AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeezing out my budget, I am planning to purchase B&W 601 s2 (front) CC6 s2 (center) and DT Prosub 100. As for the surround I am undecided if I should get the LM1 or should I stay with another pair of 601s. My family room is 21' x 18', seating position pretty much in the middle and plan to place the surround all the way to the back. My questions are:

1. First of all, is it better to have the surround up in the back corner of the room, directly to the side of the listening position, or on the floor at the back corner? Which position will maximize surround effects?

2. With this in mind, this is how I will decide on what surround speaker I will purchase. If the surrounds are good on the floor, then I'll just come up with an extra $100 to get 601s. If it will sound better up on the wall (either corner or side), then I'll just get the LM1s.

I also have a dilemma on amp purchasing and I posted a thread on this too. Please help..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87521

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, I'm a newbie with a similar (planned) set up so you might want to take this with a grain of salt. I went with the 602 mains and am planning for 601's in the rear after auditioning them both extensively. There is only about $100 difference but it's worth the extra $ IMO. Move the 601's to the back, buy 602's (on stands at ear height, of course) and forget the LM1's (not timbre matched?).

As far as rears on the wall vs. floor. I say if you have room and it's behind your "sweet spot", I'd do floor stands at ear height. If not, then wall with the rears pointed towards your sweet spot would be ok barring any acoustic oddities of your room.

In my case, I'm going to have to wall mount my surrounds and point them down as I have no area behind my couch (flat up against a wall).

Try to home audition some if possible. This will be the only way to be sure what is optimal for your room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I am currently using a pair of 602s at the front and a pair of 602s to the rear, with a CC6 as my centre speaker.

To this date I have not listened to anything that can offer me a better sound for the money that I have paid.

I looked into purchasing the THX DS6 rear speakers. I found a local HiFi shop which had a pair in stock and went off to demo them. I was not impressed! They did not appear to offer me any improvement over my 602s.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm using the LM1s for Surrounds (4 of them).

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with Bng. If at all possible, try to get 602s for the fronts and use the 601s for surrounds. It'll be alittle more $ up front, but down the road, if the budget allows it, you can get a sub and this would be a dramatic improvement over what you are considering for both music and movies.

Good Luck,

--Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advices. I bought all the sutff this past weekend and here's the detailed cost:

Denon 2802 - $688 > Graffiti Audio

B&W 601 s2 - $375 > Myer Emco

B&W LCR6 - $400 > Myer Emco

B&W LM1 - $300 > Myer Emco

Definitive Tech ProSub 200TL > $469

I know that I probably could get some items cheaper over the net or mail order but figured I might as well pay a little bit more and so if I have any problems, I can easily bring it in the store. Besides, Myer Emco has a 1 year trade in upgrade so I'm sure I will be using that in a few months.

Anyway after auditioning my set the whole day Sunday, I thought of trading-in my 601s to 602. The LCR6 is just sooo good that it overwhelms the 601s. Now with Steve and Bng's advices, I am now more inclined in trading-in the LM1s and upgrade to the 602s for the front. Will keep you posted.

You guys are great. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.