AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am here to seek some advice from experts here on the 5.1 system upgrade I am considering.

Budget:- USD 5K

Room size:- 11ft * 9 ft

Floor plan:- Attached

Receiver: Denon 2311

I am considering the following models and need your help to shortlist from the list.

B&W - 683 or CM8 or CM9, HTM61, 685 Surrounds, ASW 610XP Sub

DALI - IKON 7 system

DYNAUDIO - DM series

MONITOR AUDIO - GOLD GX 300 or GX 200 or RX 8 system

All comments are welcome and much appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have only heard a couple from monitor audio, and a couple of bookshelves from dynaudio.

the bookshelves from dynaudio impressed me more than floorstanders from ma.

just my quick opinion, no real critical listening, just first impressions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela /forum/post/20847686

i have only heard a couple from monitor audio, and a couple of bookshelves from dynaudio.

Thx bro, I have the same impression however since my AVR is Denon 2310 and Dynaudio being 4 ohms speaker, they are harder to drive and i am not in mood of changing my AVR hence a bit resistive on dynaudio....

also Dynaudio being expensive then others... so in my budget i can only go for DM series or excite fronts and rest of the system as DM

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_lover /forum/post/20845343

Friends,

I am here to seek some advice from experts here on the 5.1 system upgrade I am considering.

Budget:- USD 5K

Room size:- 11ft * 9 ft

Floor plan:- Attached

Receiver: Denon 2311

I am considering the following models and need your help to shortlist from the list.

B&W - 683 or CM8 or CM9, HTM61, 685 Surrounds, ASW 610XP Sub

DALI - IKON 7 system

DYNAUDIO - DM series

MONITOR AUDIO - GOLD GX 300 or GX 200 or RX 8 system

All comments are welcome and much appreciated.

Hello, do you listen to music? If the speakers are solely for movies and gaming, Dynaudio and MA are your safe bet. If you listen to 50/50 movies/music, I recommend you consider Dynaudio and Dali. Forget about the B&W speakers, they are laid back, slow and lack of details which are unsuitable for movies and most music genres, and are the most power hungry in the list.

Also in your floor plan it seems that you want floorstanders. If you have a sub or going to include a sub, bookshelf speakers are better choices as you can get bookshelf speakers one notch higher than the floorstanders from the same manufacturer if you can sacrifice some bass (which isn't a problem for your case as you will have a sub), but the bookshelf speakers will give you significantly better overall sound quality than the towers for you room size.

With your budget you can consider the Dynaudio Excite X32 floorstanders, or the new Dynaudio Focus bookshelf speakers with the respective matching centers instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_lover /forum/post/20848255

Thx bro, I have the same impression however since my AVR is Denon 2310 and Dynaudio being 4 ohms speaker, they are harder to drive and i am not in mood of changing my AVR hence a bit resistive on dynaudio....

also Dynaudio being expensive then others... so in my budget i can only go for DM series or excite fronts and rest of the system as DM

Dynaudio is NOT 4 ohms nominal. And Dynaudio more expensive?
Which dealer are you working with?
The DM speakers are actually the cheapest in your list. Also my another advice is if you limit your choices further by the impedance rating, your quest - in search of great speakers - will likely end with frustration. Watts is cheap nowadays, and good sounding speakers tend to be power hungry. Besides, many manufacturer specs are not accurate. For example Monitor Audio claims their BX2's speakers have a nominal impedance rating of 8 ohms, yet lab tests showed the actual nominal impedance no more than 5 ohms. On the other hand, Dynaudio humbly claims all their speakers have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, yet independent lab tests showed most of their speakers have a nominal impedance rating of 6-10 ohms. For example, independent lab tests showed that their award winning Excite X12 speakers have nominal impedance of 10 ohms, not 4 ohms as the manufacturer humbly claims. You can consider 4 ohms the minimal impedance for all Dynes.

My advice is, a pair of Dynaudio Focus 160 bookshelf speakers at $1600 + Focus 210C Center at $1,800 will sound much better than most floorstanders at the same price point. You can usually get a discount of 10-15% for Dynaudio from most dealers. My Dynaudio C1s also sound much better and dig deeper than most floorstanding speakers at the similar price range. So unless you have serious reasons to buy floorstanders, please also consider bookshelf speakers which usually sound much better than rival floorstanders at the same price range, especially for your room size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bro tigerstripe....

I live in Singapore and the dealer here may have jacked up the prices fro dynaudio. My requirement is 50/50 music/movies or gaming....Will check upon excite and focus ranges you mentioned. Also the choice for floor standers are more from the point that floor standers looks better then bookshelf :)

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 /forum/post/20848278

You should also check out definitive tech or goldenear....:)

DefTech Mythos ST/STS speakers are good mainly for movie watching and gaming and they are not well suited for music listening, as they are lacking some details and lean toward the bright side. The horizontal dispersion for the Mythos 9 or 10 center speakers are rather narrow and irregular too, although it shouldn't be a big problem for the OP according to his floorplan.

pda_lover, be careful on the build quality of DefTech and Goldenear as there are lots of reported quality issues on them. For your budget you do not need to buy speakers that are made in China. Please consider better quality speakers (built quality and sound quality) like Dynaudio or Dali (made in Europe).

Also if you happen to pull the trigger on Dynaudio and are concerned about the decoration, I can render some photo realistic 3D images for your reference according to your floorplan.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela /forum/post/20847686

Well I have auditioned most speakers available in great depth (as I am coming from a region considered as the audiophile heaven) and I can tell your observations are spot on!

At the same price level Dynaudio always outperform most competitors significantly.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_lover /forum/post/20851977

Thanks Bro tigerstripe....

I live in Singapore and the dealer here may have jacked up the prices fro dynaudio. My requirement is 50/50 music/movies or gaming....Will check upon excite and focus ranges you mentioned. Also the choice for floor standers are more from the point that floor standers looks better then bookshelf :)

In Singapore actually if you start comparing online msrp against street selling price, you wouldn't find dynaudio prices jacked up at all.

In fact, they are one of the more reasonable around, just that dyns msrp are not priced that low in the first place.

If you have the budget to look at gx200 or gx300, you have the budget to look at the dyn focus range.

You can also visit the local HT forum at Xtremeplace for advise especially pertaining to the local scene.

I'd advise that you look at the sub seperately from the speakers (eg. svs, rythmik), and possibly consider a power amp (eg. emotiva xpa5/upa5).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bro Etnt, MA GX 300 are priced around 5k SGD a pair.....i will look at dynaudio focus range as well....

So are you suggesting that i just go for Focus range fronts and buy sub + surround from different brand?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because you only mentioned the sub for B&W so I assumed that you are looking at the subs from the same brand.

Not to knock on them but I find SVS and rythmik as VFM alternatives and would suggest you get them seperate from the speakers.

I would suggest that you reuse your current speakers for surround since you are upgrading and focus (no pun intended) on the front 3 with the possible addition of a power-amp.

As an example: an emotiva xpa5 is abt sgd1.4k with shipping, svs sb12nsd abt sgd1.3k that would leave you with abt sgd 3.5k which should be sufficient for the LCR of MA, B&W, Dyn if you look at their bookshelf and center. eg. GX100(MA), Focus160(Dyn), etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't see why the boston cannot be reused as surrounds.

Also not asking you to upgrade the AVR, but the inclusion of an affordable power amp would alleviate any load concerns when choosing your speakers and more conservatively partition your budget.

Since you can audition those brands mentioned conveniently in the same building, I'd recommend that you do that first and maybe add into the mix Focal, KEF, Klipsch,

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
pda_lover: I second Dynaudio's! The Excite line and or Focus line would be very good ones to audition in your price range. Even some Contours as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually I was in a similar position last month and auditioned dynaudio (old focus and excite), b&w (cm8), ma (gx100 and gx200) and focal (816). Each have their distinct flavor and you definitely should listen to them first.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.