AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a used HTM1 and found one on ebay I was bidding on. I had seen a Cherry HTM1 on audiogon that has a deal pending for which they were asking $1500(I assume a bit less was offered). I have seen them in this price range a while back on audiogon also. The one on ebay was black which is what I wanted and I thought it would go for around $1500 so I bid accordingly.

It ended up going for $2125. I thought the original MSRP was $2000. Can someone enlighten me as to the value of this speaker? Is there a new model that is basically the same?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
MSRP was $2000. B&W is so popular and so tightly controlled that people will pay most any price it seems. Maybe these guys were trying to match Nautilus speakers and have had a hard time finding them. Not worth that kinda money used, a more sane price is $1000-$1200 max. Might as well buy new after that!

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I thought the auction went way too high but I wasn't certain. It went from $1325 to $2125 in the last 10 seconds. I know sometimes on ebay things go crazy with people trying to outbid each other but that wasn't the case here. At least 2 people were willing to pay $2100 plus and waited to the last second to enter their bids.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Some of the B&W auctions are phonies set up to dupe unknowing buyers. I don't know if this is the case with this auction, but there are those who intentionally bid the price up with no intention of paying to foil the crooks.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think that was the case. The auction was at $1325 with 10 seconds left. If it were phony they would have bid it up with more time left.

I haven't checked the prices of new B&W center channels. What does a comparable B&W cost new now? Do they make one for $2000 that is as good? This particular speaker was described as perfect and 3 years old.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton /forum/post/0

I don't think that was the case. The auction was at $1325 with 10 seconds left. If it were phony they would have bid it up with more time left.

I haven't checked the prices of new B&W center channels. What does a comparable B&W cost new now? Do they make one for $2000 that is as good? This particular speaker was described as perfect and 3 years old.

The new one is HTM3S--and I think its 2200. People use sniping sites that do proxy bidding for them at the last second.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never heard of that. What purpose does it serve?

Never mind. I Googled it. Basically it just bids for you automatically at the last second. Maybe a little quicker than manual but no different than waiting and bidding at the last moment yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.