AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Nautilus 805's (not S or D) and they are nice for certain things (Dianna Krall), etc. but are lacking for HT. I always wished I had got the CDM 9NT's when I could. I love the FST midrange speaker and the extended low end from a tower.

I don't know much about the 683's except they are Chinese, but that in itself shouldn't be a bad thing if the components are still B&W quality?

So, would I be disappointed or would it be a step up in overall sound quality?

thx

bob

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/19578724

What don't you like about your 805 for HT?

They sound "small" even in my small living room (18x12) They don't seem to fill the room like a full range tower would.

BTW, I have a nice Pio Elite 59txi AVR, bi-amping.

bob

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/19578863

I've never tried them, but I wonder if a stereo pair of Hsu MBM-12s added to your 805s could be a good alternative to replacement:
http://hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

-Max

i have a nice sub but it doesn't make the fronts sound "bigger".

Maybe I should start a 683 opinion thread?

bob

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/19578659

I currently have Nautilus 805's (not S or D) and they are nice for certain things (Dianna Krall), etc. but are lacking for HT. I always wished I had got the CDM 9NT's when I could. I love the FST midrange speaker and the extended low end from a tower.

I don't know much about the 683's except they are Chinese, but that in itself shouldn't be a bad thing if the components are still B&W quality?

So, would I be disappointed or would it be a step up in overall sound quality?

thx

bob

I have a pair of the 683 and got a pair of the 805s and was disappointed when I compared the two. Even though they are a much less expensive speaker, there is just so much more life and depth to the 683 because of the addition of the FST midrange. The 805s just paled in comparison to my ears, so much so that I didn't even keep them.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 /forum/post/19581880

I have a pair of the 683 and got a pair of the 805s and was disappointed when I compared the two. Even though they are a much less expensive speaker, there is just so much more life and depth to the 683 because of the addition of the FST midrange. The 805s just paled in comparison to my ears, so much so that I didn't even keep them.

Awesome, That was what I was hoping to hear

What are you powering them with?

bob

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/19584317

Awesome, That was what I was hoping to hear

What are you powering them with?

bob

Right now Rotel separates, previously I was using an NAD integrated. I was happy with the NAD but just decided to go with separates and thought I detected slightly more clarity in the mids with the Rotel during an in store demo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts