AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

B&W CM5 alternative - even more detail wanted

1758 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bear123

Hi all.


I'd like to hear if anyone here knows of a speaker in the pricerange of the CM5 that have more detail in the treble, perhaps a bit more treble too.

I will be using it for HT and would use the CMC as center, and don't yet know what surrounds to use.

 

But for now: a speaker with more details/more treble than the CM5.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Nothing anywhere near the price range. I've listened to more speakers than I can count. The only better monitor I've found was Dynaudio C1 Platinum. And that's $8k plus.
If you were to start over with your HT it would be necessary to replace your center as well. There actually are other options in this price range. Do you have the option to visit some audio shops to audition? What exactly are you not happy with regarding the CM5s? They do have a smooth top end. Perhaps that's why you mention wanting more treble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio  /t/1517592/b-w-cm5-alternative-even-more-detail-wanted#post_24351545


Nothing anywhere near the price range. I've listened to more speakers than I can count. The only better monitor I've found was Dynaudio C1 Platinum. And that's $8k plus.
Nagys, 

 

Have you had a chance to listen to the ATC passives SCM 11s , or SCM 19 before getting the CM5, and if so, what were your impressions of the comparison between them? 

 

Thanks so much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot B  /t/1517592/b-w-cm5-alternative-even-more-detail-wanted#post_24360440


Nagys, 


Have you had a chance to listen to the ATC passives SCM 11s , or SCM 19 before getting the CM5, and if so, what were your impressions of the comparison between them? 


Thanks so much....

Unfortunately I have not because there's no displaying dealers in Chicago, but they're definitely on my list. If I had to guess on what they sound like, it would probably be bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio  /t/1517592/b-w-cm5-alternative-even-more-detail-wanted#post_24361014



Unfortunately I have not because there's no displaying dealers in Chicago, but they're definitely on my list. If I had to guess on what they sound like, it would probably be bright.
I believe you also have listened to B&W 805D.... To what extent the 805D are "superior" to the CM5s in your opinion if at all , as the price difference would suggest? Some have said that 805D s treble is too harsh and unkind to anything but the ideal recordings, so much greater care to be used with a corresponding components, incurring greater expenses in the long run.... Do they use same 6.5 kevlar woofer, and do you know which caps 805 use, Mundorf higher grade , or? 

 

As usual your insights are greatly appreciated!

 

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot B  /t/1517592/b-w-cm5-alternative-even-more-detail-wanted#post_24371256


I believe you also have listened to B&W 805D.... To what extent the 805D are "superior" to the CM5s in your opinion if at all , as the price difference would suggest? Some have said that 805D s treble is too harsh and unkind to anything but the ideal recordings, so much greater care to be used with a corresponding components, incurring greater expenses in the long run.... Do they use same 6.5 kevlar woofer, and do you know which caps 805 use, Mundorf higher grade , or? 


As usual your insights are greatly appreciated!


Thanks

Count me as a fan of the 805 Diamonds. They use a different woofer. The capacitors are the same Mundorf Supreme (one of my favorites). The diamond tweeter is exceptional and much more detailed than the CM tweeter. There's no comparison. It is the complete opposite of harsh. Crisp and liquidy. One problem that I have with the 805 Diamonds is the overall tonal response. It is a bit thin sounding. I like how the CM5s are balanced better. I also have the same problem with 804 Diamonds and 803 Diamonds. So either a better balance, or a higher resolution sound. It's a tough choice. Now once we get to 802 Diamonds and 800s it is just simply phenomenal sound. 800 Diamonds just may be my all time favorite speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio  /t/1517592/b-w-cm5-alternative-even-more-detail-wanted#post_24371290


...Crisp and liquidy...

That's quite a juicy combo...


Just like teenage acne... without the blackheads...
In that price range the Sierra-2 would be worth a gander. Its ribbon tweeter should provide that nice detailed top end you are after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio  /t/1517592/b-w-cm5-alternative-even-more-detail-wanted#post_24351545


Nothing anywhere near the price range. I've listened to more speakers than I can count. The only better monitor I've found was Dynaudio C1 Platinum. And that's $8k plus.
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I disliked the CM5s. Very "flat" sounding.


My favorite bookshelf speaker near that range would be the Monitor Audio GX50. If you want detailed treble - say no more. The midrange is exceptionally neutral and clear, with only a hint of warmth.

Why not just EQ a bit?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top