AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a 5.1 B&W CM9 setup with Towers in the front / bookshelf's in the rear.

Do I need a dedicated amp? I have been using my RX-Z7 Yamaha receiver which supplies 140 watts per channel, but I wanted to know if I would see a big increase in quality with an Amp. Thanks!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium  /t/1522420/b-w-cm9s-do-i-need-an-amp-or-am-i-ok-with-rx-z7-140-watts-per-channel#post_24478592

Hey All,

I have a 5.1 B&W CM9 setup with Towers in the front / bookshelf's in the rear.

Do I need a dedicated amp? I have been using my RX-Z7 which supplies 140 watts per channel, but I wanted to know if I would see a big increase in quality with an Amp. Thanks!

What sort of SPLs do you drive those CM9s to? Have you invested in a SPL meter to measure that?

How far do you sit from the speakers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an SPL meter. I used the included mic and auto calibration and just made some adjustments to make things "sound better".

I sit probably 9 feet or so from the speakers +-2

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium  /t/1522420/b-w-cm9s-do-i-need-an-amp-or-am-i-ok-with-rx-z7-140-watts-per-channel#post_24478658

I don't have an SPL meter. I used the included mic and auto calibration and just made some adjustments to make things "sound better".

I sit probably 9 feet or so from the speakers +-2

You need something like a SPL meter if you wish to have people understand your preferences for listening when they are thousands of miles away.

Here is one that you can probably afford:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8928-Decibel-Meter-Digital-Accurate-Sound-noise-pressure-Level-tester-40-130-db-/271167212819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22d34d13

It measures peak SPL and has a peak hold feature. That's what we need to know!

·
Banned
4,273 Posts
What is your crossover point? 80Hz? The bass always requires the most power. So you will need more power in 2.0 mode than 2.1 mode. Farther listening distance like > 10 ft and louder volume like > 95 dB will also require more power.

Most non-deaf people just listening to music at regular comfortable volume will probably don't need more power than your AVR.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts
The CM9 has a sensitivity of 92.5dB/2.83V/m. Minimum impedance is 3.4 ohms @ 116Hz.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/bampw-cm9-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Let's say total volume from 2 speakers is 100dB (each speaker is about 97dB x 2 speakers in 2.0 stereo mode, no subwoofers). Distance is 10ft. Then it would take about 60 Watts into 4 ohms & 90 Watts into 3 ohms to produce a total volume of 100dB.

If total volume from 2 speakers is 103dB, it would require about 120W into 4 ohms and 180W into 3 ohms.

If total volume is 106dB, it would require about 240W into 4 ohms, 360W into 3 ohms.

Since your AVR can probably output 287 watts into 4 ohms, it should have plenty of power reserve given those parameters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts