AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

I've ordered my 804s and will be in my possesion in about 10 days. at this time I have paradigm studio 40's that is powered by the rotel rb1070 130wpc amp. question is, will the rb1070 be enough to bring the 804s to full potential?

I'm sure i'll get music out of it but will it be enough to move my soul?

I was thinking about the rb1080. Does anybody wanna buy the rb1070?

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh one additional thing.....lets say i went with the rotel rb1080 that has 200 wpc for my main L&R's and I use my denon 3808 as the main L&R pre-out to the rb1080.

how will it effect the overall sound if the denon 3808 is powering my center and surround speakers at 130 wpc max while my mains are being powered at 200 wpc? when i turn the volume on the denon up or down, will my center and surrounds sound weaker than my mains?

THANKS

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Your current amp should be fine. The difference between 200w and 130w looks huge, but in reality it is almost nothing. The 804s are 90db sensitive, which is pretty good. The extra 70w gets you a whopping 1 db of headroom (sitting 9 feet from them). The 130w will get you 105db, 200w nets 106db. Save your money.

When you use the Rotel and the 3808 you will not tell a difference between the two in 5 channel. Run Audyssey after you set it up and it will level the speakers to sound the same. Or you can buy an SPL meter and level them yourself. Audyssey does a pretty good job.

· Registered
584 Posts
I run a pair of B&W 703s with an RB1070 and it has plenty of current to drive those. I think that the 703s are at least as difficult a load as the 804s. I did compare some much more expensive amps (one from Simaudio and one from McIntosh) and found that they were better at very high volumes than the Rotel, but not better enough to make me want to spend the extra coin.

· Registered
232 Posts
Denon 4308A and RB-1080 with 703 around here. The 4308A drives center + surrounds. Works just dandy. That said, the Rotel really measures at 250w, so the normal spec's are abit underrated, but then, havent looked at the 1070more closely, so its probably a tad underspeced to.

Depending on the room, and where you split the crossover, it might draw abit more power, but you will probably be just fine. If not, you will hear it. With my former receiver, the Yamaha RX-V2600, even though it has a good preamp, the preamp gave about before the rotel.

· Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I'm gonna try it with the 1070 first and see how it sounds. I sent an email to b&w and the person who responded basically said that the 804s will be driven to its full potential with the 1080.

Dear S,

Thank you for your interest in B&W! The 804S is rated between 50-200W

into 8 ohms, as such while I do think the RB-1070 will do a very good

job driving the 804S I do not think it is the absolute best

amplification for the speaker. If you do not want to compromise on

sound quality, I would suggest driving it with a 200W amplifier such as

the RB-1080 or RB-1582.

Best Regards,

Michael Sheehan

The B&W Group

B&W / Rotel / Classe
www.bwgroup-support.com

· Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by romavictor /forum/post/16860708

as such while I do think the RB-1070 will do a very good

job driving the 804S I do not think it is the absolute best

amplification for the speaker. If you do not want to compromise on

sound quality, I would suggest driving it with a 200W amplifier such as

the RB-1080

Rotel and B&W are the same company. thats more of a sales pitch than anything. if the 1070 gave you good volume with your paradigms, you should be fine. dont buy anything without using your 1070 for a few weeks to get a good feel for the combination

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.