AVS Forum banner

18121 - 18140 of 28204 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24677946

If it costs $200.00, and you are selling it for $649, your hardware profit is $449 is what you are saying. Okay- but where are you accounting for the costs associated with supporting the sale? The data centers to host Siri, Maps, and so on that make people buy the product? Let's assume that $200 includes just the parts which is what these websites like iSupply are calculating. They aren't calculating the licensing, certifications, and so on in because they can't. They don't know what the IP license agreement is between Apple and Qualcomm. What about the $ Apple spent buying companies to put technology into the phone. How much did Apple pay for the company that developed Siri? How about how much did they spend on the company that originally designed the A7 chip? The list keeps going and going on money spent to get the phone to production but nobody is adding it in nor are they aggregating it across the piece price. That's where the loss comes in though on the hardware. I agree that in the end Apple is still making a boat load of money on the phone and that's not my argument. My argument is that the total bill of material with all costs added in is more than $649 per phone and Apple is losing money until the phone starts getting used. Once the phone turns on for the first time though- the cash starts pouring in which quickly puts them into the positive for that single device.

Of course it is being accounted for, and they still made 10.2bn for the quarter...this is getting silly..of course they make "more" money when the phone is used, but they make good coin on the units themselves.

Do this - take a look at their revenue breakdown (categories) for the most recent quarterly earnings, and for giggles, assign a net loss to the iPhone and iPad - what number would you like? $200m? Half a billion? Whatever....now, apportion the 10.2bn in profit, (include offsetting your purported iDevice loss number), to the remaining categories where it doesn't look ludicrous compared to the revenue numbers. Let us know how that works out.

I'm going to cut my grass, to get some productivity out of this morning...

Reactions: Patrick Butler

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18090#post_24677924

What we know about Apple is that they know how to make money. There is no evidence that Apple is losing money on each phone sold. That is not their business model, although it may be HP's or Canon's with printers. Industry estimates has put the complete construction costs of an iPhone 5s at around $200. By that phone with no contract for $649, and you are grossing some nice money. Once again, what are they grossing on each phone sold? We'll never know. What we do know is that they are sitting on north of $130B in cash. They do that by making money on everything, like every other premium brand out there.

As for the Siri part, there is nothing nice about it. It's a service that helps differentiate the product and helps Apple maintain their premium brand status.

This is one of the oldest tricks in the (business) book.........

As Mr. Land and Mr. Kodak used to say "We'll give them the camera (for free), it's the film that we get them on...." (or something like that!)

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24678239

You guys need to go another forum anybody who has a business is going to make profit so go back to BW's speakers.

Agreed sorry to start this by using them as a example, there are many threads, websites hell whole rumour eco-systems around apple enough forums to have that discussion. Getting back to B&W the point was that at least for the 800 line you can see where the cost over the BOM are they allowed many people to visit the place they create them and put videos online. Unlike what was claimed much of it is handwork by people in the uk not the cheapest place in the world. I am sure B&W and their dealers have a good margin (as they should) so thats how we got to this is normal you can't look at the BOM as a indication for cost or sales price. Its a mix of extra cost, profit and last but not least what a market will allow.

I think my 802D2's are good value but i have to except that most of my friends think i am crazy let alone the avg person on the internetz

Daniel.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24678538

Agreed sorry to start this by using them as a example, there are many threads, websites hell whole rumour eco-systems around apple enough forums to have that discussion. Getting back to B&W the point was that at least for the 800 line you can see where the cost over the BOM are they allowed many people to visit the place they create them and put videos online. Unlike what was claimed much of it is handwork by people in the uk not the cheapest place in the world. I am sure B&W and their dealers have a good margin (as they should) so thats how we got to this is normal you can't look at the BOM as a indication for cost or sales price. Its a mix of extra cost, profit and last but not least what a market will allow.

I think my 802D2's are good value but i have to except that most of my friends think i am crazy let alone the avg person on the internetz

Daniel.
When its your money, you buy whatever you want, I hear that crap from my friends and relatives too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, I'm working with a 20 x 20 room and the way the in wall entertainment center is designed I can not fit any floor standers. I purchased a pair of 685s and htm61 for the center. I was thinking about purchasing two more htm61's to use lcr since they will fit in the lr position. Anyone ever try this?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmonbuilt  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24679424

Hey guys, I'm working with a 20 x 20 room and the way the in wall entertainment center is designed I can not fit any floor standers. I purchased a pair of 685s and htm61 for the center. I was thinking about purchasing two more htm61's to use lcr since they will fit in the lr position. Anyone ever try this?
Welcom to avs

·
Registered
23 Posts

First off I'm new to AVS and home theater. I'm looking for a little advice. I purchased 683s less than a year ago and now want to purchase a center channel. I'm wondering if I should purchase the htm61 or htm62 or try to find an htm61 that matches my 683s from last year. I was told that the new one would overpower my "old" 683s. Thanks for your help

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfjules  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24679716

I was told that the new one would overpower my "old" 683s. Thanks for your help

I would totally disagree. As long as all the speaker channel levels are all matched, you should be peachy.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfjules  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24679716

First off I'm new to AVS and home theater. I'm looking for a little advice. I purchased 683s less than a year ago and now want to purchase a center channel. I'm wondering if I should purchase the htm61 or htm62 or try to find an htm61 that matches my 683s from last year. I was told that the new one would overpower my "old" 683s. Thanks for your help
Have not heard them but I would definitely go with the new Htm61 as it is more like the CMC2.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmonbuilt  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24679424

No

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24678538

Daniel.

Dealers have a 50 point margin, so they pay $7,500 for the 802Diamond.

B&W total cost is probably $3,250 ( including, R&D, SG&A, material) so they probably have a profit of $3,250

Of course that's just a hypothesis, regarding how much does B&W makes!

Regarding dealer cost that's a fact

By the way the NAUTILUS PRESTIGE used to be $30,000 MSRP now it is $60,000 nice margins for a product that is identical as when it was launched!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24678600

When its your money, you buy whatever you want, I hear that crap from my friends and relatives too.

Agreed 100% buy what you want with your money, wine, cars, boats, planes, painting, jewelry, rugs, speakers, amplifiers, better yet travel to exotic locations...

That's why you slave +60 hours a week so you can enjoy the finer things in life

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24681269

Agreed 100% buy what you want with your money, wine, cars, boats, planes, painting, jewelry, rugs, speakers, amplifiers, better yet travel to exotic locations...

For real

·
Registered
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24681269

agree

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry. I thought I was in the B&W speakers thread.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmonbuilt  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/18120#post_24681169

Any reason it would be a bad idea? I would think it would sound great especially since the LR position will be vertical.

Arranged vertically, three HTM61s might work quite well. I haven't tried it myself nor have I read anything about other B&W owners trying this configuration unfortunately. Most dealers give at least 30 days but since the HTM61 is discontinued (due to release of the HTM61 S2) it could be a slightly risky experiment.

18121 - 18140 of 28204 Posts