Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions on receiver and/or separates for the following setup

B&W CDM 1NT speakers for L and R

B&W CNT Center

B&W LM1 for rears

Velodyne HGS-10 subwoofer

I've been looking at Rotel's gear but would like alternatives.

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
What is the size of your room? I would recommend going with CDM1 NT for the surrounds as well, and using a reveiver for now. I use a Denon 4800 to drive CDM7 SE's, CDM-C SE and CDM1 SE's - I used to have DM-602 for the surrounds and I was not pleased with them at all. I use a B&K ST1400 for the EX channels and agree that B&K works really well with B&W speakers. Pioneer Elite receivers, Denon 4802,5803, B&K 507 are all good choices, I think you would see more improvement - get more enjoyment out of speakers that match (from the same line) I've listened to the LM1's and like them, but I'm not sure that they will give you tonal balance or a smooth transition around the room when coupled with the NT line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses

I agree I should use cmd's for the rear but have a limited budget so I'd rather spend on the fronts, resell the Lm1s down the road when I can afford more speakers. My thought is that I would move the CDM1s to the rear when I can afford a setup similar to yours in front (CDM 7NT or 7SE).

The room size is about 16' x 20' with the system setup on the 16' wall. Ceilings are about 8'.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a Denon 5803 for my B&W 804s, 805s, HTM2, and HGS12. It's pretty pricey (and heavy) but it does the job like a champ.

-g

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you can afford it, B&W speakers love Bryston amps. I demoed many amps and Bryston are very fast. One of the reasons people buy B&W is there ability to accruately depict recordings. That said, a powerful and fast amp will help this task. I actually demoed the B&W's with Denon receivers and found the sound a little more laid back. Not really what I was going for. If you can pickup a new or used Bryston, your speakers will thank you for it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
B&W uses Classe amps when they do shows or at least they did a year ago.

I use a big b&k (ref 7250) and am pretty happy with the results.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have the exact speaker setup except I'm using SNT onwall surrounds. I'm very satisfied with my Pioneer Elite 45. I actually had a Rotel 5 channel amp on demo using the 45 as a pre/pro - and didn't think it was worth the extra investment as the 45 has enough clean power by itself.

I'd like to ask you a question on the Velodyne sub - I just replaced a B&W ASW-650 with a demo HGS-10. The Velo was a major improvement - much faster, lower, tighter and more musical. Unfortunately, I've heard from several users that the HGS died anywhere from several months to 2 years later. I'm very concerned about the reliability issue - have you looked into this? Also have you listened to the Velo SPL series - I've heard thay sound very similar for less money because the cabinet is slightly larger - although I have not auditioned them myself. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting you ask that question about Velodyne.

I called their offices the other day to ask them about their SPL and HGS lines. (I don't know the # of the top of my head but go to their website and look for the phone # in AZ. The guy I talked to was an elderly gentleman and claimed he had been in the business 35 years - so he really knew his stuff. I also think he is the only guy answering the phone there so call him if you have questions on the velodyne line). Anyways, back to your question.

Before talking to him, I was considering the HGS line. However, he made several good comments. THe HGS-10s have to work harder for a couple of reasons - size and they are designed more for music than HT. He also mentioned that they are phasing on the HGS-10 line and replacing them with something new here in the next month or 2. His point was stay away from the 10". He also suggested for a room my size (16'x20') that I would need a 12" and that if I was more HT inclinded to go with the SPL-1200s.

I've listened to the SPL-10s, -12s, HGS-10s, and HGS-12s. While I'm not the best audiophile around, the sound combination was great with SPL-1200, B&W, Rotel combinations. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I responded in your other thread about the velo sub. I'm pretty impressed w/the hgs12 II. I haven't had it long enuf to comment on any reliability issues, though.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
lobstertail - thanks, I will call Velodyne tomorrow. I'm surprised they would phase out the HGS-10. I'm using my system for both HT and music - and I'm much more critical when listening to music - the sub has to blend perfectly with the main satallite speakers. Sounds like you are leaning toward the SPL-1200? If the SPL is not intended for music (I was not aware of that) I will probably bite the $$$ bullet and go for the more expensive HGS-12.

Anyone know what a good price for the HGS-12 should be. The dealer I am working with was offering the demo HGS-10 for $1000.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I followed up on lobstertail's advice and called up Velodyne. I think I spoke to the same older gentleman - 35 years in the audio business and very kowledgeable. His name was Kurt. He suggested that I get at least a 12" or even larger for HT. He thought the SPL-12 was almost impossible to differentiate sonically from the HGS-12.

The HGS Series II represents some 30 odd amp upgrades from the original HGS series. He indicated that the reliability issues with the HGS-10 were the result of people pushing them too far for HT in larger rooms and applications than what they were designed for.

I am going back to my dealer to demo an SPL-12. :D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I followed up on lobstertail's advice and called up Velodyne. I think I spoke to the same older gentleman - 35 years in the audio business and very kowledgeable. His name was Kurt. He suggested that I get at least a 12" or even larger for HT. He thought the SPL-12 was almost impossible to differentiate sonically from the HGS-12.

The HGS Series II represents some 30 odd amp upgrades from the original HGS series. He indicated that the reliability issues with the HGS-10 were the result of people pushing them too far for HT in larger rooms and applications than what they were designed for.

I am going back to my dealer to demo an SPL-12. :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just thought I would put my $.02 in.

I have a similar setup as you, except perhaps up one notch on the B&W product line. I am using B&W SCM1's as my fronts, CDM SNT's as my rears and the HTM-2 as my center. My sub is the HGS-10 and I have had it for over 3 years now with no problems. For a speaker setup with a small footprint, I love them. I am using a Marantz receiver (SR 780 - no longer available) that is only 80 watts per channel. It has served my very well even though it is relatively low power. However, I would recommend more headroom on the amp. My room is about 22x16 and it gets very loud in there. Bass is very good.

Also, if size is an issue, I don't think you could find a much better sub that takes up less than a cubic foot than the HGS-10. Basically, it is a cubic foot. The sub has high WAF. Since the rest of your speakers are relatively small (no offense meant ;) ) compared to other in the B&W line, perhaps size is an issue.

If they are phasing out the HGS-10, perhaps you can get a good price on one. I have not heard people complaining about the HGS-10 on this forum though.

As another suggestion, if you buy an amp or receiver that supports 7.1, then in the future, you could make the LM-1's your side surrounds and just buy new fronts. In the next 6 months, I plan to buy N804's for my fronts, move the SCM1's to the rear and use the SNT's as the sides.

HTH

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The B&W dealer in Vancouver using Classé amps and SSP's. The combination sounds fabulous. They have a home theater system to die for ... sounds better than most movie theaters!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.