AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen all the threads on Large vs Small settings on receivers. I read through these and my question wasn't answered because everyone figures you own a sub.

I have a pair of 603 s3s, and a LCR 600 center. I don't have a sub yet. I watch movies and listen to musics. My preamp (HK Sig 2.0) won't let me set seperate speaker settings for music and movies, so I got to pick one.

I am running 100 watts to each of the 3 speakers. I would like to feel some bass during movies and music.

My question are:

1) Can I actually damaged the woofers from setting them to large and using the speakers at medium to high volume?

2) Do DD and DTS soundtracks send any bass to the center? It is a fairly large center with 6.5 in woofers. Should I keep this at large or small?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
1) Very Rare. In your case, I'd say NO .

2) yes . but use your judgement when setting it as large or small. play any scene [like black hawk down or something] and with just the center on, see if the cone bottoms out/acts funny when set as large. honestly I think you should be fine with the large setting.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I agree, Large should be fine. The 600 series with a 100 watt amp will be fine. Have you used an SP Meter to setup your Volume/Reference point. Let's say your receiver MFG states Volume set to "0" on your receiver @ 75DB on your SP Meter. If you don't go higher then the "0" Volume setting/Reference Sound Volume, you should be fine.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy
I agree, Large should be fine. The 600 series with a 100 watt amp will be fine. Have you used an SP Meter to setup your Volume/Reference point. Let's say your receiver MFG states Volume set to "0" on your receiver @ 75DB on your SP Meter. If you don't go higher then the "0" Volume setting/Reference Sound Volume, you should be fine.

Any Thoughts?
Have not tried that. Will look into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The small setting is only relevant to systems with a subwoofer; ignore it otherwise.

It prevents destructive interference from occurring where the main speakers and subwoofer responses overlap, by minimizing and controlling the overlap.

This also creates significant headroom for your amplifier, since it no longer handles demanding deep bass information.

ie: you can play the system louder with less distortion and strain with a powered subwoofer.

It literally performs like a much more powerful amplifier.

Your speakers were designed to handle deep bass (And IMO the 603S3 has excellent bass performance), so there's no real danger of damaging the woofers, especially with a typical 100watt HT receiver.

Your tweeters are much more likely to fry than the bass units anyway.

Keep it at a level where the sound is clean and clear and you should have no problems.

Without a subwoofer, and mains with 6.5" woofers, I'd set the center to large.

Especially considering that your center has the same size woofers as your mains.

You mains have enough to do without having to also handle the bass from the center channel.

When you get a subwoofer (you will), set everything to small with 80hz crossover.

There is a good possibility that your receiver can remember different settings and modes for the various inputs.

My Denon works this way.

ie: Surround mode for DVD, Stereo for TV etc...

So, you can run a set of analog stereo cables from your DVD player to the "CD" input and connect the DVD toslink(digital 5.1) cable to the "DVD" input.

Set the mode for each input the way you like it, and the receiver should load those settings automatically when you select the input.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Large setting with no subwoofer

Small setting with subwoofer (and you want to use receiver's bass management)

Large setting with subwoofer (when you want the tuck the sub beneath the speakers frequency wise).

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Baller,

One critical thing - because of the differnet designs, you could get a situation where the center channel is in phase in the midrange and out of phase in the bass - a no win situation. Try this. Hook up the center channel on the left side and the 603 on the right side both in phase. Check out the imaging and bass with a stereo CD. Then, switch the polarity on the center and then see if it is better or worse. If it's ideal, you should get good imaging and good bass and you can run full range in that polarity. If the bass is worse, but the imaging is better, then crossover the bass to try to avoid losing bass. If you cross over the bass to the towers, you won't lose bass, but you can lose a little dynamic output.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.