AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a small compact sub and been recomended by my dealer onto the B&W HV1 which has seriously got me thinking...

Anyways my current setup is only 3 channel, working my way up to a 5.1 and includes a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R V3, B&W 685 and a B&W HTM61C.

Sub will be used rouphly 70% HT 30% music and it will be placed in a reasonably small room (dont have dimensions right now)

With the AUS$2200 price tag this sub carries can anybody comment on it? or suggest anything abit cheaper with better performance that isn't the size of a tree stump

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysAUS /forum/post/12865782

I'm looking for a small compact sub and been recomended by my dealer onto the B&W HV1 which has seriously got me thinking...

Anyways my current setup is only 3 channel, working my way up to a 5.1 and includes a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R V3, B&W 685 and a B&W HTM61C.

Sub will be used rouphly 70% HT 30% music and it will be placed in a reasonably small room (dont have dimensions right now)

With the AUS$2200 price tag this sub carries can anybody comment on it? or suggest anything abit cheaper with better performance that isn't the size of a tree stump

The PV1 is fantastic for a small to medium sized room. I have five B&W M1's and the PV1 connected to the 540R. The PV1 is half of my money spent on the setup, but it feels like it doubles the sound stage and the dynamics of the five M1's. I would admit that the M1 are not phenomenal speakers, but the PV1 was a significant improvement over the other two B&W "lifestyle" subs: AS1 and AS2. Is it worth the $1000 more than the AS2? I definitely think so. The PV1 also has a high WAF, which is worth at least another $1000.

Now I actually have a question for you. Do you feel that the 540R is powerful enough for your 685? I am thinking about swapping two M1s with either 68X or the CM1. Any comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysAUS /forum/post/0

The SVS SB12-Plus should best this subwoofer in every area that matters. Deep bass reproduction, clean low distortion output, linearity across it's range and build quality. It is also significantly less expensive to boot.

You also get first rate customer service.

--Regards,

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
An 8" with 500 watts in a tiny ball? $2000? Whats the trick, is it coated with platinum? Otherwise it seems about 2000% overpriced.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
If the B&W PV1 uses an 8" driver then it will be required to have an extremely linear excursion to make up for the discrepancy in driver size between itself and the SVS SB12-Ultra which uses a high excursion 12" long throw woofer.

And even if it could match the excursion levels, it would be prone to intermodulation distortion among other things. The SVS unit also has parametric EQ built-in. I'm not certain if B&W offers that feature in their PV1.

The PV1 does look nice though.

--Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts