Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

Went to the local high end store today to check out the B&W 602's as a starting point for the Ascend 170's I'm considering. After being gently whisked into the "A" room just to hear the Prestige 800's and 802's (I actually preferred the 802's but the salesman said it was because of the $4000 Meridian CD player), for reference, we moved into the lower end room, listening to the 602's and 603's.

Finally got to the CDM 9NT's and was really impressed. So clear and smooth sounding, very easy to listen too. Of course, at $2600/pair they should sound good :)

Shopping for speakers and B&W's is a new experience for me, so I thought I'd see what y'all thought, especially you that have heard these next to other comparable speakers.

thx

bob

·
Registered
101 Posts
I listened quite intensive to the speakers of the 600-serie and then to the NT1, NT7 and NT 9. I went to the shop to buy one of the 600-speakers and went home with ordering the NT9's. But I must say I also enjoyed the NT1's a lot. The 600-serie was in general too 'boomy' for me, whereas the NT-serie was transparent and precise.

Jürgen

·
Registered
634 Posts
I spent many, many hours listening to the 9NT's as I had narrowed down my speaker choice to Paradigm Studio 100's and them. The 9NTs are excellent for Jazz and Classical music. Not as adept with bass-heavy music like techno, electronica, hip-hop, etc. However, couple them with a musical subwoofer and you have an excellent speaker! I really liked the smooth mid range these speakers provide, especially with the female voice. Also, music with a lot of piano (Winston, Lance, even Elton John) sounds very good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After many years of drooling over hi end ( er... hi quality ) audio gear I have finally reached a point in my career that I can afford all the cool toys I want.

In my quest to reach audio nirvana, I have listened to many makes and models of speakers. Over the past decade my taste in gear has never waivered away from the likes of B & W.

I am a big believer of ' you get what you pay for ' and the ' law of diminishing returns '.

B & W excels at these two premises.

You have two very broad spectrums. At one end you have the B & W NT series which are regarded as some of the most revealing speakers available today. At the other end you have the 600 series designed to kick ass in terms of output with less of an emphasis on quality.

( I will not incl the 300 series, as these are very very entry level speakers - nonetheless still good for the $$$ )

-------------

Once I decided to take the plunge and buy some gear, I began looking at the top tier .... the NT series.... was superb.

But, as hungry as I was for the best, I knew that the 800, 801, and 802 s were just too friggin big for my room, and would be over kill, and would sound like sh** in the room I had available for my HT. So, I auditioned the 803s and 804s and again was very impressed.

It was then I was introduced to the CDM NT series. I did an A/B/C comparison between the 803, 804, and the CDM 9NT speakers. I was astonished at the similarities between the three. The 803s were slightly more full bodied on the bottom end, but practically identical in the midrange and top end when comparing the 803s to the 804s and 9NTs.

I then decided that the 803s were NOT twice as good as the CDM 9NTs - so I decided against the 803s. Next was deciding between the 9Nts or the 804s. Again, I did an extensive A/B comparison.... my conclusion was that the 804s were NOT that much different in soundstage, openess, clarity, or definition.... I couldn't hear a $1000 difference -- and if you look at the specs on paper.... these speakers are almost identical in specs. So what you are getting for a $1000 more is a ' cooler ' looking cabinet, and two kevlar bass drivers.

Needless to say, I ended up getting the CDM 9NTs with the matching center channel. And I am more than satisfied with them.

The 7NTs were more like the 604s than the 9NTs... there was a night and day difference between the 7NTs and the 9NTs. The FST midrange driver in the NT line and the 9NTs is second to none.

I can honestly say that the CDM 9NTs are today's best buy in the B & W line up. In order to hear a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY you must jump up to the 802s or above... and to make the 802s sing you have to have a decent sized room to make it worth the price you pay to get them.

At the $2500 price point NOTHING CAN EVEN come close to the quality in craftmanship or sound....

Am I biased, .... maybe, but with all that I have seen and heard over the years, B & W still remains at the top of my short list.

These speakers are NOT bright, just accurate, and if your gear is not matched properly with these speakers - you may be disappointed.

But ...... match the gear with the 9NTs and you will be a happy camper.

·
Registered
387 Posts
After much listening I wound up with 9NT's. I have loved every minute of them. I plan to get a second pair for rears near the end of the year. I agree their value in the B&W line up is excellent. The LF response is great compared to hte 800 series until you get to crazy price :) I think.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It's great to hear some super reviews of the 9NTs - as I am currently auditioning them for my system. With the addition of the CNT and 1NT surrounds I would have about $4K invested. For half that price I could get the Rockets that everyone on this forum raves about - (I have not listened to them). Have any of you B&W owners listened to the Rockerts? Also what sub are you using?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
It's great to hear some super reviews of the 9NTs - as I am currently auditioning them for my system. With the addition of the CNT and 1NT surrounds I would have about $4K invested. For half that price I could get the Rockets that everyone on this forum raves about - (I have not listened to them). Have any of you B&W owners listened to the Rockerts? Also what sub are you using?
Ah, and there it is. I wondered when someone would bring up the Rockets.

I have always been a HUGE B&W fan. I love the look and sound of their speakers. In fact I was considering purchasing the 9NT's for my next system. I have yet to purchase anything, and probably wont do so for a year or so, but the 9NT's were at the top of my list.

But then I heard about the Rockets. Many have commented on their sound and looks. Lots of good reviews. And MOST importantly (at least for me) is their price. People are saying they are as good if not better than equipment twice the price. This would put the 9NT's in the range of competition for the Rockets.

I haven't heard the Rockets, but I have to admit if they sounded as good as the 9NT's the decision would be made. I would save my money and go with the Rockets. But maybe the 9NT's would sound better.

I would love to do this comparison.

·
Registered
643 Posts
where in IL are you? There might be somebody in your area that has them and will let you listen.

I agree B&W is a great company but I think you pay a premium for them and that many people fall in love with the looks of them before they even hear them. That's what I did. I almost purchased the 805's just because they looked so good! Oh man I'm glad I didn't do that because I found that there are speakers out there that might not have the design and super cool factor but sound better.

Look at wharfdale. They are pretty much just copying the B&W nautilus line's looks but sound to me is WAY OFF but people buy them because of the look.

I think that many of us are guilty of buying something just because it looks cool. I'm trying to find a turn table that the WAF will pass looks wise but also sounds good. Those darn wives can make it tough sometimes. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
A strange way this thread goes. There are a few people who tell that their after more less extensive listening choose for the NT9's, than someone starts talking about other speakers (Rockets) in a informative way and now someone else suggests that many people buy their B&W's because of the looks of them, and by that in a way disqualifying people who bought B&W's because of their sound.

Their is only one thing important: listen quite extensively by yourself to different speakers in different combinations and after having made a first choice try to get the speakers for a test in your home. In my opinion the environment is very important for the sound quality.

Jürgen

·
Registered
459 Posts
my opinion after lisening a few songs with bw 9nts: unimpressed and over priced. sound: ok if priced about 1K. built quality: below average for the price. for the money, u can get much built quality speakers, i.e. boston acoustics vrm90...if these have a bw name tag on them, they probably hasve5K price tag for a pair. my .02.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I didn't mean that all people aren't enjoying their speakers and that they only bought them because they looked good. I do believe that many people take the B&W into mind because they do look cool. I MYSELF don't think you get what you payed for with B&W. I think at sometimes they are furniture first and then speakers 2nd. That is just what my ears and eyes tell me and that doesn't apply to everybody. Their are B&W speakers that sound just awesome but their are other products out there that sound just as good for much less.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
This thread (like so many do) has taken an interesting turn. IMO it is very difficult if not impossible (be honest with yourself) to completely take looks out of the equation when choosing speakers (or televisions, cars, girlfriends, almost anything really).

A personal preference for standmount monitors or towers, type of wood, finish of the cabinet, rounding of the corners, comments from salesreps, friends, forums, advertising, WAF, etc. - all influence our decisions. Nobody can completely make decisions based on sound alone.

Again - be honest with yourself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am being honest... none of what you listed apply... The only factor that I am concerned about besides sound quality is having dealer support in case something goes wrong (which it inevitably does) but the dealer doesn't effect my decision on whether I like a speaker or not.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was just wondering if you folks getting the 9NT's are also purchasing the HTM1 center to get the FST driver that matches the 9NT's?? I looked into this sstem as well, but for the extra few hundred bucks I'd get the 804's. Overall I really couldn't justify the $8K at 25 years old and the Rockets sound pretty darn close so I went that route instead. What fun would that be, not having anything to upgrade to...

SC

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
$8K?

I've got a quote for a pair of 9NT's, a pair of 1NT's and the CNT (Center) for half that out the door.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I LOVE my CDM 9NT's! I auditioned them against the Studio 100's, Rocket 750's, KEF's, & Viennas. As soon as I heard them, it was OVER! I also have the CNT, with some LM1's for the rear (for now). I am so happy, & will be for a long time. I went with a Rotel 1066/1075 combo, and they are so silky smooth. I used to have a Yamaha RX-V1, and they were pretty bright with the Yammy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If I could have got that for the price you were quoted I'd have gotten them. Again I would be using the HTM1 or 2 for the center to match the FST driver. I wasn't a big fan of the CNT either. It seemed rather boxy.

SC

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.