AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty close to buying a surround set for my denon 1603 and from what I've read, and what's available to me, it's looking like one of these two brands. What I need to know is which model in the paradigm series is closest to the b&w 303's for around the same price? i'd like to do some side to side comparisons of the two and see if I can hear any difference. I'm in vancouver, canada so from what I've heard, the paradigms should be less expensive anyways.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 303 retail for about $300 US right? That comes out to about $390 Can?

Titans will be cheaper. I think if you get a littel discount you can get a set of Mini Monitors from Paradigm just under $400 CAn (I did!). Those might be the closest comparison.

I ran them for a day or 2 to brak them in as fronts in my system and was very impressed with them (before moving them to the back)

I've never heard the 303s. I did compare monitor 7s with 602.5. I thought they were close to equal but the B&W was a tad better on music but quite a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tino- I did an in home comparison of the 303's and the Paradigm Monitor 1's (the store gave me Monitor 1's because they were out of Mini-Monitors which I think is closer to the same cost). IMO the DM303 were far better than the Paradigms. The 303's midrange was for more detailed and had more depth, the base was also much tighter than the Paradigm which seemed a little muddy to me.

Let us know what you think after the test.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Your dollar definitely goes further with Paradigm, as it's a Canadian brand.

List price from the B&W site is $450 for a pair of 303s, and IIRC you won't get a huge discount, ever, on B&Ws. Anyways, for about $400 ish that should get you into Paradigm minimonitors. Getting at least 15% off on Paradigm speakers shouldn't be incredibly difficult.

If you don't mind expanding the list, Energy and PSB are two other well-regarded Canadian speaker companies.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How old were they? I think your experience had a lot to do with a horrible speaker replacement selection by your dealer. They don't even list a monitor 1 in the paradigm's archive pages unless I missed it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey heat were you referring to canadian dollars when you quoted $450? If so my apology. It did not say Canadian so I just assumed US dollars. Besides, without Canada I would not have hockey to provide me with night after night of joy (and anquish-come on Preds). I can't wait to visit Vancouver I hear it is beautiful. (tell your Vancouver boys thanks for helping me win my fantasy hockey league last year).

Jd perhaps they were Mini Monitors, although I swore the dealer told me they were monitor 1's... anybody know if there was such a speaker?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.