AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a pair of these B&W DM604 which would be my front pair for the HT.

Anyone have a pair or know if they are a good speaker for the money?

Also, I love music and want to know if they are a good speaker musically.

Thanks for helping a newbie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Without knowing what type of music you like, what amps you are using and what you are using for sources, it's hard to make a specific recommendation but B&W are certainly not the be all end all of speakers. The brightness they exhibit does help them out in a HT application but that same brightness combined with the very pronounced BBC dip and the slightly nasal sound make them far from my first choice for music. Try listening to Linn, Acoustic Energy(not Energy), Vandersteen, and Dynaudio and see if you're still satisfied with B&W.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with Tin Ear's views.

I always used to be a BIG B&W fan. Lately alot of their product hasn't been anything special. I also question B&W's motives when they introduce garbage like the AS1 subwoofer not to mention their entire subwoofer line is horrible.

I agree that there are far better buys out there. I think you should audition Snell Acoustic's line of speakers. Their speakers this year won 2 major awards:

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater 2002 Platinum Speaker system of the Year:

Snell XA2900

The Perfect Vision magazine 2002 Compact Loudspeaker of the Year award:

Snell K.5mkII

Anthony

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
B&W DM6XX speakers...

My friend HAD a pair of B&W DM603's...Please note that past tense was used in this instance. He would rave about how great B&W was, that is until I introduced him to Thiel and Dynaudio both of which after an audition he clearly agreed were better sounding to his ears. Smoother highs, the presence of mids and stronger bass. As the others have mentioned, the B&W's are good speakers, but there are better speakers that can be had at lower prices.

I would have to recommend that you audition the Rockets by Onix as well. I did and ended up selling my Dynaudios! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can't speak about 604, only about the DM 602 S2, which are often used in London studios. Being a studio musician, I do tend to like owning the speakers I hear when recording in rooms with superb desks. But that's just me.

The Brit sound is generally brighter and is an acquired taste. But I do like the mids on 602s quite a lot. The hardest thing to get right in a mix is the mids -- too much bass is fatiguing and misleading. For my purposes, the 602 seem just about right. Still, I wonder if they'd be right for your HT setup. You should hear them first.

Thiels are quite nice, of course -- I wouldn't complain of having those (nor Linn Uniks with a nice Classik setup, for that matter). But all of that is a bit more expensive, don't you think? I'd pick up a pair of Thiels tomorrow if they didn't cost as much as retinal surgery.

And in my case, I'm after analytical sound -- not anything overly warm or consoling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.