AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling with this decision. Movies and music. medium sized room with 9 ft ceilings. I appreciate clarity and nice bass. I was going for B&W 600 series 5.1 set up at around $3700 but am now considering SVS prime line with towers for way less money based on what I have read about them. I also could consider a Klipsch reference premiere setup. Anyone have any insight? I am going to a store that as B&W and Klipsch on Saturday. I keep going back to the SVS page though.... $2200 delivered is pretty awesome based on the reviews. They look good too. Thanks for letting me think out loud. :)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
To answer your question would be highly subjective.

B&W or SVS or Klipsch? You might hate, love or think they're 'meh'. It all depends.

If budget is a concern, try the SVS Prime setup and audition it at home. If you're satisfied (hopefully happy with it), keep them. If not, continue the search.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
After installing the SVS Prime Satellites recently (for surrounds/rears), I gotta admit that I am VERY impressed with the massive sound that comes out of these relatively small speakers. I've been trying them out with different movies with action scenes that will tax any system at high volumes. They didn't distort in the slightest, even at volume levels that could probably cause hearing damage for most people. Thus, I would not hesitate to try out the rest of their Prime lineup. Great build quality, and I honestly like the understated looks of them.

The best part about SVS is their EXTREMELY generous trial period. Free shipping BOTH ways, so you really have nothing to lose. Odds are you won't be returning them. Haha. I used to be a B&W fanboi, but I think I may have switched sides for the sub $5k price range. Now if we're talking large towers, spending over 10 grand? Then, I'm probably back in the B&W camp.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One thing that I learned time and time again is you have to auditionspeakers. Everyone likes something different. I love my PSB Alpha setup, I assumedthat meant that I would love all PSB speakers. So one day I almost ordered someImagine speakers and then got the thought to drive to a “local” dealer about 45minutes away to listen to them first. Boy I am glad I did! In a direct comparisonbetween the B1 and the XB I could hear the XB had some very good qualitieshowever I still enjoyed listening to the B1 much more. That couple hours savedme thousands of dollars.

I did recently purchase an SVS sub. The major selling point aside from thepraise I read from owners was the 45 day trial, it is perfect you don’t like itsend it back. I am extremely happy with the purchase the construction and soundof the sub was very impressive. In addition SVS has some amazing support.

Whichever way you go I would encourage you to listen to them before you buy.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The 600 series B&W I demoed had the clarity, especially the 683, but didn't have much in the way of bass. My RF62IIs have much more.

If you're going to get a good sub then it doesn't matter much.

IMO I'd give the SVS a try out. Listening at the "store" is much different then listening in your own room.

Also if you're willing to spend $3700 on a B&W setup I'd go for this instead.

Maybe make a deal without the sub. The sub is OK for music but isn't nearly enough for movies. 60 day in home trial too.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/speakers-by-series/verus/verus-grand-tower-surround-hd

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sony has stepped their game up recently. Sound & Vision magazine rated it pretty high too http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-str-dn1050-av-receiver

It will have enough power for that setup
I hate decisions and I had a dream system that I sold because I needed to at the time then I tried sonos and liked it but, missed Bigger movie sound. So, now I sold all of that and am trying to order tonight. Amazon has that sony for $429 and the Marantz is double that... Local shop wants to sell me yamaha. In the end I don't think I really care about the receiver as long as it is easier to use than some I have tried in the past and has enough power for the mains. I am pretty decided now on giving SVS a Try. All of my friends who own gear have SVS subs. The speakers look great and now I have read many reviews that say they are. Might as well try not to spend all of my money on this. Thanks guys. I appreciate your time to respond. Have a great night.

·
Premium Member
8,043 Posts
The 600 series B&W I demoed had the clarity, especially the 683, but didn't have much in the way of bass. My RF62IIs have much more.

If you're going to get a good sub then it doesn't matter much.

IMO I'd give the SVS a try out. Listening at the "store" is much different then listening in your own room.

Also if you're willing to spend $3700 on a B&W setup I'd go for this instead.

Maybe make a deal without the sub. The sub is OK for music but isn't nearly enough for movies. 60 day in home trial too.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/speakers-by-series/verus/verus-grand-tower-surround-hd

I agree on the sub, I do have the above mention aperion Verus Grand speaker (except my surround are the bookshelf) and love them.
For the subs, I use SVS.
HSU, PSA also have nice offering and a few more that I am not familiar with.

Ray

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I hate decisions and I had a dream system that I sold because I needed to at the time then I tried sonos and liked it but, missed Bigger movie sound. So, now I sold all of that and am trying to order tonight. Amazon has that sony for $429 and the Marantz is double that... Local shop wants to sell me yamaha. In the end I don't think I really care about the receiver as long as it is easier to use than some I have tried in the past and has enough power for the mains. I am pretty decided now on giving SVS a Try. All of my friends who own gear have SVS subs. The speakers look great and now I have read many reviews that say they are. Might as well try not to spend all of my money on this. Thanks guys. I appreciate your time to respond. Have a great night.
Some other receiver companies to look at would be Denon. Denon is a go to company here for receivers.

If you are ok with buying a refurbished receiver you can get great deals on them from accessoriesforless.com.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts