AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my Polks Monitors and Looking for an upgrade.

Been thinking about a few different options for a 3600 cubic foot room thats dedicated to watch movies and play video games. From what I have been reading having a matching front stage is the most important and bookshelfs are a bit more afforable then towers. They have less bass obviously but with a sub I should be OK and since its for movies and not music getting the words out is most important instead of full range speakers. Also a big issue I had with the polks was at low volumes they sounded flat, I needed to crank them up to atleast -20db to get a clear sound from them. The Kefs and B&w seem to have the clarity at lower volumes that I like.

Current reciever is pioneer sc 1522k. I want to start at 5.1 and then go to 7.2 once funds allow it. To start out I was thinking front stage first and then get rear sorrounds. Potentially save up enought and get book shelf L/R and move them to the back once I can afford towers. But do I really need to step up to a tower speaker if I am only watching movies?

Current ideas are:

5- b&w 685 ( i happend to find someone selling a single one) Not sure if the bookshelf will work on its side? or 4 685 and a htm 61 center.'

( auditioned the b&w liked the 685 over the 684 and the 683 are out of my current budget) I found the htm 61 center for 500 but no deals on the 685. pair.

5 q300 or 4 q300 and q600c center. Havent heard the q300, heard the q500 and liked them. I own a set of Kef 3005 and really like the sound. I found 2 a pair of q300s for 450 shipped and a q600c center for 400 shipped.

I am thinking I like more of the "briths sound" then a warm sound ( like the polks) as they dont have the clarity I want. I almost though klipsch might be a good choice and I can find some decent stuff on the used market but am on the fence with those.

Last option would be the ascends. I heard a set of cmt-340s but wasnt blown away. Granted the recording I used was not very good and later using that same recording on the b&w is didnt sound great. So that just let me know my choice in demo music was a poor one. Later listing to a CD on the 685's make them sing. The ascends someone is selling locally for $400, the L.R are not the SE model but the center is.

For a sub I am planning on going with a PSA xv-15

Movies will be played at medium to higher volumes.

For a room my size do a really need the towers or can I go with bookshelf and still get a loud clear sound.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I have a friend who has both the ascends and the BW 683...and we both agree that the ascends acoust cmt340s are better. Haven't heard the 685s...

·
Registered
16,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284398

You cannot put the B&W on it's side.
Well, you CAN. Although not as amenable to being toppled as the coincidentally arrayed KEF, a 685 would probably work OK toppled.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284446

I have a friend who has both the ascends and the BW 683...and we both agree that the ascends acoust cmt340s are better. Haven't heard the 685s...
Not that is intersteting. From what I remeber I really liked the 685 and the Ascends also sounded nice but didnt have the wow factor I was expecting.

Having compared the two what would you say charicarisically was beter about the ascends? (also the fact i can get all 3 for $400 is very appealing)

That is intersteting. From what I remeber I really liked the 685 and the Ascends also sounded nice but didnt have the wow factor I was expecting.

Having compared the two what would you say charicarisically was beter about the ascends?

(also the fact i can get all 3 for $400 is very appealing)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284398

My 1st choice would be the KEF.

You cannot put the B&W on it's side.

You can put the KEF on it's side since it uses a coincident driver (Uni-Q).

Do you think the bookshelf q300's and a q600 would be enought for my size room?

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284453

Well, you CAN. Although not as amenable to being toppled as the coincidentally arrayed KEF, a 685 would probably work OK toppled.

What do you mean "PROBABLY" and "OK"?

Have you ever tried it? The B&W sounds like crap sitting on it's side when I tried it.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284558

The B&W sounds like crap sitting on it's side when I tried it.

Yeah? What does crap sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284558

What do you mean "PROBABLY" and "OK"?

Gee, what is it that is difficult to understand? I mean exactly what I said. It will probably work OK on its side. The tweeter is pretty close to the midwoofer. And there is nothing about the speaker's baffle that would make the tweeter operate much differently if the speaker were toppled.

Consider the HTM61, below. It's a 3-way speaker. That's a midrange on the right and a woofer (crossed @ 350Hz) on the left. Hard to tell from the photos, but the 685's tweeter may actually be closer to the midwoofer than the tweeter is to the midrange driver on the HTM61.

That said, if a vertical 685 was definitely out of the question and unless he could get a single 685 for significantly less than an HTM61, I don't really see any reason for the OP not to use the HTM61 for the center if B&W were his choice. As far as center-specific, horizontal speakers go, it is not a bad design.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
You thought Polk Monitors were warm?! Oh man. Unless you mean they lack any sort of a midrange warm. ....Which brings me to my next point..I hate one word descriptive terms for speakers.

I'm not sure KEF, B&W and Ascend are something/the only the companies you should be looking at. Any audio shops near you?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284894

You thought Polk Monitors were warm?! Oh man. Unless you mean they lack any sort of a midrange warm. ....Which brings me to my next point..I hate one word descriptive terms for speakers.

I'm not sure KEF, B&W and Ascend are something/the only the companies you should be looking at. Any audio shops near you?

I have best buy and a Paul's tv. There's one other place but they are never open. I live in Massachuttes 30 minutes outside of Boston. I havent heard many other brands of speakers so I am going off of suggestions from others as I dont know if purching them and then returning them after an in home demo is feasable.

Also those three are the most I have read about on here, I figured if others were noted they might also be worth reviewing. I am however not stuck on the idea of anyone thing inpaticual. Speakers are subjective im some cases and what works for me might not work for you but out of the brands I have read about and had the oppertunity to hear I figured getting some additional imput would help with my decision making.

Asside from DIY speakers, is there something I should try to hear that would be in a similar price range to the above meantion speakers?

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284684

Yeah? What does crap sound like?

Gee, what is it that is difficult to understand? I mean exactly what I said. It will probably work OK on its side. The tweeter is pretty close to the midwoofer. And there is nothing about the speaker's baffle that would make the tweeter operate much differently if the speaker were toppled.

Consider the HTM61, below. It's a 3-way speaker. That's a midrange on the right and a woofer (crossed @ 350Hz) on the left. Hard to tell from the photos, but the 685's tweeter may actually be closer to the midwoofer than the tweeter is to the midrange driver on the HTM61.

That said, if a vertical 685 was definitely out of the question and unless he could get a single 685 for significantly less than an HTM61, I don't really see any reason for the OP not to use the HTM61 for the center if B&W were his choice. As far as center-specific, horizontal speakers go, it is not a bad design.

I am speaking from actual experience.

Have you ever ACTUALLY listened to a vertical designed non-coincident driver speaker play when set on it's side? Just try it and see what I mean.

Bottom line is, if it has coincident drivers, it will still sound GOOD on it's side.

If it does not have coincident drivers and designed for vertical image placement, the image will sound very awkward when you place the speaker on its side.

But then again, perhaps you have tried it, and it sounded okay to you. So perhaps we have different experiences.

But I would never do it again after my first try.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23285047

Bottom line is, if it has coincident drivers, it will still sound GOOD on it's side.
The way this can be absolutely true is if the speaker has the same height and width
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23285047

If it does not have coincident drivers and designed for vertical image placement, the image will sound very awkward when you place the speaker on its side.
As a single speaker or stereo pair?

A single speaker doesn't "image" like a stereo pair.

If you are talking about a stereo pair, it may not sound awkward at all...it really depends on the design/implementation. Granted, it may not be as great, but it also may not be bad.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23284963

The couch layout isn't fully decided upon yet. I think 13' about.

My family room is 18' x 20' x 12' and open to 3 sides. Even my little ATC SCM7 bookshelf speakers can fill the room just fine with my subs.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1471531/b-w-kefs-or-ascends-for-ht-upgrading-from-polks#post_23285073

The way this can be absolutely true is if the speaker has the same height and width

As a single speaker or stereo pair?

A single speaker doesn't "image" like a stereo pair.

If you are talking about a stereo pair, it may not sound awkward at all...it really depends on the design/implementation. Granted, it may not be as great, but it also may not be bad.

I've tried both - as a single center and as a stereo pair.

But guys, nobody wants "okay" and "not bad" from their nice speaker that they spent a few thousands on. That's my point. Everyone wants great sound.

Why spend all that money for that compromise ? Just do it right w/o that kind of compromise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts