AVS Forum banner

27441 - 27460 of 28138 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
For hometheater the CCM7.5 will be a better speaker than the CCM682, however in situation with your 800 series speakers the CCM8.5D is a better match but a lot more money unfortunately. The CCM7.5 S2 would be a closer match than the CCm682 because you have the continuum driver. The CCm8.5D would be better because it has the Continum driver and diamond tweeter which the CCm7.5S2 does not have. The CCm682 has nothing similar to the 800 series speakers. If you read the Dolby White paper it clear states that in-ceiling Atmos speakers should be timber matched and full range speakers, it goes even further to say they should match your front speakers.
I was afraid of a response like this, but makes sense.

Oh after hearing my CWM8.3D in-walls i can completely advocate for the CI800 series line. They are truly amazing and match seamless with the D3 speakers....they are amazing! I wish i could do a complete CI800 surround and ceiling setup, however as with most things, some comprises had to be made with the theatre and the ceiling speakers were the ones.

I haven't really experienced much ATMOS/DTS-X content yet so not sure how much the ceiling channels will be utilized. I guess my question should be if the upgrade would be worth it with the amount of content and upcoming content out there. I think i will have to eventually upgrade though because the points you made about the similar materials between the CCM7.5S2 and 800/CI800 are enough for me to justify it.

Another question: Currently have SCMS as back surrounds, would you upgrade these to 805D3 before upgrading ceiling speakers from CCM682 to CCM7.5S2, or vice versa? Put another way; are the Height channels more important now than the back surrounds?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I was afraid of a response like this, but makes sense.

Oh after hearing my CWM8.3D in-walls i can completely advocate for the CI800 series line. They are truly amazing and match seamless with the D3 speakers....they are amazing! I wish i could do a complete CI800 surround and ceiling setup, however as with most things, some comprises had to be made with the theatre and the ceiling speakers were the ones.

I haven't really experienced much ATMOS/DTS-X content yet so not sure how much the ceiling channels will be utilized. I guess my question should be if the upgrade would be worth it with the amount of content and upcoming content out there. I think i will have to eventually upgrade though because the points you made about the similar materials between the CCM7.5S2 and 800/CI800 are enough for me to justify it.

Another question: Currently have SCMS as back surrounds, would you upgrade these to 805D3 before upgrading ceiling speakers from CCM682 to CCM7.5S2, or vice versa? Put another way; are the Height channels more important now than the back surrounds?
SCMS are considered 805's and so are CWM8.5D's, however and you are not going to like this CWM8.3D's are considered 804D3's. If it were me I would get a second set of CWM8.3D's as surround back to match your surrounds which are CWM8.3D's. Your bed channels should have priority over your atmos Channels for the time being. Later on I would Switch out the CCM682's with CWM8.5D's. You have already spent a lot of money finish it the right way to get you he best sound out of your investment.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Does anyone have amp recommendations for B&W 707 S2? I'm looking for something fairly compact with a DAC with USB/optical connection(s).

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Does anyone have amp recommendations for B&W 707 S2? I'm looking for something fairly compact with a DAC with USB/optical connection(s).
Got a budget? What about streaming capabilities, an any analog inputs?

·
Registered
827 Posts
SCMS are considered 805's and so are CWM8.5D's, however and you are not going to like this CWM8.3D's are considered 804D3's. If it were me I would get a second set of CWM8.3D's as surround back to match your surrounds which are CWM8.3D's. Your bed channels should have priority over your atmos Channels for the time being. Later on I would Switch out the CCM682's with CWM8.5D's. You have already spent a lot of money finish it the right way to get you he best sound out of your investment.
Okay the main bed channels take priority over the ceiling. I agree, keeping all the channels the same is ideal and the CWM8.3D would be nice for back surrounds to match 100% but given the tall back box (almost 6ft height) would not be feasible in my room to keep the tweeters close to same height as the other main channels. Will look into the CWM8.5D as you suggested though. Will leave the ceilings for time being.... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Okay the main bed channels take priority over the ceiling. I agree, keeping all the channels the same is ideal and the CWM8.3D would be nice for back surrounds to match 100% but given the tall back box (almost 6ft height) would not be feasible in my room to keep the tweeters close to same height as the other main channels. Will look into the CWM8.5D as you suggested though. Will leave the ceilings for time being.... Thanks!
How About a set of 804D3's which are the same as the CWM8.3D's. I am actually considering doing that in my setup because I have a open floor plan and no place for surrounds so my in wall surround would be moved to the position of surround back. Which would give me a perfect 7.2.4 layout because my current surrounds are at ear level on the back wall.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Got a budget? What about streaming capabilities, an any analog inputs?
Streaming like Airplay would be nice, but not required. Streaming would be nice, but not required. Analog inputs also not required. Ideally it would have USB instead of optical, but that seems to increase the price quite a bit. I don't have a set budget in mind, but it is mainly for desktop listening on $1000 pair of bookshelves. It look like it might be hard to beat clearing out the remaining Classe Sigma stock:
https://www.listenup.com/shop/classe-sigma-2200i.html

But it seems like they are going to be discontinued. Makes me wonder what is next though...like a new delta integrated $$$. :eek: Same with heavily discounted Krell Vangaurds now replaced with Krell K300i. The discounted prior models had me looking in this category.

A few more reasonably priced I've been considering:
  • Marantz HD-AMP1
  • NAD 3045 v2 -- had a bad experience with this model line and

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Streaming like Airplay would be nice, but not required. Streaming would be nice, but not required. Analog inputs also not required. Ideally it would have USB instead of optical, but that seems to increase the price quite a bit. I don't have a set budget in mind, but it is mainly for desktop listening on $1000 pair of bookshelves. It look like it might be hard to beat clearing out the remaining Classe Sigma stock:

But it seems like they are going to be discontinued. Makes me wonder what is next though...like a new delta integrated $$$. :eek: Same with heavily discounted Krell Vangaurds now replaced with Krell K300i. The discounted prior models had me looking in this category.

• Marantz HD-AMP1

·
Registered
623 Posts

• Marantz HD-AMP1

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

• Marantz HD-AMP1

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Just curious how do you guys feel about the BW 606 and HTM71 for movie watching? About a 13 ft x 13 ft room.
Love it. I have those 3 for my front stage, a pair of 707s for the rears. Add a sub (I have the SVS SB3000) and you're in great shape. Love the new B&W speakers.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I was also going to suggest the NAD Masters M10, as it's an all-in-one box, but that Classe one at that price would be an incredible bargain. Those are often mated to B&W speakers, and sound great.

Not as compact as the M10 but twice as powerful and has a good phono amp. I don't know if it directly streams Tidal HiFi (with full MQA) and all the other services that the M10 does, and certainly doesn't have the Dirac Live that the M10 has, but still really nice. That generation Classe was discontinued by the same group who also was the US importer and distributor for both B&W and Classe. but someone else recently picked up the rights to the name and promised all new products.

I will check out the NAD Masters M10. The lack of a physical volume knob is a turn off. I'm not sure how concerned I should be, but it was one of the drawbacks of my prior powered monitors is it used digital volume control with no physical knob.

Check out the NAD M10. It's an integrated streaming amp that should do a great job of driving your 707 S2 speakers.
It doesn't have USB, but it does have S/PDIF & HDMI.

If you don't already own the 707 S2 though... I'd consider instead going with the NAD C658 instead + a pair of active Elac Navis ARB-51 active bookshelfs.

I almost bought the ELAC speakers, but I'm coming from a powered monitor where an amp broke and was rather expensive to repair. The drivers had 5 year warranties, but the electronics was only 1 year. They were never quite the same, even after the repair.

Thanks for the recommendations!

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I will check out the NAD Masters M10. The lack of a physical volume knob is a turn off. I'm not sure how concerned I should be, but it was one of the drawbacks of my prior powered monitors is it used digital volume control with no physical knob.

I almost bought the ELAC speakers, but I'm coming from a powered monitor where an amp broke and was rather expensive to repair. The drivers had 5 year warranties, but the electronics was only 1 year. They were never quite the same, even after the repair.

Thanks for the recommendations!
While it doesn't have a "physical" knob for volume, the touch control works just perfect! In fact, I like it better because I can turn it down to a whisper if need be almost instantly. You touch the screen and it's right there.

You can also fully control everything about it with the Bluesound app on a phone, tablet, or your computer. I love mine for all these reasons and more because I have two other systems in the house with other Bluesound gear, so transferring a playlist from one to another or playing any two or all three (with independent volume control) is as easy as a click.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just curious how do you guys feel about the BW 606 and HTM71 for movie watching? About a 13 ft x 13 ft room.
My friend runs 603 + HTM71s2 and he loves it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have B&W 602.5 S3 fronts and I've just bought a SR6013 Marantz. My eye is on the B&W 703 S2 for my fronts. I would like the 702 s2 but they are out of my budget and there are probably too big for my living room.
So anyone with any advice around the 703 s2 would be useful. For instance if you don't think the 6013 marantz will drive it (say bi-amped).
The 703s sounds awesome in the sound room, I was going to the 704 but once I heard the 703 it was no going back.
Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am running Arcam P49 Amp on my 804 D3 and they sound very good. A lot better than Rotel, and even McIntosh (I know I get some negative comments for this but to me Arcam sounded better and they were a lot cheaper). There is something magic about their amplifiers and B&W speakers. I think any Arcam class G could also be a good match and they have some new integrated in their HDA which may meet your requirements but maybe more expensive. You can have a listen to them at any Magnolia shop in BestBuy (best to go to their diamond shop since they have better gear and 800 series).

That Classe is a bargain but it has class D amplification. I just don’t find them as exciting as the class A, AB or G but that is a matter of taste. Tell you the truth I have not heard Classe class D amp on a BMW speaker but their class AB is absolutely magical on any B&W speaker.

Good luck.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,396 Posts
What is your room size and where is your main listening position? Perhaps money is better spent focusing on 5.1.4 with good quality atmos speakers. For the main listener, 5.1.4 vs 7.1.4 is almost zero difference to be honest. However, if you're multi row where the side surrounds end up in front of the overflow rows then I can see there being benefit to 7.1.4 over 5.1.4. But again then yo have guests that didnt pay anything for your gear and would think it sounds incredible no matter what you have going on.

I also dont see a problem mixing 804D3 and 805D3. They're a very close timbre match. So even if that were the case I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
30,559 Posts
The lack of a physical volume knob is a turn off. I'm not sure how concerned I should be, but it was one of the drawbacks of my prior powered monitors is it used digital volume control with no physical knob.
Agreed! This has become endemic in this digital world because a physical volume knob is much more expensive to implement in digital electronics than is a control that accesses the logic directly. I have taken steps to implement a physical volume knob in my system but mine is based on a JRiver server, not a proprietary AV component.

Reactions: Tank_PD
27441 - 27460 of 28138 Posts