AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought some CM9s as my mains to go with my CMC2 center. I am in a medium sized room and have some CM1s as my rears.

I have been thinking of going to a 7.1 setup. I can get some CM8s for an amazing deal.

Would you recommend that I get some to go as surrounds and put my CM1s as rears?

I can get the CM8s for the price of CM5s.

I listen to 2 channel audio as well as movies. There have been times where I thought I might get more from a 7.1 system. I like that the CM8s use the FST midrange as well so think it would sound pretty cool.

I know there is quite a debate between the benefits of going to 7.1 or not.

Any advice and/or guidance is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
To help others out: What is your whole system: speakers, subwoofer(s), room layout receiver.

When you say "get more out of 7.1" did you feel your 5.1 was lacking? and how so?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My system consists of a Yamaha RXA2000. The speakers mentioned above and 2 sealed subs.

Rectangular room of 16 feet by 14 feet.

5.1 is good but I think I could get more out of 7.1?

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
So, I would definitely ask this question in the BW thread for more answers. You've got ample bass and good power with an a2000, and those were two of my concerns. I think CM series need a good amount of power, from my limited experience.

I think you would enjoy the CM8s in a 7.1 setup. You've even got the option to go FH or Surround Rear with CM1s being easy to move around.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I've had towers as surrounds before, it's overkill. I'd go with the CM1 or even better, the CM5.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks very much for the responses.

Definitely a lot of speakers now. I agree that it may be too overkill. Does sure sound nice though.

Is this really silly for my size of room? I will be going to a larger room eventually... but too much?

Thanks again very much!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are the CM1s blocked by the rear of the chair? I would adjust that.

Move the one CM8 tower away from chair a bit. The one on right side.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the CM1s are definitely firing into the back of the chairs. Both CM8s have to be that close to the chairs unfortunately.

Hmm...

Thanks again

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well the CM1s will need a lift as they aren't really doing much at all. There's always FH or FW for the CM1s!

The CM8s are fine, haha slight overkill now that I see pictures.

Reactions: PannTher
1 - 9 of 9 Posts