AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor is leaving the country and selling his 2 Speakers. The booklet says "B & W 802 Matrix Series 2
". He says $300.

The Speakers are all black and all I know is that they are damned heavy. I can hardly lift one.

I know nothing about speakers but am in the market for two. He says they are over 10 years old.

Are they worth purchasing?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The 802D is one of the finest speakers that I've heard to date. But I'm afraid that I have never heard of the 802 Matrix 2
. Is that the correct model description or can someone enlighten me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 802 Matrix series 2 is an earlier predecessor to the 802D. The matrix was a very highly regarded speaker: for $300 I'd buy them if they are in good working condition. I doubt very much you'd find anything that sounds anywhere near as good for that small amount of money!

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgriel /forum/post/16851973

I'd buy them if they are in good working condition

+1

that however is something only you can decide. ask if you can listen to them first. if they sound good, they are worth the $300.

but you might also want to consider what youll be using the speakers with. when i heard the 802D's (newer version of your speakers in question) they were being powered by 300W mono amps (300W going to EACH speaker
)

if it were me, i would pick them up. but i would make sure that if im keeping them for the long run, i would later invest in an amp that is at the VERY LEAST 100W

·
Registered
634 Posts
props to you for getting such an awesome find!

audiogon.com might be a good place to look for a matching center channel. that site is usually very VERY high-end items, but the B&W 800 series does fall into that category

i would say check there and ebay. if youre serious with your HT use, youll want to make sure you pick up a "matching" center channel, aka B&W 800 series produced the same time as your fronts

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
that's not just a good deal, that's an incredible deal...

this is the center i used when i had my 802 matrix s3's...

·
Registered
583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 /forum/post/16852924

Thanks guys.

I just carried them to my house. It took two of us. He settled for $200 and a BBQ this evening.

Looks exactly like these, but all black. It sounds terrific in his house. My only problem is I have to get a great Centre speaker to match these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-&-W-Matrix-802...13194010r36773

Congrats! I just heard a pair of these today at a buddy's house driven by a serious Krell amp. Very nice.

Chris

·
Registered
22,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile /forum/post/16855209

just saw this, and i figured it would help you feel even better about the deal

the more i see/read, the more i realize that you really made out like a bandit!

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1252005869

well, those are s3's not s2's, but still, it was an incredible deal he got... bordering on an absolute steal...

i don't suppose his neighbor has another pair lying around?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 /forum/post/16852924

Thanks guys.

I just carried them to my house. It took two of us. He settled for $200 and a BBQ this evening.

How did you get those awesome speakers for $200 without A) a gun and a ski mask, B) naked pictures of your neighbor, or C) hypnosis??

That is a great deal on probably my favorite B&W speaker of all time. They are not "big room" speakers, and their forte is two-channel in a moderate-sized room with good acoustical treatment, and a powerful separate amplifier. If you power these with a receiver, turn in your man card.

Dewd, it is Christmas at your house.

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
to the op... if you are still looking for a center...

i was cruising ebay looking for something else, and came across this:

clicky

i don't think you'll find one much cheaper...

good luck...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.