TAD's?

If you want to buy a set, let me know.

Quote:
Just six? How are they going to get any exposure/sales?

I'm guessing they'll be more eventually, but for now they want them displayed in decent showrooms with the "right" kind of exposure, where they can be exposed to the right customers.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
I just think they are two fabulous sets of speakers and wonder how anyone is going to hear them aside from going to a show.

Find the closest of the six dealers on Pioneer's site and invest the time to make the trip.

But don't you have their store near you?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have heard both, but am not going to comment on the B&W 803 due to their terrible sounding set-up (small room w/ Krell monoblocks). I have heard other lesser expensive B&W's setup more correctly that sounded superior. I have heard the 802 model elsewhere, and I think they are something else, very musical, awesome speakers. But, imo, they look funny, just me.

Re the 1037, I am the type that tends to prefer more defined bass, even at the expense of it possibly being leaner. I think the one thing you will notice and pay attention to is the characteristics of the berrylium tweeter. In a way, I guess I might agree that it could be possibly be called sweet. It is incredibly, incredibly detailed. However, the presentation, imo, is quite forward (though not as bad as with the 900/Profiles). Also, any old recording (I listen to mostly classical) will be given a very, very unforgiving rendition possibly loaded with sibilance. It IS the cd's fault, but I still want as many of my cd's to sound good. If your collection of recordings was done more by the sq than musical performance, you may have found your match.

This is simply the opinion of a newborn audiophile/consumer. These dealers work with them everyday, so they will know better, and will have opinions on components that maximize the synergy. Still wanted to throw my two cents in.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:

Find the closest of the six dealers on Pioneer's site and invest the time to make the trip.

But don't you have their store near you?

I was more thinking about other folks.

The Pioneer showcase store is about 50 minutes from me...but I have not been there.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
I wonder if they have other brands to compare them to, somehow I doubt it.

Ask if you can bring something in ...otherwise it WILL suck....then again I'd guess Curtis has enough depth of auditioning experiance that he can make some good observations even without a standing referance.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
The JMLabs are bright and thin sounding, but very detailed, more detailed than the B&Ws. They are detailed, but the treble is pushed way ahead of the midrange. The B&Ws are more colorful and warm with a warmer "sweeter" treble. Totally different speakers except for the Euro styling/design. If I had a very well damped room, I would take the JMs. If I had a bright, lively room, the B&Ws. I wouldn't call either neutral, however.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by AudioArchitect:

Quote:

Ok. so this being the case the Dynaudio C2 would fit right in with this group. That being said what is your opinion of it compared to the other two? The C2 is a 2-way design where the Focal and the B&W are 3-way's.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 /forum/post/0

Originally posted by AudioArchitect:

Ok. so this being the case the Dynaudio C2 would fit right in with this group. That being said what is your opinion of it compared to the other two? The C2 is a 2-way design where the Focal and the B&W are 3-way's.

As far as sonic neutrality, Dynaudio will trump both Focal and B&W no questions asked! The C2 utilizes a 2-way crossover because quite simply its a simple crossover and hence less passive components to screw with the sound. Many audiophiles prefer 2-way bookshelf type speakers because they excel at imaging and timbral accuracy. The C2 also has the DDC "mirrored" driver array which eliminates about 80% of floor and ceiling reflections. The Esotar2 tweeter is possess resolution, musicality, and dynamics better than anything I have heard.

You are talking about 3 very different speaker brands, but for music no contest at all. Dynaudio.

·
Registered
73 Posts
WOW I just auditioned the S-1EX at LA Audio Video, they have Focals, B&W, Paradigm Sig 8, Sonus Faber all in the same room. This place made my head spin. I saw Wilson Audio, Dynaudio, its amazing what was there. Its near Down Town LA if you want I have the address. I was surprised that they would demo the S-1ex with a Mcintosh tube amp. Everything was great but the bass was not as controlled. JUST AS I THOUGHT MAY HAPPEN WITH A TUBE POWER AMP. It was late and they were very nice so I did not question the mating. They also have Bel Canto, so next time I will gently suggest a change of electronics. I plan to spend some time there in the near future

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.