AVS Forum banner

28241 - 28260 of 28317 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I opened up my HTM1D3 and the styrofoam casing up top was cracked, immediately freaked out. However, no real damage to the speaker although it did have a small gash near the midrange looks like when it was made. Also there is this “stain?” best I could describe it on the top black gloss finish, I couldn’t remove it with a cloth, looks to be ingrained in the finish. Anyway, dealer told me to either hold on to it and they’ll order a new one or I can take the floor/display model for 400.00 off same warranty etc. He told me it was hardly used and it had no damages to body, I will inspect it today. However, one of the days I did a listen, there was a loud pop that occured when we were switching from one amp to another and the HTM1D3 was in fact connected. Any opinions on this? I guess the only positive here, other than the -400.00, that it’s broken in, perhaps too much though ?
I would wait for a new replacement when spending that kind of money. My 702s also have a small mark in the finish (rosenut) that appears to be from the factory. Not noticeable unless you shine a light directly at it and it blends in with the wood grain. I mentioned it to my dealer and they offered to replace it (which I didn’t bother doing). They also spoke of a customer recently that had a blemish in the finish of their new piano black 804. It sounded similar to what you described. They said they ordered a new one for that customer. B&W is apparently pretty easy going with their warranties they had told me. Those speakers are hand polished at the factory and there are bound to be some speakers that leave with imperfections similar to polishing/waxing a car that look like stains under a clear coat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
B&W 805 D3, HTM2D3, Rotel RSP-1576MKII, RMB-1585
263 Posts
I would wait for a new replacement when spending that kind of money. My 702s also have a small mark in the finish (rosenut) that appears to be from the factory. Not noticeable unless you shine a light directly at it and it blends in with the wood grain. I mentioned it to my dealer and they offered to replace it (which I didn’t bother doing). They also spoke of a customer recently that had a blemish in the finish of their new piano black 804. It sounded similar to what you described. They said they ordered a new one for that customer. B&W is apparently pretty easy going with their warranties they had told me. Those speakers are hand polished at the factory and there are bound to be some speakers that leave with imperfections similar to polishing/waxing a car that look like stains under a clear coat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s pretty much what it looks like “under the clear coat” so there is no way of getting that corrected huh? Funny enough I just got my 805’s and one of them also has a smudge mark on the back of the speaker, you can’t really see it unless you are looking for it

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I temporarily setup the 804s to my Sonos Amp as I don't have a Pre/Pro yet. Waiting to get the 7706. Will power them with a RMB-1585 for my 804 L/R HTMD3 center and 705s as rear.

Here is a quick little video: L/C/R with temp Sonos Sub on a Sonos Amp

Still have work to do. Need to hide the wires for the TV. Run wires to the ceiling for my 4 Atmos speakers. Run wires to the rear for the 705s2. Need an amp to power the ceiling and possible rear for later expansion. Would like to have 7.1.4 later down the line. The Sonos Sub is temp as I put it there until I get the 7706 to use with a SB-16 (Really wish they made it in white)

·
Registered
263 Posts
So I temporarily setup the 804s to my Sonos Amp as I don't have a Pre/Pro yet. Waiting to get the 7706. Will power them with a RMB-1585 for my 804 L/R HTMD3 center and 705s as rear.

Still have work to do. Need to hide the wires for the TV. Run wires to the ceiling for my 4 Atmos speakers. Run wires to the rear for the 705s2. Need an amp to power the ceiling and possible rear for later expansion. Would like to have 7.1.4 later down the line. The Sonos Sub is temp as I put it there until I get the 7706 to use with a SB-16 (Really wish they made it in white)
Any reason you are going with the Marantz 7706 vs a Rotel pre-amp, I see you are going with the RMB-1585 which I have been eyeing. Reason I ask, is because I always learned the pre-amp being the more important part from the power amp.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
For $400 off, I'd swap with the dealer demo for sure!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any reason you are going with the Marantz 7706 vs a Rotel pre-amp, I see you are going with the RMB-1585 which I have been eyeing. Reason I ask, is because I always learned the pre-amp being the more important part from the power amp.
The Rotel pre is 1k more. No eARC or HDMI 2.1(not really an issue for me as all the HDMI on my c9 are 2.1 but no eARC is disappointing). No XLR to amp. Max 7.1.4 so I cant have a a second zone 2ch for the outside if I wanted to later on.

Reactions: g.j.martin

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a living room of 36 mq2

My current setup is

front b&w dm602 s3 (really old)
cm center with twitter dome damaged
rear b&w m1
sub velodyne cht 12
ampli denon x2000

My use is 80 - 85 % for ht and rest for music,

i want to change my setup

My options are:

1)change front and center to new 600 series

2)change front to (606 ? ) new 600 series and repair cm center

3)change front to 700 series and repair cm center ( if i find a new tweeter)

4) change front and center to new 700 series

please help me

thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Rotel pre is 1k more. No eARC or HDMI 2.1(not really an issue for me as all the HDMI on my c9 are 2.1 but no eARC is disappointing). No XLR to amp. Max 7.1.4 so I cant have a a second zone 2ch for the outside if I wanted to later on.
That’s the one thing that has me reconsidering, a 3500 processor with no XLR’s yet the AMP can receive them. Why is eARC necessary (forgive my ignorance) if you connect HDMI’s to processor and ARC to TV? In my case, my Blu-ray player, AppleTV4k connect via HDMI to receiver. Have you checked out the Arcam AV40?

I’m really trying to figure out what to get, in between the Arcam AV40 with a PA720 or the Rotel 1576Mkii with the RMB-1585, maybe be open to other suggestions now since the lack of XLR on the Rotel is pretty lame. Someone recommended Anthem AV60 but, it’s over 4 years old now...

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
That’s the one thing that has me reconsidering, a 3500 processor with no XLR’s yet the AMP can receive them. Why is eARC necessary (forgive my ignorance) if you connect HDMI’s to processor and ARC to TV? In my case, my Blu-ray player, AppleTV4k connect via HDMI to receiver. Have you checked out the Arcam AV40?

I’m really trying to figure out what to get, in between the Arcam AV40 with a PA720 or the Rotel 1576Mkii with the RMB-1585, maybe be open to other suggestions now since the lack of XLR on the Rotel is pretty lame. Someone recommended Anthem AV60 but, it’s over 4 years old now...
eARC matters for my setup since there isn't an AVR right now with multiple HDMI 2.1 slots. So for example lets say I have a PS5, XBOX SX and a PC with a RTX 3080 I would need to hook them up to my LG C9 since all the ports have HDMI 2.1 and use eARC to pass lossless audio. If there was an AVR with all slots HDMI 2.1 then eArc wouldn't matter. ARC can only pass compressed audio.

Reactions: g.j.martin

·
Registered
120 Posts

My current setup is

rear b&w m1
sub velodyne cht 12
ampli denon x2000

My options are:

please help me

thanks
I have not heard the 600s but from reviews they sound great. Really depends on your budget tbh. 700s are amazing for the price.

Reactions: Roby77

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice...I have the 805's and Marantz 7705.
How do you have them hooked up? Trying to see if its worth even going for the 7706 vs a 6015 and use amp bypass. Its 1k cheaper and using the same DAC from what I have read.

·
Registered
263 Posts
eARC matters for my setup since there isn't an AVR right now with multiple HDMI 2.1 slots. So for example lets say I have a PS5, XBOX SX and a PC with a RTX 3080 I would need to hook them up to my LG C9 since all the ports have HDMI 2.1 and use eARC to pass lossless audio. If there was an AVR with all slots HDMI 2.1 then eArc wouldn't matter. ARC can only pass compressed audio.
Confused though... you are buying an pre-pro right now (the marantz) if your ps5, Xbox, and pc are connected to the marantz/Rotel via hdmi, and that single monitor out hdmi is ARC for example, only your picture is passed via the ARC HDMI to your LG isn’t it? Whereas your audio is processed lossless at the pre-pro and onto your amplifier. Now if your talking the 8K or 4K/120hz aspect then that’s different, or if you are using the apps from the LG itself for streaming lossless. I think?

·
Registered
263 Posts

My current setup is

rear b&w m1
sub velodyne cht 12
ampli denon x2000

My options are:

please help me

thanks
No doubt if you can swing it change your LCR to the same series. 700 series is excellent. I would spring for the HTM71 though, the 72 is a little boxy for me. You could do what I had before depends on your budget of course. 704S2 + HTM71 or 702S2 + HTM71 if your watching a good amount of movies don’t skimp on that center.

·
Registered
247 Posts

My current setup is

rear b&w m1
sub velodyne cht 12
ampli denon x2000

My options are:

please help me

thanks
I agree with the suggestions to go for the 700 series if you can afford it and preferably the HTM71. I own them and I am very happy with my purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Roby77 you should buy the best centre channel that you can afford in whatever series that you decide on. That will have the biggest impact next to sound treatments of your listening area.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Roby77 you should buy the best centre channel that you can afford in whatever series that you decide on. That will have the biggest impact next to sound treatments of your listening area.

28241 - 28260 of 28317 Posts