AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
There are an increasing number of Audio manufacturers who are finding that B&M's would rather do buisness with companies that don't allow on-line or catalog sales. B&W, DEFINATIVE TECHNOLOGY, PARADIGM, MARTIN-LOGAN, and POLK are among some of the speaker companies that rabidly enforce dealer contracts , and fight on-line sales. There are some component manufacturers that are begining to tout this agressive form of B&M protection to their retailers in an effort to show the retailer which brand supports B&M and hence, which brand he should support.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
B&W supports dealers in their efforts to fight against online speaker sales. It is so frustrating to have a customer take up hours(literally) of your time and then walkout only to buy the speakers online for 10.00 less.

If you are buying low end speakers it doesnt matter. but for mid-hi fidelity speakers the only way to get a sense of what they sound like is to listen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I typically prefer to make my electronics purchases at B&M stores. However, when there is only one company nearby retailing the brand (and no online dealers) the only leverage I have is with brand alternatives.

Any suggestions on floorstanding speakers priced $500-$1000 per pair? I've owned Paradigms in the past with mixed results, but I'll still consider them.

PF - What store are you referring to? I make it up to La Cantera every few months or so.

Agk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Most people agree that B&W DM602.5 S3 are not that great. A pair of DM602 S3 on stands may actually be a better solution at a slightly lower price.

The only other B&W floorstanding speaker that is within your price range is DM603 S3. I listened to this model at the B&W dealer and it sounded quite good, with clean mid-range with decent low frequency extension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.