AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sony only displays a Black & White image when using the RGB2 connector. Sony says that the problem lies in the lower lefthand video processing board. They said that it is outputting the three video levels at the same level and thus getting a black and white image. This is making my I-Scan line doubler worthless. Has anyone ever come across this problem, or has any idea on how to fix this. This unit has very low hours and doesn't appear to have had this connector ever used, so I cant explain what may have damaged this circuit.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
I believe that some of the 1030's, even the Q1 version are right at the border of their scanning rate at 32Khz, and that might explain the B/W pix.

Someone told me a long time ago that there was a zener diode that you changed on one of the boards to extend the scanning rate, but I cannot remember which one.

Anyone else??

Curt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the Sony tech's that was leaving Sony told me the same thing about the zener diode. He told me it was a 7.5V that if replaced with a 10V would extend the scanning range. I am not positive which board he said it was on. How many 7.5V zeners are there? Scan freq. is not the trouble, the image is perfectly clear and is line doubled with the I-Scan, just in B&W.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Right, but remember that the color portion of the signal is more sensitive to the sync and freq than the B/W signal. If you're right on the border of the H freq, then the set may not lock onto the color burst portion of the signal.

Curt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting thought. When you have time could you look and see where the zener diode in question is located. This may be the answer to getting this to work. If this is, I will sing many praises and do the happy dance.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Unfortunately, that I cannot help you with. I do not have the schematic on this set either. I think it was someone else on the forum that gave me the original info, and I did not save it, darn!

Curt

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Noizzie,

Could you try using the RGB 1 input the DB25 plug?

I am running my 1031Q with a DWIN LD5 doubler and I have had no problems.

I have a guy here on the forum using an I scan with his 1031Q and he has had no problems with the DB25 input either. It may be somthing with the RGB2 input. I have never tried using it so I couldn't tell you.

I got a breakout plug that converts the DB25 to 5 RCA's. You could find these plugs at computer specialty places or office type stores. I beleive the problem will go away if you use the DB25 input. I think the 15 pin input is a very specfic as to what is to be hooked up to it.

Before you start modifying the unit internally try getting a breakout for the RGB1 input.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Noizze & Vic ,

You cannot use the RGB-1 input in the same manner , it is TTL 9pin and will not take a line doubler . The RGB-1 is for old style pc connections , back before vga .

I would try to use a HTPC at 640x480 and see if you get color , using a PC with powerstrip 3 will allow you to check the scan rate . You should be ok at 640x480 [ which is what the doubler outputs ] , but checking it with a pc might help you track down the problem [???] .

I have had my 1031Q as high as 39 khz while doing 800x600 [ which should be at 41 khz ] . I can sync the signal with a HTPC from 640x480p through 960x540p [ which it is not supposed to be able to do ] . I did get a black and white picture one time while running 960x540p and it was just one small click down of the scan rate [ using PowerStrip 3 ] that got the color to appear .

Best of Luck ,

Jason Berg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for the record I am using the RGB-2 connector (DB-25). A I understand it the early 1030 would only scan to 26kHz, the later 1030's would scan to 32kHz (sn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
And for the record I have also tried using a HTPC with the same result. I think it is the machine capability not the signal.
Most likely, indeed : RGB signals are very unlikely to become B/W signals, unlike composite or S video which contain a black and white picture AND a color info. For RGB the color data is not bypassable by the proj.

If anyone can find the right zenner diode, I have a customer here with a 1030 which I might transform to a >32k capable unit, I'm sure he would be extremely grateful for this ;-P

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc-Etienne HUNEAU
If anyone can find the right zenner diode, I have a customer here with a 1030 which I might transform to a >32k capable unit, I'm sure he would be extremely grateful for this ;-P
Well, i'm using my 1030 (SN > 501...)with a Skyworth 1050-p (via VGA) and it locks the 32Khz... i still have a 4% overscan on the left, but it's quite normal for this set (and it is fixable).

I used it with an Iscan pro and it had worked as well.

I don't need higher frequencies at the time, but if anyone find out where is the right diode, it could be nice to have ,at least, the possibility to lock a 38Khz signal :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Well, i'm using my 1030 (SN > 501...)with a Skyworth 1050-p (via VGA) and it locks the 32Khz... i still have a 4% overscan on the left, but it's quite normal for this set (and it is fixable).

I used it with an Iscan pro and it had worked as well.

I don't need higher frequencies at the time, but if anyone find out where is the right diode, it could be nice to have ,at least, the possibility to lock a 38Khz signal :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uh, my customer's unit has a SN

Does the zenner diode fix work for these older units or am I gonna blow it (which I doubt he would be grateful for, btw).

??

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

I use a Skyworth with my 1031 without any problems.

Noizze,

I have a service manual for my 1031. Can you tell me which board you are talking about (BA or DB or whatever) and I'll have a look to see where the zenner diode is. I suspect that the 1031 boards aren't very different from the 1030 ones.

Brian.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Noizze ,

this may be a silly question but is your Test switch set to SECAM ? This can cause a black and white picture [ it has for me ] . Should be set to normal , although this may not be the issue I know that sometimes we get too technical and overlook the obvious .

Brian D. ,

as Curt stated above he does not have the service manual for this [1031] unit , it would be a benefit to all of us as 103x owners if Curt was to acquire such a document ;) . Maybe you could contact him and shoot him a copy somehow . I am sure that he could figure out which z-diode is in question here [ when he has both eyes at 100% ] , if you are unable to trace it yourself .

Best of Luck ,

Jason Berg

[[[ I guess the unit that I have must have already had this mod done since I can scan up to about 39khz - Lucky me ;) ]]

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Sorry, thats what I meant in the earlier post.....I am using the DB25 pin and I thought it was the RGB 1 input. I gues sit is the RGB 2 input. It has been a while since I had to mess with the settings on the projecotot or even looked at the front conector pannel I just thought the DB 25 was the RGB 1 in but I did mean the RGB 2 input.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Uh, my customer's unit has a SN
I found this info on a page of Silicon image site.

If the set is listed on the list of compatible devices with the Iscan Pro you always know that it locks 32Khz at least.

Huge list and very useful link, ihmo.

http://www.dvdo.com/dvdo/compat_iscanfp1.asp

·
Registered
426 Posts
Jason,

The service manual for the Sony 1031 is just under 200 pages long. Many of the pages consist of "three page fold out diagrams" which are printed in red and black. None of this will photocopy very well.

I've see some of the earlier parts of the manual (which deal with set up) on the web somewhere.

While I appreciate what you are asking, it would probably be easier to obtain a manual from someone in North America....I'm sure someone else mentioned they had one. I'm a little surprised that you can't actually buy one from somewhere .... I bought some 72in projection 'spacers' about two years ago from Sony UK.

If you do a search on the computer forums you'll find some posts by Yvonus regarding how he exceeded the horizontal scan capabilities of his 1031.

brian.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hooked up the I-Scan to the sony with a hand built cable tonight. It consists of connecting the comp sync, and the RGB signals. Nothing else is jumper. I am now getting a color image but it is doubled and shifted. It will randomly jump out of sync and produce a severely distorted image. This is driving me nuts. Am I beating a dead horse or is this workable?

Thanks to all those who have replied

·
Registered
426 Posts
Noizze,

The doubled image suggests that the projector is still seeing a video scan rate. Check to see if the HI-SCAN lamp is on. That should only come on if the projector is seeing a 32kHz signal.

Check the NORMAL/SUPER selector is set to NORMAL and try adjusting the RGB 1/RGB 2 H SHIFT control to see if that makes any difference.

There are jumpers on the iscan which select composite or (individual) h & v sync .. I presume you're set correctly there.

Finally, check your cables are OK. Many of the sync problems that are reported on the forum are due to cable issues.

I've been caught out that way myself.

Brian.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.