AVS Forum banner

28281 - 28300 of 28317 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Not sure this is the right thread because my question is more about streaming than the speakers brand, but Ill try it here. I am a new owner of B&W Formation Duo speakers (by the way today they are 20% off everywhere in the USA from BW own site to bestbuy for "Black Friday") Of course I bought them on Saturday before they went on sale, but that's another story. These are the speakers with integrated amps you stream to. Sound quality is absolutely amazing in my opinion. Here goes the question.

B&W Formation Duo is 24/96 speakers. I've tried several online high def music services and stayed between Tidal and Amazon high def music. Ultimately I cancelled Tidal and left Amazon high def, both have extensive music library, both have 24/192, but Amazon is $79 a year for me as an amazon prime member, while Tidal is over $20 a mo....

I want to stream the highest quality to my Formation Duo. When I stream from my Iphone via Bluetooth, iphone limits it to 16/44.1. However, when I stream from my macbook pro via Bluetooth, it streams at 24/48, which is better than Iphone, but still below 24/96 which Formation Duo can get. If I go Airplay from Macbook, Apple limits it to 16/44.1. However, I've read somewhere that bluetooth initial encoding strips music files from lots of data and degrades music quality. Is that true? So Airplay at 16/44.1 is better music quality than same via bluetooth at 24/48?

I asked B&W over facebook app, and B&W of course wants me to sign up for both Roon and Tidal and pay for both, and run Tidal over Roon. Amazon high def music service does not work with Roon.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
B&W 805 D3, HTM2D3, Rotel RSP-1576MKII, RMB-1585
263 Posts
Idk I’ve heard “lamp cord” wire and then I heard an AQ rocket 88 and I heard a difference. Now, that difference was very small, what I could describe was just a wider soundstage, it was if the “lamp cord” was just thin sounding. However, I don’t think that “difference” is worth 1300.00 (paid of 88’s, which I actually get a 50% discount on, so, 700 or so)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Not sure this is the right thread because my question is more about streaming than the speakers brand, but Ill try it here. I am a new owner of B&W Formation Duo speakers (by the way today they are 20% off everywhere in the USA from BW own site to bestbuy for "Black Friday") Of course I bought them on Saturday before they went on sale, but that's another story. These are the speakers with integrated amps you stream to. Sound quality is absolutely amazing in my opinion. Here goes the question.

B&W Formation Duo is 24/96 speakers. I've tried several online high def music services and stayed between Tidal and Amazon high def music. Ultimately I cancelled Tidal and left Amazon high def, both have extensive music library, both have 24/192, but Amazon is $79 a year for me as an amazon prime member, while Tidal is over $20 a mo....

I want to stream the highest quality to my Formation Duo. When I stream from my Iphone via Bluetooth, iphone limits it to 16/44.1. However, when I stream from my macbook pro via Bluetooth, it streams at 24/48, which is better than Iphone, but still below 24/96 which Formation Duo can get. If I go Airplay from Macbook, Apple limits it to 16/44.1. However, I've read somewhere that bluetooth initial encoding strips music files from lots of data and degrades music quality. Is that true? So Airplay at 16/44.1 is better music quality than same via bluetooth at 24/48?

I asked B&W over facebook app, and B&W of course wants me to sign up for both Roon and Tidal and pay for both, and run Tidal over Roon. Amazon high def music service does not work with Roon.

Any thoughts?
Bluetooth compresses the audio, typically using apt-x as the compression codec. So it's definitely applying some lossy data compression to your source files.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. It's hard to hear the difference between 44.1/16 and 96/24 on a truly high-end system playing back with physical media; you're not going to hear the difference using bookshelf speakers and streaming audio. Pick whichever service has the best selection of music for your taste, and a delivery mechanism that is most convenient.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Idk I’ve heard “lamp cord” wire and then I heard an AQ rocket 88 and I heard a difference. Now, that difference was very small, what I could describe was just a wider soundstage, it was if the “lamp cord” was just thin sounding. However, I don’t think that “difference” is worth 1300.00 (paid of 88’s, which I actually get a 50% discount on, so, 700 or so)
Depending on the gauge of the "lamp cord" wire that could be problematic. You do have to have speaker wire of an appropriate gauge, based on the length of the run and the amount of current you're passing.

Anything further than that, though, is just cosmetics. Wider soundstage and more air around the violins and lifted veils all disappear when you don't know whether you're listening to the fancy stuff or the basic stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know about AQ but i used a lot of nordost they do make alot of differences if your system is revealing enough...bring your speaker cable along to a-b test or t-loan one to try u will be surpise at the result..."for those who don't believe they are cosmetic not gonna argue with you"

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I finally ordered the HTM1D3 with original stand, replacing the HTM2D2

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 7.2 setup with B&W 702 S2 fronts, HTM71 S2 Center, in ceilings for surrounds and 2x SVS SB4000 for subs. My receiver is an Integra DRX 5.2 which is probably the weakest part of the system - it just integrated easiest with our home automation stuff. My question is how worthwhile an upgrade on my center channel would be. If I jump up to the HTM2 D3, would I notice a significant difference? Would it blend well enough with the 702s? Would I need to totally switch my power to a new harder hitting receiver or dedicated amp setup?

The system is almost exclusively for movies in the home living room.

Subjective I know - thanks in advance!

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
I have a 7.2 setup with B&W 702 S2 fronts, HTM71 S2 Center, in ceilings for surrounds and 2x SVS SB4000 for subs. My receiver is an Integra DRX 5.2 which is probably the weakest part of the system - it just integrated easiest with our home automation stuff. My question is how worthwhile an upgrade on my center channel would be. If I jump up to the HTM2 D3, would I notice a significant difference? Would it blend well enough with the 702s? Would I need to totally switch my power to a new harder hitting receiver or dedicated amp setup?

The system is almost exclusively for movies in the home living room.

Subjective I know - thanks in advance!
The HTM2D3 should be a really big upgrade, yes. And yes, it blends awesomely with 702s2's. My friend has an HTM1D3 with 4 702S2's in his 5.1.4 setup. It's really awesome.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I was researching the 7 series they suggested powering them. I added a Monolith 7 x 200 amp to my 5.1 system, bi-amping the 702 fronts, bi-wiring the HTM71 and 706 rears and I am very happy with the upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
The HTM2D3 should be a really big upgrade, yes. And yes, it blends awesomely with 702s2's. My friend has an HTM1D3 with 4 702S2's in his 5.1.4 setup. It's really awesome.
I had the 702S2’s with a HTM2 D3. It was a great combination. The HTM2 D3 is a massive upgrade over your current centre channel. In fact I just switched to the HTM1 D3 which is another significant improvement. I would suggest getting some dedicated amplification but your receiver will suffice in the meantime. I had my system powered by an Anthem receiver for a while and it sounded good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you all! With regards to adding a dedicated amp to supplement my AVRs power output for these speakers...is it as simple as purchasing a dedicated amp and running the front 2 and center through the amp? Could I just use the AVR built in power to continue to power the surround 4 speakers (don't really need much power like the front 3). Clearly I am no expert on dedicated amps and how that works despite flipping through forums...

If so, sounds like an HTM2 D3 and AMP might be in the cards for Santa pending wife approval...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thank you all! With regards to adding a dedicated amp to supplement my AVRs power output for these speakers...is it as simple as purchasing a dedicated amp and running the front 2 and center through the amp? Could I just use the AVR built in power to continue to power the surround 4 speakers (don't really need much power like the front 3). Clearly I am no expert on dedicated amps and how that works despite flipping through forums...

If so, sounds like an HTM2 D3 and AMP might be in the cards for Santa pending wife approval...
Yes - using outboard amplifiers for the LCR speakers (which typically play the most demanding and loudest content), and the internal amps in the AVR to handle the surrounds, is a really good approach. Lots of people using this tactic.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Or you can purchase a good quality stereo amp to drive the LR, leave the AVR for the center and surrounds.
That can work, especially if your priority is music over movies/TV, but for the latter the center channel often has the highest share of content out of the entire soundtrack.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also doesn’t typically require as much power as the LR. You can spend the money in a quality stereo amp, otherwise you’re looking for a multichannel amp where you’re spending money on amplification channels you won’t use unless you can find a 3 channel amp? The only one that comes to mind is Emotiva since you can choose how many amps you want in the chassis and expand later if needed. There may be others?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Also doesn’t typically require as much power as the LR. You can spend the money in a quality stereo amp, otherwise you’re looking for a multichannel amp where you’re spending money on amplification channels you won’t use unless you can find a 3 channel amp? The only one that comes to mind is Emotiva since you can choose how many amps you want in the chassis and expand later if needed. There may be others?
ATI has some great multichannel amps where you can specify the number of channels you want. But still, yeah, good point.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Or you can purchase a good quality stereo amp to drive the LR, leave the AVR for the center and surrounds.
Definitely if your priority is home theatre you need to buy a three channel amp. As mentioned multiple times the centre channel is the most important aspect in a good home theatre set up. There are many manufacturers that do multichannel amps including three channels. Bryston, NAD, McIntosh, Emotive, etc. To save money you can buy a used amp for this purpose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks again, everyone!

I have created a new post in the avr/amp channel as my questions are starting to drift away from B&W talk. Don't want to be that guy haha. MUCH APPRICIATED!

-Whit

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
I'd take an HTM1D3 + receiver amp over an HTM2D3 + Separate amp - any day

28281 - 28300 of 28317 Posts