AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on B&W DS6 or DS7 on-wall speakers?

They are both monopole/dipole switchable on-wall speakers for the 600 and 700 series respectively. Rated freq response is 80Hz-22kHz +/- 3dB in monopole mode, but only 80Hz-10kHz +/- 3dB in dipole mode. In dipole mode the front mounted tweeter is not in use - and the 2 side firing 4" mid/high freq are utilized and wired out of phase.

The freq response in dipole mode seems overly limited to 10kHz - probably to reduce localization. I like the benefit of having a monopole/dipole option - but I'm concerned about the freq response. Comments?

(BTW - I currently have 9NT mains, CNT center and 1NT surrounds. I was thinking of using the DS6/DS7 for surround sides, and moving the 1NTs to surround back for 7.1 surround.)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have two DS6 right now on the side walls... and will be adding two more for the back... I like them... I don't understand your question...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mavromatics - thanks for your reply. My question has to do with the frequency response in dipole mode. In dipole mode the frequency response is cut off at 10kHz vs 20kHz in monopole mode. Does the high frequency limitation severely limit these speakers as surround speakers?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone out there must have a B&W DS6 or DS7 - or is knowledgeable about why B&W limits the high-end to 10KHz when used as a dipole?:confused:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mit07, sorry... I don't really know the limits... I just know that they sound good. Have you gone to your B&W dealer for a listen?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.