AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here compared the B&W CDM-9NT and 704 speakers. I currently own the CDM-1NT speakers and would like to upgrade to a floor standing speaker. I have a Denon 3802 receiver and 2800 DVD player. I use my system mainly for listening to jazz and acoustic guitar CD's I very seldom use my system for home theater. I plan to purchase an Arcam or Quad 99 system for listening to my CD's Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I haven't compared both speakers myself. I do own the 9NT's and like them very much.

About the 704's I have read in another Forum that they sound for some to high-tone orientated compared to the 9NT's (but probably someone else will enjoy just that).

Just let me add that I own a Quad 606. The endtrap is connected to my AV-Receiver Marantz SR-14mkII (European model), for the two front speakers. Sounds very nice.

Jürgen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I have not compared the 704s to the 9NT. But I wanted to reply to your question because I went shopping for speakers, auditioned the 1NT's and 705's, and ended up buying the 704's. The 1NT and 705 both sounded nice, but were missing midrange and low-end for my tastes. When I heard the 704's, I was completely impressed and purchased them. I also enjoying listening to acoustic guitar more frequently than any other kind of music, and it's for that reason the 704 are perfect for me. I expected them to be missing some low end, and maybe a bit bright on the top, but was surprised on both counts. They sound well balanced, not too bright or harsh on top, and with more bottom-end punch than I expected. I purchased a subwoofer as part of my HT setup, but don't use it when listening to music in 2 channel on the 704's. They don't need it. So while I cannot offer you a comparison of the 9NT vs. 704, I can tell you that the 704 will be a nice upgrade from your 1NT.

Just so you know, they're running on an Onkyo 701 receiver, which has a laid-back sound. You might get a slightly different result on the Denon.

Eric

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Eric, did you listen to the 703s too? How did they compare or were they too much $$$ for the difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Phil,

I did not listen to the 703, for exactly the reason you mention. Though I'm sure the 703's sound amazing too.

When I heard the 704's, I was sold very quickly...no matter what CD I played, all different artists and genres, everything sounded exactly as I thought it should sound, and exactly like I wanted it to sound. Highs, lows, midrange...clarity, detail...they sounded perfect to my ears. I didn't see any reason to spend $3000 on something else when I was completely happy with the $2200 speakers right in front of me.

All of us, when we go shopping for speakers, hope to have "that moment". It happens when we find exactly what we're looking for, those speakers that make our ears happier than they've ever been. I had that moment with the 704s, and was comfortable ending my shopping right there.

I hope everyone else ends up enjoying their music as much as I do, because I know how hard it can be to shop....so many audio stores, so many speakers to listen to, all different listening environments. Everyone has a different opinion, and you can read a thousand reviews. It can be a little overwhelming. It's very rewarding when all the work pays off at the end.

Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Imo, the CDM9 NT is a whole lot better than the 704, and even the 703.

It just sounds more natural, less fatigueing and more tonally correct.

I'm not saying the 704 isn't good, it just requires very careful matching to a receiver / amp to get it to sound good.

If i had to choose, definitely would be going for CDM9NT's even though they're not in the B&W product line-up anymore.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
A couple people told me that the 704s were WAY better than the old line, even the Nautilus stuff. Within a few weeks after listening more, they started saying they were way too bright. Always be skeptical of your own first impressions. I haven't heard them. I'm done shopping for quite awhile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess the best advice would be to go and listen for yourself, because I have the opposite opinion. To me, the 703 had a warmer high end and a much better bass kick than the CDM 9nt. It's hard to say if your ears would hear it the same way, but B&W states that the 703 tweeter is more closely related to the signature series tweeter and they are using upgraded crossovers. I also think placing the bass drivers farther apart and a bit lower within the box makes a difference as well. If you look at the 800 series, the bass drivers are separated and lower in a very similar fashion to the 703. On the CDM 9nt, they bass drivers fit tightly flush with midrange driver. Maybe you won't hear a difference, maybe you won't like the difference.

However, I have noticed that most CDM 9nt owners are pretty vocal about how the 703 is not an improvement in much the same way that when the new B&W Nautilus replacement soon comes, many owners of the previous nautilus models will prefer theirs more. There are many people who believe the older B&W 800 Matrix series are better than the Nautilus. This happens with every speaker manufacturer. Some people hear improvement, some people don't. One gets comfortable with what he/she is used to hearing and, ultimately, the listener should make the decision as to which speaker sounds best.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I too have heard both the 703s and 9NTs. They are very, very close in my opinion. Having said that, and eliminating cosmetics, I would recommend getting the 9NTs simply because they would be much less expensive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm looking at 704's (2200 MSRP) vs 604 S3's (1400 MSRP) - to my untrained, concert-destroyed ears the difference was the following:

704's - better soundstaging/imaging, somewhat brighter

604's - better bass extension, still sounded good.

2 questions - (1) has anyone else tried to decide between these speakers and what makes the 704's worth (or not worth) the extra 600 bucks to you. AND (2) If I get the 704's I am considering adding a Hsu VTF-3/2 for HT use (would I need it with the 604's? - i guess that is a 3rd question) but that would increase the price significantly. Any thoughts on HT performance of the 704's without an additional sub?

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
GoFlashGo,

I'm trying to decide between 603S3 and LCR600 vs 704 and HTM7... I still haven't audtioned them. I keep thinking (and hoping :) ) my untrained ears won't tell the difference. I already have an ASW600. I plan to eventually match either set with a Rotel 1075 amp.

I would also like to see if anyone has tried to make a decision between the 600 and 700 series.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.