AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys, i bought this sound bar, awesome, but I'm a total newbie to audio set ups.

I got a the Philips 60PFL8708S/12 together with it.

I got to play youtube videos off the TV's integrated app, but i cannot seem to be able to output that sound to my sound bar, i tried connecting by hdmi cable; and it works in the sense that the tv recognises the sound bar ( i see it popping up in the menu) but the sound still goes through the TV's speakers.

Now i got it working by using the AUX cable output of the TV; but thats not really ideal since i can't seem to access all the sound bar it's functions, because thats only possible by HDMI giving it an on-screen menu, from what i read.

Now how the heck do i make this sound bar work by HDMI? The guy at the store told me its not possible by this and i need to connect something to it like a digibox or a blue ray player; but I'm not sure about his advice.

Anyway i am planning to buy Apple TV too, can i connect the sound bar to Apple TV ? How do i do that? The Apple TV has only one HDMI connection. How can i let my apple tv output image to my tv and sound to my sound bar ??

I was thinking of an optical cable but then i don`t have a menu for setting bass etc because it seems that is an onscreen menu; that only works on HDMI i guess...

HELP ! Greatly appreciated ! 

Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Seems to me the TV isn't outputting audio through HDMI, try optical out from the TV and leave the HDMI connected. I prefer all my sources connected directly to the sound bar.

·
Registered
14 Posts

This sound bar will work with HDMI on your TV. However there are some caveats that you need to be aware of. I agree with Colour's recommendation that all your sources should plug into your sound bar and not your TV. The reason for this is that although the Philips 60PFL8708S/12 has multiple HDMI connections it only supports ARC for one device connection at a time. So try this:-

1. Remove all HDMI connections from the TV
  2. Ensure ARC is enabled on your TV. 
    1. Press home  and select Setup and press OK.
    2. Select TV settings > Sound > Advanced > HDMI ARC.
    3. Make sure ARC is ON
  3. Plug in an HDMI cable into any HDMI connection on the TV
  4. Plug the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT (ARC) connection on your sound bar. Make sure it is the HDMI OUT NOT any of the other three HDMI inputs. The HDMI (OUT) ARC connection is both an input and output.It sends video signals from sources connected to your soundbar HDMI inputs to the television, while also receiving television based audio.
  5. Connect all your other devices directly to the sound bar. In its default setup your soundbar will switch on automatically when an input signal is present on Input 1.

The other caveat you should be aware of is that only HDMI inputs on the soundbar can be routed to the HDMI OUT. You cannot route Digital or analogue audio jack signals on the soundbar  to the HDMI OUT interface of the soundbar.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts