AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New system, B&W CM8, CM1, CMC with SVS PB10-NSD for sub.

I did some Audyssey calibration yesterday via Onkyo TX-NR708 and it came out with these crossover frequencies:

Front/Center/Surround: 40Hz

Sub: 120Hz

I read that Audyssey will usually set the freq lower than where it should be, but 40Hz seems to be too far from home, the CMs are spec'ed starting at 69Hz (+/- 3db). Is it possible that my room configuration enables these speakers to reach lower? Or should I just set it back to the standard 80Hz?

Also, there is a lot of overlap setting the sub at 120Hz, some people recommend setting this sub at 100Hz, is this correct?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkusumo /forum/post/19641372

Hi everyone,

New system, B&W CM8, CM1, CMC with SVS PB10-NSD for sub.

I did some Audyssey calibration yesterday via Onkyo TX-NR708 and it came out with these crossover frequencies:

Front/Center/Surround: 40Hz

Sub: 120Hz

I read that Audyssey will usually set the freq lower than where it should be, but 40Hz seems to be too far from home, the CMs are spec'ed starting at 69Hz (+/- 3db). Is it possible that my room configuration enables these speakers to reach lower? Or should I just set it back to the standard 80Hz?

Also, there is a lot of overlap setting the sub at 120Hz, some people recommend setting this sub at 100Hz, is this correct?

Thanks!!!

I have this sub. I have the LFE crossover setting set at 100hz. As for the crossover setting on your speakers, Audessy is reporting that your speakers are capable of outputting audible frequencies at 40hz. Clearly Audessy has made a mistake (as it did on my setup too). It's just not possible that your speakers are reaching 40hz if they are rated at 69hz. I would set the crossover to 70hz. Alternatively, you could set the crossover to 80hz for all of your speakers which many recommend.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Make sure when you are doing the test that you don't have an air conditioner, fan or other noises from outside your home effecting the test. It very likely detected sounds that weren't coming from the speakers. At least, that's the only reasoning I can come up with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No AC, however, there is a refrigerator nearby (less than 3 ft away), that might have caused it. I am thinking of setting it at 70Hz, and maybe set the sub at 90Hz? Ideally, I want to audition the difference, but anyone knows how (ie: what kind of music has a lot of freq at this range?)?

fxspec06, on a different note, have you had any issue with your PB10-NSD auto on/off? Mine won't turn on at all, so I just force it On all the time. Does it have anything to do with the level of volume I am playing it at? I tried increasing it with no luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkusumo /forum/post/19641770

No AC, however, there is a refrigerator nearby (less than 3 ft away), that might have caused it. I am thinking of setting it at 70Hz, and maybe set the sub at 90Hz? Ideally, I want to audition the difference, but anyone knows how (ie: what kind of music has a lot of freq at this range?)?

fxspec06, on a different note, have you had any issue with your PB10-NSD auto on/off? Mine won't turn on at all, so I just force it On all the time. Does it have anything to do with the level of volume I am playing it at? I tried increasing it with no luck.

I have the switch on all the time. When I first got it I had it on auto, I found it wasn't turning on unless the volume was at a certain level. The bass signal from the pre-out has to be at a certain spot for the sub to detect it. I was slowly realizing that half the time I was listening the sub wasn't even on, so I flipped the switch. I think I read somewhere that forcing it on doesn't use much power though, so no worries on your electrical bill.

I also saw a chart somewhere that showed the frequency of the sub, it can make it all the way up to 100hz where it starts to roll off. You should be fine setting it to 90 or 100.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Audyssey measured some frequencies well below your speakers spec which is indeed possible due to your room interaction. With my own CM1, there was significant output at 50Hz, which is why Audyssey thought my speakers were "Large". I ran some test tones with my radio shack sound meter and my little speakers were putting out a lot sound even below 50Hz which probably due to room gain and bass modes which cause a big bump in bass well below my speaker's spec.

I would just reset it to at least 60Hz for your speakers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'll try 60Hz and test em tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts